My Portsmouth Naval Hospital Time!!!!

GoWings

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So this is what my timeline looks like now.

1st Shoulder Injury: April 2007
Light Duty: April 2007
1st Surgery Date: Aug 28, 2008
1st LIMDU: Aug 28, 2008
2nd Shoulder Injury: Aug 2011
2nd LIMDU: Jan 3, 2012
3rd LIMDU: Jul 4, 2012
MEB Initiated: Aug 28, 2012
VA MSC Counseling: Sep 5, 2012
1st VA Physical: Sep 20, 2012
DTAP: Sep 24, 2012
NARSUM Reviewed/ Signed: Oct 5, 2012
PEB Unfit Oct 19, 2012
Meeting with PEBLO Nov 5, 2012
Received Ratings.

10% DOD for Shoulder Instability and 50% for various other ailments.

As I said I went through Portsmouth Naval Hospital for the DOD portion and went through Providence for my Va portion. It is kind of interesting since Ebenefits updated yesterday to show that my evidence is past due... Hope this helps everyone.

Have you signed your findings yet? If not, you may want to sit down with Mrs. Yarbrough or Mr. Fritz and verify you range of motion results. I got mine back and it was interpreted wrong. Shoulder here to.

No not yet. I have to schedule an appt with Mr. Fritz today. I am going to look into everything. I am going to use my whole 10 days.

GoWings what where your conditions for the VA %s. I just cant believe how fast your case went. I could only wish.

GoWings what where your conditions for the VA %s. I just cant believe how fast your case went. I could only wish.

Dear GoWings:

Are you able to give a break-down of what you military unfit conditions are and their corresponding percentages?

Also, what did the VA give you?

V/r,
nwlivewire

DOD unfitting condition

Recurrent right shoulder instability and labral tear 10%

VA

Tension Headaches 10%
Neck Strain 10%
Left Shoulder Strain 10%
GERD 10%
Right/Left Wrist
Tendonitis 10%
Right/ Left Foot
Plantar Fasciitis 0%

Scars, Hair Loss and Allergies not rated.

So this is a total of 10% for the DOD and 50% for the VA.

I am going to go see the JAG on Wednesday 07 Nov to see what he says and probably sign my paperwork.
This is pretty much what I figured was going to happen. I think I may ask for reconsideration on my wrists but other than that I think I am happy with the findings.

DOD unfitting condition

Recurrent right shoulder instability and labral tear 10%

VA

Tension Headaches 10%
Neck Strain 10%
Left Shoulder Strain 10%
GERD 10%
Right/Left Wrist
Tendonitis 10%
Right/ Left Foot
Plantar Fasciitis 0%

Scars, Hair Loss and Allergies not rated.

So this is a total of 10% for the DOD and 50% for the VA.

I am going to go see the JAG on Wednesday 07 Nov to see what he says and probably sign my paperwork.
This is pretty much what I figured was going to happen. I think I may ask for reconsideration on my wrists but other than that I think I am happy with the findings.

Dear GoWings:

I am pleased to read you are going to check with JAG before signing.

Are all your conditions included?

Were they all rated correctly IAW severity/loss of use from VASRD?

10% will only award severance - no retirement.

Have you thought about putting in a request for continuation on Active Duty? (COAD)

Keep us posted Brother!

V/r,
nwlivewire

Yeah that is everything. I didn't have much. Like I said this is pretty much what I expected. I understand that I am only getting severance but I think at this point it will be more beneficial for myself and my family to accept the severance so away we go. My family and I are ready to get this whole process over and move on. So looks like probably around February I will be on my way to the civilian world.

Yeah that is everything. I didn't have much. Like I said this is pretty much what I expected. I understand that I am only getting severance but I think at this point it will be more beneficial for myself and my family to accept the severance so away we go. My family and I are ready to get this whole process over and move on. So looks like probably around February I will be on my way to the civilian world.

OK GoWings. I totally get it.

