My timeline: back pain, failed back surgery

pappabear_usaf

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey all. Active duty MSgt, very close to 21 yrs in...REDUX election.

Nov 2010: Lost Amn while deployed (not combat related, but very...messy)
Feb 2011: Hurt back, not combat related. Redeployed later that month
2011 - present: Diagnosed with PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety, Migraines, Sleep Apnea, episodic insomnia. Been on meds for all (and APAP for apnea) ever since.
Aug 2013: First MEB, RTD with C2 code (only looked at back and apnea)
Nov 2014: Fusion L5-S1
Sept 2016: Pain Exercise Therapy "camp" (two weeks, PTDY)
Jan 2018: Anxiety, Migraines, Insomnia, and back pain slowly get worse and worse. Start missing work or leaving early.
May 2018: Removed from position and reassigned elsewhere in the unit due to lack of performance (no disciplinary actions)
June 2018: Notified by a PEBLO that the DAWG determined my "CHRONIC LOWER BACK PAIN WITH RADICULOPATHY" may preclude me from performing my AFSC duties...
June 2018: Commander's Letter sent to PEBLO, he recommended unfit
June 2018: Spinal Cord Stimulator trial - worked wonders for back pain
July 2018: Implant of spinal cord stimulator - still works wonders. Went from a daily avg of 7/10 to 2/10 at worst.
Sept 2018: PCM appt to discuss NARSUM

This is where I am currently at.

So all of this is for my back issues, none for the mental health. I realize that the VA will handle that. I'm just having trouble with the maths right now (because it's all stressing me out and I like to plan for the worst, hope for the best).

Since I am REDUX, a normal retirement for me right now would be 43.5%. I estimate my High-3 average to be $4555. Now I believe I read on DFAS that if I am medically retired, I am calculated under High-3, not REDUX (though the 1% COLA reduction stays). So I would get 52.5% of $4555 = $2390 for YOS.

If I get DoD 0-50%, YOS would be the most beneficial ($2390) no matter what (though it still has to be 30% or more DoD to be considered a medical retirement, right?). If I get more than 50% DoD, then the disability rating would simply be more beneficial, correct? So if DoD gives me 60%, then I would want to take the $2730. Is there ANY reason why I wouldn't want to?

Then on the VA side, assuming I automatically get 50% for the apnea...I am going to just guess I can get up to 80% VA = $1770. Now with Concurrent Receipt (nothing is going to fall under CRSC) and me being over 20 yrs, is it a simple add DoD (or YOS) to my VA rating and get my monthly total? Is there an offset (that doesn't cancel itself out) that I am missing?

Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated.

you wouldn’t happen to have just come back from a inpatient would you?

It depends on your rating. You get the higher of your years service or your unfitting percentage. So 21 years normally gets 52.5% (or your redux amount) , but if you are rated 60% you get 60%. 70% gets 70%. The max is 75%, so a rating of 80%, 90% or 100% gets 75%.

It depends on your rating. You get the higher of your years service or your unfitting percentage. So 21 years normally gets 52.5% (or your redux amount) , but if you are rated 60% you get 60%. 70% gets 70%. The max is 75%, so a rating of 80%, 90% or 100% gets 75%.

Didn't I read somewhere that if you are medically retired, you end up with High-3 even if you signed for REDUX? The only thing that stays is the 1% COLA penalty.

2011 - present: Diagnosed with PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety, Migraines, Sleep Apnea, episodic insomnia. Been on meds for all (and APAP for apnea) ever since.
Jan 2018: Anxiety, Migraines, Insomnia, and back pain slowly get worse and worse. Start missing work or leaving early.
May 2018: Removed from position and reassigned elsewhere in the unit due to lack of performance (no disciplinary actions)
June 2018: Notified by a PEBLO that the DAWG determined my "CHRONIC LOWER BACK PAIN WITH RADICULOPATHY" may preclude me from performing my AFSC duties...
July 2018: Implant of spinal cord stimulator - still works wonders. Went from a daily avg of 7/10 to 2/10 at worst.
25 Sept: Code 37 assigned

Didn't I read somewhere that if you are medically retired, you end up with High-3 even if you signed for REDUX? The only thing that stays is the 1% COLA penalty.
I honest don't know much about Redux. I remember looking at it and thinking heck NO.

Mike

9 Oct: First PEBLO meeting

JAG, PEBLO, transition...everyone has told me you get High 3 except one lady at retirement services. I'm calling DFAS to get answer

Yea I get different answers as well, but from the looks of it it'll be High-3. I hope it goes fast as it has for a few on here, because my Command is giving me so much grief I am just done with it. I had 20 great years, and they've made my remaining time hell.

Update to timeline:
18 Oct: First VA Rep meeting (awaiting to schedule exams next)

Called IDES Jag this morning who says High-3 with cola offset. Then read this in the Army 2018 pre-retirement guide. Noone knows what's right.

Attachments

• IMG_1972.PNG
    IMG_1972.PNG
    495.2 KB · Views: 7
Update to timeline:
30 Oct: First of many C&P exams, scheduled through first week of Nov

Update to timeline:
6 Nov: C&P Exams done

Update to timeline:
6 Nov: C&P Exams done
21 Nov: Signed NARSUM. Off to IPEB/AFPC.

Update to timeline:
6 Nov: C&P Exams done]
21 Nov: Signed NARSUM. Off to IPEB/AFPC
13 Dec: Crickets, and a new PEBLO assigned

Update to timeline:
6 Nov: C&P Exams done]
21 Nov: Signed NARSUM. Off to IPEB/AFPC
13 Dec: Crickets, and a new PEBLO assigned
3 Feb: Still crickets. New PEBLO doesn't communicate well.