My Overseas Timeline So Far

jyreene

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Here is my timeline so far:

May 2000 – Left Shoulder surgery and start of 13 month LIMDU
Jul 2001 – Return to full duty
Oct 2003 – Back injury
Mar 2005 – Re-injured back place on light duty at a training command for 1 year (not allowed but it’s what they did)
Mar 2006 – Back to full duty
Winter 2013/14 – Bad concussion while deployed
Aug 2015 – PTSD symptoms start
Apr 2017 – Breathing problems start
Jul 2017 – Diagnosed with PTSD by State Department Psych
Nov/Dec 2017 – Outpatient hospitalization at Walter Reed for PTSD
Dec 2017 – Diagnosis changed by Navy Docs to general anxiety disorder so I could return to duty as DetComdr
Sep 2018 – After PCS’ing returned to Behavioral Health
Oct 2018 – Diagnosed with PTSD
Dec 2018 – Diagnosed with moderate/severe Asthma
Jan 2019 – Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
Jul 2019 – BH recommended med board
Aug 2019 – BH recommends PEB due to condition not likely to improve over a 12 month period
Oct 2019 – 6100/5 drafted and signed
Oct 2019 – Find out the Navy is still going to try and put me through the now non-existent Overseas IDES process
Nov 2019 – Submit all PEB paperwork minus C&P exams per old OIDES process
Nov 2019 – Lawyer up and get help
Nov 2019 – PEB case suspended due to needing more paperwork
Dec 2019 – All paperwork submitted
Jan 2019 – PEB Review section says papers not received, re-forward paperwork and screenshot of HAIMS showing it was submitted.
Jan 2019 – Find out Navy now doesn’t WANT to use OIDES process but doesn’t “know” how to stop using it

I am stationed in Germany and it has been a process so far. There are no PEBLOs in Europe, even in Naples, where my Corpsmen apparently are. I am an hour drive from Landstuhl where the Army has VA docs and C&P certified examiners. They also have PEBLOs for the Army and there are Marine and Navy Liaison dets out there. They were trying to process me using the old OIDES process that sends my medical record and the PEB/MEB recommendation through a “pre-review” process that would determine if I meet criteria for a PEB. If not met, then it gets deleted. If met, the I would have been PCS’d to the states for IDES entry and PEB processing. However, the new SECNAVISNTR gets rid of the OIDES process. At the start of a PEB, my command would have to elect to either PCS me to do the PEB process or pay for a TAD so I can get my C&P exams. My command has already stated they are willing to pay for a TAD.

I’m pretty much hanging in the wind now waiting for many people to make up their darned minds. The lawyer (pro bono thankfully) has been a great help and is actually the reason the Navy has finally said they don’t want to keep doing the old process but don’t know how to stop it.

I have many other maladies that I have incurred over service. I was planning on 30 until the Asthma diagnosis and then my PTSD just got worse. I am over 20 so if things just really don’t go my way I can still retire. My contract doesn’t end until Jul 2021 so I can’t be given presumptive fit until Aug 2020 (of course this process could take forever).

This site has given me some good insight but I haven’t seen anyone with this unique situation so I’m putting mine out there. What makes me the most angry is the younger, lower ranking, Marines/Sailors that may be going through this. I have a little more experience and weight as a MSgt and am still getting this crap.

Welcome to the forum. Getting crap appears the norm. I was fortunate both times to have the support of leadership. It says something about leadership that only care about their subordinates when they are fir enough to produce.

Thank you. It does. Makes me wonder what they do to the ones that don't have the time, access, or ability to perform research so they are not screwed over. I am very thankfully that my command is going to bat for me and willing to put the screws to whom they needed.

Greetings from Okinawa!
I am currently stuck in the same type of limbo with the OIDES process. My PEBLO here informed me yesterday that the Navy has put a hold on all overseas packages. That’s great. Now I sit and wait on a process that’s at an administrative stand-still.
It is good to have a contact that is undergoing the same process. I will be sure to let you know if there’s any movement on my end.

Greetings from Okinawa!
I am currently stuck in the same type of limbo with the OIDES process. My PEBLO here informed me yesterday that the Navy has put a hold on all overseas packages. That’s great. Now I sit and wait on a process that’s at an administrative stand-still.
It is good to have a contact that is undergoing the same process. I will be sure to let you know if there’s any movement on my end.
You have a PEBLO!!!! You have a leg up on me! But yeah, it is good to know, but shitty to still be the case, that someone else is having troubles also. I will keep this thread up to date as things progress.

Update - I got unofficial word that all cases are suspended overseas also. They apparently are working on a new instruction, which is great news until you consider they JUST released one that got rid of the OIDES in September 2019. However, I will be processed under DES no matter what....but I have to wait until they figure this all out.