By any chance, will you have to wait to get your VA compensation until you repay all your severance pay?

Or did you get rated so you will not have to repay your severance and you can begin to receive your VA compensation after discharge?

Will your severance be Federally taxed?

Just wondering how these things may or may not impact your transition with you and your family to civilian life.

I just hope you get the stongest send-off possible!

V/r,
nwlivewire

NW,

From what I was told by my PEBLO I will only pay back the severance pay at the rate of my unfitting condition. So I will get 40% VA rate and the other 10% will pay back my severance. It will be taxed at first but since the VA also rated my unfitting condition I will get the taxed moneys back. Things are going to get interesting now. My last day on active duty is Jan 31.

NW,

From what I was told by my PEBLO I will only pay back the severance pay at the rate of my unfitting condition. So I will get 40% VA rate and the other 10% will pay back my severance. It will be taxed at first but since the VA also rated my unfitting condition I will get the taxed moneys back. Things are going to get interesting now. My last day on active duty is Jan 31.

Thanks GoWings for providing the full picture of your situation.

I understand from other who have rec'd severance that it's a good thing paperwork-wise and tax-wise to be discharged and receive severance pay duringthe same tax year. Looks like that's going to be your situation.

Have you read up on other threads posted on this website about severance pay tax recoupment and its process?

You might want to read up on this so you know the severance pay recoupment/tax refund road and the load in advance. That way, you can get all your paperwork ducks collected and all in a row so you can cut down the amount of time it can take to get your refund back.

V/r,
nwlivewire

Thanks. Got the paperwork from my PEBLO.. All I am doing now is waiting for the severance to come in.

Thanks. Got the paperwork from my PEBLO.. All I am doing now is waiting for the severance to come in.

Great!

I sure hope you and your famly the very best GoWings.

Thank-you for being one of the 1% who serve this nation.

Any idea on what you're going to do? Work? School? Fish? :)

V/r,
nwlivewire

GoWings make sure you verify you VA %s, cause 5 conditions at 10% actually comes out to 40% va disabled. Use this link and you can input the 5 conditions and it will verify your %s after compiled. http://www.hadit.com/SCDCalculator.php/ Alot of guys on here think hey I have 8 10% conditions, that means I am 80%, but infact they really are 60%. Just trying to help, I didnt know thats how it worked to recently. God Bless Bud and wish you the best. Active Bud!

I just ready to get this process over so I can move on with my life. I am now just waiting on the message so I can go on terminal leave and take PTDY.. Hopefully that will be soon. I have been told it is taking about 7 weeks.

NW, I am looking for work. My wife has to quit her job so we can move back home. Hopefully I can get a good job and we will be all set. No way can i afford to live on my VA payments.

I just ready to get this process over so I can move on with my life. I am now just waiting on the message so I can go on terminal leave and take PTDY.. Hopefully that will be soon. I have been told it is taking about 7 weeks.

NW, I am looking for work. My wife has to quit her job so we can move back home. Hopefully I can get a good job and we will be all set. No way can i afford to live on my VA payments.

OK GoWings. I've also been told that for VA and DoD purposes, it is to your advantage to have a discharge date AFTER the 25th of your discharge month. Has something to do with DFAS/VA payroll input cycles is what I've been told.

What state are you moving to? With severance discharge, are you entitled to a final move at gov't expense?

V/r,
nwlivewire

I know it has been awhile but I moved back to my home state of Michigan. Took me about 6 weeks to finally get a job but I have one and I am still going on interviews. My discharged date was Jan 31st. I received my taxed severance on Jan 31st. Ebenefits updated today to show my final ratings have finally been mailed to me today. I have one condition I was not rated on being reviewed. Once I get my rating I can send paperwork back to DFAS to receive the rest of my severance.

GoWings...how long did it take for your message to come out with your separation date? I just signed my findings last week, and requested a separation date of May 31, 2013. I am trying to plan, so I can get a renter set up for my house here, and find a house down in Texas.