My Navy Timeline for Radiculopathy

Just completed the final review with the attorney before my final sit down with the PEBLO so we can get my package sent off. The attorney believes I have a very strong case for a medical retirement! Lets hope there are no hiccups from here and it's smooth sailing *knocks on wood*.

Package being submitted on Monday for the big decision. Once a package is submitted for review/decision of fit/unfit, what's the typical wait time? Once an unfit decision is made, what is the timeline to separation?

Package being submitted on Monday for the big decision. Once a package is submitted for review/decision of fit/unfit, what's the typical wait time? Once an unfit decision is made, what is the timeline to separation?
Well, the DoD has a max of 45 days to determine fit/unfit status and a total of 90 days I believe to propose their rating before kicking it to the VA. At least, that is the timeline from SECNAVINST 1850.4E from 2002. I mention the instruction so that anybody who sees this can either correct me or use it for their own research purposes. The VA has a max of 120 days to propose their rating and then there is the DoD's Quality Assurance phase (unfortunately I'm not sure what the max time for that part is). After that, if you accept the findings, then you'll have 30 to 90 days to be fully discharged.

Here is the pertinent section from DTM-18-004 "Revised IDES Timelines" dtd 30 July 2018 available for download below or on the homepage for this site:

"b. PEB Phase. Complete the PEB phase in no more than 102 days starting on the date the MEB forwards the complete MEB case file and ending on the date the Military Department approves the final results of the disposition decision. The IDES stages within the PEB phase are:

(1) IPEB Stage. Complete the IPEB stage in no more than 11 days starting on the date the PEB receives the complete MEB case file and ending on the date the PEB forwards the initial fitness decision to either the PEBLO, if found fit, or to the VA Disability Rating Activity Site (D-RAS), for a proposed rating, if found unfit.

(2) Proposed Ratings Stage. Complete the proposed disability ratings in no more than 20 days starting on the date the PEB forwards the service treatment record and the request for rating to the D-RAS and ending on the date the D-RAS sends the proposed rating to PEB administration.

(3) Proposed Disposition. Complete the proposed disposition stage in no more than 5 days starting on the date the D-RAS sends proposed ratings to the PEB and ending on the date the PEB sends the assembled case file to the PEBLO for counseling the Service member.

(4) Elections. Complete the elections stage in no more than 6 days starting on the date the PEB sends the case file to the PEBLO for counseling the Service member and ending on the date the PEBLO returns the case file to the PEB with the Service member’s election to accept the IPEB findings or to request a formal PEB.

(5) Formal PEB (FPEB) Stage. Complete the Service member initiated FPEB stage in no more than 24 days starting on the date the Service member’s case file is sent to the PEB with the Service member's request for an FPEB and ending on the date the Service member's decision to accept or appeal the FPEB findings.

(6) FPEB Appeal Stage. Complete the Service member initiated appeal of FPEB findings in no more than 21 days starting on the date the Service member’s decision to appeal the FPEB findings is sent to the Secretary of the Military Department concerned, and ending on the date the Service member’s decision to accept the FPEB appeal findings or request a VA rating reconsideration, is sent to the military treatment facility or the VA.

(7) Rating Reconsideration Stage. Complete the Service member initiated VA rating reconsideration stage in no more than 4 days starting on the date the PEB forwards the rating reconsideration request to the D-RAS and ending on the date the D-RAS sends the rating reconsideration result to the PEB.

(8) Final Disposition. Complete the final disposition stage in no more than 11 days starting on the date the Service member accepts their disposition decision and ending on the date the Secretary of the Military Department concerned approves the Service member’s final disposition.

c. Service Member Transition Phase. The Service member transition phase of the IDES includes processing the Service member for separation or retirement. The IDES goal is to complete the Service member transition phase of the IDES process for Service members in 32 days (plus any amount of administrative absences or accrued leave the Service member is authorized to take) starting from the date the Secretary of the Military Department concerned approves the final disposition and ending on the date of the Service member’s separation or retirement from military service."

Attachments

• DTM-18-004 Revised IDES Timelines.pdf
    116.6 KB · Views: 21
Hey @MattCollins7, I am currently at the same step as you are. I am being med boarded for Cervical disc disorder with radiculopathy. My C&P exam was a joke and the dr said (without asking me) that my pain was mild and intermittent but in actual fact I have constant pain and take 1800MG of Gabapentin a day just to get through my day.
Just out of curiosity, did your Dr follow the DBQ and actually ask you questions, did the sensitivity prick test? My left arm has been numb for almost a year now and he butchered my ROM. Just wondering what your experience was like? Thanks.

Hey @MattCollins7, I am currently at the same step as you are. I am being med boarded for Cervical disc disorder with radiculopathy. My C&P exam was a joke and the dr said (without asking me) that my pain was mild and intermittent but in actual fact I have constant pain and take 1800MG of Gabapentin a day just to get through my day.
Just out of curiosity, did your Dr follow the DBQ and actually ask you questions, did the sensitivity prick test? My left arm has been numb for almost a year now and he butchered my ROM. Just wondering what your experience was like? Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear that about your pain. Unfortunately my VA doc did the same thing to mine. Without even asking put that pain was intermittent with no flare ups right after I had just told him that I have debilitating flare ups a couple times a month with constant pain daily as well. He didn't do the prick test and barely even did a physical exam. Depending on what my rating come back as, it looks like I may be appealing them since the VA's inputs were so "thorough". The VA doc did the same thing for my shoulder at a separate appointment. Seems to be their M.O.