Same here! Just waiting on one last addendum to my package. My buddy just got his pkg warranted last week, so maybe there's still hope! Will keep you posted.

The head of the BH clinic here has been helpful. She contacted some people she knows and might have things moving some.

This is getting infuriating. The local Army personnel are very helpful...to a Marine. The head of BH Clinic is still in my corner and has been getting a rash of people just running her around. Last heard, the process is back with Naples and 'per the new order' they are to work with my parent command to get me transfer orders. Which completely ignores the part about sending me TDY if my command authorizes it (which they will).

I still don't have a PEBLO. I spoke with my wife and we are willing to just do the transfer orders if we can work some magic and have her and the kids stay in Germany until the school year is done (which is a big magic move because I am their SOFA sponsor). Since I have my clearance on hold, and really barely have the faculties to sit at work, let alone actually do anything, what would a possible future transferred look like? Is it possible to just get transferred to a Wounded Warrior BN or Regiment before being entered into IDES? I'm ready to move on...or even be given any sort of actual update on where my process is.

I've been having worse and worse flash backs, episodes, etc from PTSD and asthma. I'm not going to hurt myself or others. I just have nothing left to give.

Yeah, I can agree with your frustrations. Right now, I have a case manager coordinating medical TAD for a full cardiac workup in Hawaii. In my mind, it would be the most cost effective to have me complete my VA exams while there. Everyone I've presented that to has looked at me like I have a dangling participle growing out of my forehead.

Yeah, I can agree with your frustrations. Right now, I have a case manager coordinating medical TAD for a full cardiac workup in Hawaii. In my mind, it would be the most cost effective to have me complete my VA exams while there. Everyone I've presented that to has looked at me like I have a dangling participle growing out of my forehead.

That would make too much sense.

Updated timeline

May 2000 – Left Shoulder surgery and start of 13 month LIMDU
Jul 2001 – Return to full duty
Oct 2003 – Back injury
Mar 2005 – Re-injured back place on light duty at a training command for 1 year (not allowed but it’s what they did)
Mar 2006 – Back to full duty
Winter 2013/14 – Bad concussion while deployed
Aug 2015 – PTSD symptoms start
Apr 2017 – Breathing problems start
Jul 2017 – Diagnosed with PTSD by State Department Psych
Nov/Dec 2017 – Outpatient hospitalization at Walter Reed for PTSD
Dec 2017 – Diagnosis changed by Navy Docs to general anxiety disorder so I could return to duty as DetComdr
Sep 2018 – After PCS’ing returned to Behavioral Health
Oct 2018 – Diagnosed with PTSD
Dec 2018 – Diagnosed with moderate/severe Asthma
Jan 2019 – Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea
Jul 2019 – BH recommended med board
Aug 2019 – BH recommends PEB due to condition not likely to improve over a 12 month period
Oct 2019 – 6100/5 drafted and signed
Oct 2019 – Find out the Navy is still going to try and put me through the now non-existent Overseas IDES process
Nov 2019 – Submit all PEB paperwork minus C&P exams per old OIDES process
Nov 2019 – Lawyer up and get help
Nov 2019 – PEB case suspended due to needing more paperwork
Dec 2019 – All paperwork submitted
Jan 2020 – PEB Review section says papers not received, re-forward paperwork and screenshot of HAIMS showing it was submitted.
Jan 2020 – Find out Navy now doesn’t WANT to use OIDES process but doesn’t “know” how to stop using it
Feb 2020 - MMSR-4 rep is allegedly working on getting me transfer orders
Feb 2020 - Navy PEB lawyer call. He will try and get me a PEBLO assigned

I honestly feel that if I can even just get a PEBLO assigned then the C&P's will happen since they are the ones that have to initiate the paperwork. However, at this point I would just accept the transfer orders to get this process moving.

I have heard that the updated Navy Policy on DES and overseas has been published. Does anyone happen to have a copy somewhere?

Possible update. The Corpsman in Naples asked if there was a specific duty station I would prefer to get transferred to in the states to conduct my C&P exams. I know the MCO on assignments has specific ones spelled out in it but I shot my over the back three pointer from the locker room and requested San Antonio since that is where I will retire too.

I'll keep this update as things "unfold".

Still no PEBLO assigned yet though.

Update but not an update.

I've attached the ASN MRA policy for the Navy and Marine overseas DES process. It has good information but still doesn't really provide the way ahead. It does require the Navy and Marine Corps to update all orders associated by 20 April. Time will tell.

I've submitted an Administrative Action for early return of my dependents so the kids don't have to end up being yanked from a school early or in the middle. I requested my SEL and BN CO step in because I needed forward movement of my process or I would be dropping CONGRINTs because of the broken process. I know timelines can be long but to have it paused from basically September until now (and still paused) is not acceptable. I know I can just drop retirement papers and am close to it but fuck, I'm in a bad state. My family is supportive, I just don't have anything to give.

I don't know what help the forum can provide but...does anyone know anyone that works at MMEA in the HUMS section? That is apparently where my orders should be issued. It got sent there about 2 weeks PRIOR to any COVID-19 actions happening. Barring that, does anyone have any advice, or can assist with getting me transferred to the Wounded Warrior Det in San Antonio? It's where my family and I are going to retire.

Attachments

• ASN MRA DES Policy Guidance Concerning Overseas - Remote Duty Location March 2020.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 18
Being your still in keep moving up the chain man. Eventually you'll get someone's attention. Not sure on Navy but AF we had the base Command Chief highest Enlisted for the base I had to get him involved when it came to enlistment bonus that just never got processed. I was on the verge of PCS'ing and hadn't got it, about a month after he got involved it hit my bank account.

Good luck

Greetings from Okinawa!
Has there been any update to your stuff. Also out here in Okinawa and just sent my NMA to the PEBLO this week. Just wondering how the process may look from here.

Not gonna lie, I just now noticed the dangling participle comment and I couldn't agree more with that assessment. It's like people's brains are not allowed to here anything regarding TDY for the C&P exams.

Has there been any update to your stuff. Also out here in Okinawa and just sent my NMA to the PEBLO this week. Just wondering how the process may look from here.

I'll let slimothy1914 respond for his stuff but it will basically be kind of stuck there. However, they are supposed to then see if your command is willing to cover a TDY for the C&P exams, find out if they can be had on island (last heard they cannot but they are available in Tokyo), and if the command is not willing to pay for a TDY then they are to reach out to MMSR-4 to initiated a PCS for the PEB. They will process the initial part and then send it to the HUMS section of MMEA. That is where mine is since everyone ignores the TDY portion even if the command is willing to pay. However, the process seems to break down at every step of the way. I have been using my MSgt powers to get things moving when I can but I barely have the inclination to even do that (working on it but COVID has bade psych appointments kind of worthless).

Being your still in keep moving up the chain man. Eventually you'll get someone's attention. Not sure on Navy but AF we had the base Command Chief highest Enlisted for the base I had to get him involved when it came to enlistment bonus that just never got processed. I was on the verge of PCS'ing and hadn't got it, about a month after he got involved it hit my bank account.

Good luck

I have been doing that and they have been pushing and getting the same response everyone has, silence or options that allow the Marine Corps to just retire me without doing any PEB processing beyond what I've done. As mentioned, I am a Master Sergeant (your Senior level in the AF) so I have considerable pull in my sphere but it ends once anything gets to the HQ level of the Marine Corps. Even a buddy that is the Monitor (our assignments person) is getting radio silence.

I'll let slimothy1914 respond for his stuff but it will basically be kind of stuck there. However, they are supposed to then see if your command is willing to cover a TDY for the C&P exams, find out if they can be had on island (last heard they cannot but they are available in Tokyo), and if the command is not willing to pay for a TDY then they are to reach out to MMSR-4 to initiated a PCS for the PEB. They will process the initial part and then send it to the HUMS section of MMEA. That is where mine is since everyone ignores the TDY portion even if the command is willing to pay. However, the process seems to break down at every step of the way. I have been using my MSgt powers to get things moving when I can but I barely have the inclination to even do that (working on it but COVID has bade psych appointments kind of worthless).
Oh wow, well at least I have a better idea of what to expect. I am so brand new to this process and trying to learn all I can about the admin side of the house so I do not get boned too hard. As of now, you are correct there is not a VA presence here in Okinawa (just the rep who speaks at TRS). I am just ready for this whole process to be over so I can get on with my life, the last year and a half has been exhausting and I am done getting stuck with needles. I just need a lifestyle change to preserve what I have left. I can't believe at your rank with your experience and obvious familiarity with the whole process, I just a little old SSgt that is searching in a dark with a match light. The COVID is most definitely putting a damper on the whole entire process... I am just hoping the whole PEB be officially submitted with all notes by the end of April. All I really know at this point is a couple weeks ago when I met with the orthopedic surgeon, he recommended a PEB. I found the PEBLO and got the NMA template from him and sent it through my command and gave it back to him. Not sure what the current hold up here, there are skeleton shifts everywhere, its a ghost town. Thanks for the heads up on the process and sharing the documents. I am just hoping to be out by the end of the year.