I've been slacking on my updates but below you will find an updated timeline for my case. Thanks for following and stay tuned for further updates

UPDATE:
04MAY2018 - Referred by PCM to DES
07MAY2018 - Meeting with PEBLO & Conference call with Attorney
14MAY2018 - Had meeting with VA representative
18MAY2018 - VA Compensation claim submitted (Estimated Completion: 01/15/2019 - 08/28/2019)
11JUL2018 - C&P Audio Appointment
13JUL2018 - C&P Exam 2
14JUL2018 - C&P Ortho Exam
05AUG2018 - C&P Radiology
11AUG2018 - C&P Ortho Exam
13AUG2018 - NARSUM completed
02OCT2018 - C&P's finally received by PEBLO
16OCT2018 - C&P overview call with attorney
22OCT2018 - MEDBOARD package submitted for initial review

UPDATE:
04MAY2018 - Referred by PCM to DES
07MAY2018 - Meeting with PEBLO & Conference call with Attorney
14MAY2018 - Had meeting with VA representative
18MAY2018 - VA Compensation claim submitted (Estimated Completion: 01/15/2019 - 08/28/2019)
11JUL2018 - C&P Audio Appointment
13JUL2018 - C&P Exam 2
14JUL2018 - C&P Ortho Exam
05AUG2018 - C&P Radiology
11AUG2018 - C&P Ortho Exam
13AUG2018 - NARSUM completed
02OCT2018 - C&P's finally received by PEBLO
16OCT2018 - C&P overview call with attorney
22OCT2018 - MEDBOARD package submitted for initial review
05NOV2018 - Initial review completed. I am being submitted to PEB for an unfit consideration for my back conditions and shoulder conditions.
05NOV2018 - PEB submitted.

Was Radiculopathy listed as unfitting?

Yes it was. My radiculopathy is also accompanied by a fusion and nerve damage. I'm sure the attached conditions to the radiculopathy attributed to the unfit suggestion. I'm not sure if radiculopathy by itself is considered unfitting or not? I can let you know though once I get the PEB finding back.

Hello all, I just got my ratings... 100% DoD / 100% VA / PDRL. I'm going to post a timeline here covering my whole process, but I have to do a little research to figure out my exact dates. Long story short, this process started with my referral for MEB in July, with my findings coming in today, 5 November.

Hey @MattCollins7, apparently after a chat with an ex VA doctor he told me that the reason they don't rate your nerve pain as constant and severe is because by saying that following a surgery the VA will put your condition as an unstable condition and will land you on the TDRL as supposed to PDRL. Not sure if this is 100% true but I thought that could explain why the Dr down played our Radiculopathy to intermittent. Which sucks in some ways because it contradicts what/how the PEB finds you unfit for Radiculopathy. Also if you have some time read the following document: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/mra/CORB/Documents/SECNAVINST-1850-4E.PDF

As far as Radiculopathy is concerned the PEB finds it unfitting at the following degree:

Peripheral Nerve Dysfunctions

(1) Neuralgia. When severe, persistent, and not responsive to therapy.

(2) Neuritis. When manifested by more than moderate, permanent functional impairment.

(3) Paralysis due to Peripheral Nerve Injury. When manifested by more than moderate, permanent functional impairment.

l. Syringomyelia

m. General Neurological Disorders. Any other neurological condition, regardless of etiology, when, after adequate treatment, residual symptoms prevent the satisfactory performance of duty.

I'm hoping that the PEB finds my Radiculopathy unfitting too as it is way more dehabiltating that my ROM. i hope that you get some good news before thanksgiving. What ratings are you hoping for / wanting?
Also for your Radiculopathy did you have to have any supporting evidence like EMG and NCS studies done?

Oh and where did you see your status change to initial review completed? Thanks, appreciate your updated post!

Hey @MattCollins7, apparently after a chat with an ex VA doctor he told me that the reason they don't rate your nerve pain as constant and severe is because by saying that following a surgery the VA will put your condition as an unstable condition and will land you on the TDRL as supposed to PDRL. Not sure if this is 100% true but I thought that could explain why the Dr down played our Radiculopathy to intermittent. Which sucks in some ways because it contradicts what/how the PEB finds you unfit for Radiculopathy. Also if you have some time read the following document: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/mra/CORB/Documents/SECNAVINST-1850-4E.PDF

As far as Radiculopathy is concerned the PEB finds it unfitting at the following degree:

Peripheral Nerve Dysfunctions

(1) Neuralgia. When severe, persistent, and not responsive to therapy.

(2) Neuritis. When manifested by more than moderate, permanent functional impairment.

(3) Paralysis due to Peripheral Nerve Injury. When manifested by more than moderate, permanent functional impairment.

l. Syringomyelia

m. General Neurological Disorders. Any other neurological condition, regardless of etiology, when, after adequate treatment, residual symptoms prevent the satisfactory performance of duty.

I'm hoping that the PEB finds my Radiculopathy unfitting too as it is way more dehabiltating that my ROM. i hope that you get some good news before thanksgiving. What ratings are you hoping for / wanting?
Also for your Radiculopathy did you have to have any supporting evidence like EMG and NCS studies done?

Oh and where did you see your status change to initial review completed? Thanks, appreciate your updated post!

Thanks for sharing that, I will hopefully get a chance to read through it today. As for ratings, I am hoping for minimum DOD to be 30% and VA at least 70%(we'll see). It would be great to get the news before Thanksgiving but also would add stress to the holidays because I will be in "transition mode" thinking about everything I need to be doing to get ready to get out of the military.

And yes, I had an EMG and NCS done a while back that indicated radiculopathy and nerve damage on the right side from my low back all the way into my foot. The NCS sucked by the way! Lol! I almost accidentally kicked the doctor in the face a couple of times. Haha!

On Ebenefits, if you go to your "claim Status" it will show you the most current updates as to where your claim is in the process.

Hello all, I just got my ratings... 100% DoD / 100% VA / PDRL. I'm going to post a timeline here covering my whole process, but I have to do a little research to figure out my exact dates. Long story short, this process started with my referral for MEB in July, with my findings coming in today, 5 November.

Congrats on your ratings! Is that what you were hoping for? Looking forward to seeing your timeline, it seems to have moved along much faster than mine.

I know what you mean, I was told "you could be out as soon as March or as late as 2020", I guess it all depends on what the IPEB comes back with and if you are happy with accepting those ratings. I am also hoping for DOD 30%, and (70-90% VA all depends on how far you are wanting to fight it.

Atleast you have the evidence of EMG and NCS's done, most guys I see on here getting radiculopathy denied is because of lack of NCS and EMG's (Ive had two done on each arm, pre and post fusion and yeah it sucked)

I checked Ebenefits and it still says Review of evidence :(. Thanks though, I will keep a lookout on there.

Congrats on your ratings! Is that what you were hoping for? Looking forward to seeing your timeline, it seems to have moved along much faster than mine.

I was hoping for 30% DoD and PDRL. I was just hoping to be retired and not separated with severance I guess, so I was happy to see what I got. I'll try to post my full timeline later today.

Here is my timeline:

24 May 18: Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery
29 May 18: Discharged from hospital
2 Jul 18: Referred for MEB
10 Jul 18: Met with PEBLO
11 Jul 18: Phone consultation with attorney
23 Jul 18: Met with VA MSC; claims submitted
14-15 Aug 18: QTC Appointments
4 Sep 18: NARSUM Signed
6 Sep 18: NMA Signed
13 Sep 18: Found unfit by MEB; referred to PEB
20 Sep 18: Lawyer review of PEB package
24 Sep 18: Personal Statement Complete
24 Sep 18: PEBLO sent package to PEB
25 Sep 18: Package received by PEB
9 Oct 18: Found UNFIT by PEB; package sent to VA
23 Oct 18: Ebenefits status changed to "Pending Decision Approval"
24 Oct 18: Ebenefits updates "Documents Needed From You"; indicates "VA Form <number>" needed
25 Oct 18: Notified PEBLO; PEBLO indicates she has not been notified of any document requirements
30 Oct 18: Received notice in the mail from VA stating "You may be entitled to additional benefits" with instructions to submit claim
31 Oct 18: PEBLO and MSC assured me the process would not be delayed and to fill out the form and return it ASAP
1 Nov 18: Additional claim submitted via Ebenefits
5 Nov 18: PEBLO received findings; DoD 100% / VA 100% / PDRL; Ebenefits still stated "Pending Decision Approval"

Although I'm satisfied with the results, I'm having them reviewed by an attorney in the interest of being thorough prior to accepting. I intend to request a terminal leave date beginning the first week of January with my final day in the Navy being in late March. I'll update everyone on the transition process so you know what timelines look like on your way out.

Throughout the process, my PEBLO told me not to rely on Ebenefits for updates because it isn't necessarily accurate for those in the IDES process.

Thanks for sharing the timeline. I've noticed that Ebenefits tends to be behind the curve. It would sure be nice if they had a specific tracker that was available throughout the process for us in the IDES system to be able to check without having to call multiple people for answers. You'd think by now they would(maybe they do and I just don't know about it?!).

I accepted my findings today, 13 Nov. The forms were sent back to PEB in DC today as well so they'll have it first thing tomorrow morning (14 Nov). I'm hoping to receive my message indicating my final day in the Navy within the next two weeks. I'm being optimistic with that timeline because I think there may be a slight delay due to Thanksgiving. We'll see though... I've got my fingers crossed that my last day will be in the end of February so I can take job/house hunting PTDY and terminal leave. I don't want to sell any leave back. It's a much better deal to take the leave.