My Timeline for Back and Hip Problems

trav2210

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Let me first start by describing my condiditons. I was lifting avionics that was not overly heavy, but enough to make a pop in my back. Upon multiple "second opinions" I have a diagnosis.

Spondylolisthesis grade 1 with degenerative disc disease and pars defect. As well as Femoracitabular Hip Impingments on both hips and a labrel tear in my left hip.

15MAR2011- Injury occured
AUG2011-1st Period LIMDU
JAN2012- 2nd Period LIMDU
6JUN2012-MEB Submitted
13JUN2012- Started Process of VA exams

i will be following your case as you have most of my condutions

I hate to say that I'm happy to share our problems, but it is nice to have a reference to another member though. I'm currently getting started on my claims so I will post up everything as soon as i know it.

I have a very similar condition. How did your ROM tests look?
Your process seems to be going a little quicker than mine. How goes it now? Any word fit/unfit??

EDIT/UPDATE

AUG2011-1st Period LIMDU
19JUL2012- Meeting with Patient Admin to submit MEB?

Seems as though no one at my current command understands any of this process. Now that I spoke with the DES branch of Camp Pendleton they've informed me that I'm just starting the IDES process. So...

AUG2011-1st Period LIMDU
19JUL2012- Submitted Claim with VA/MEB and Scheduled for VA Exams
07AUG2012-First VA exams

Stilol have not started my va exams but PCM told me she was starting the MEB "Soon" my guess is she is waiting until after my sleep study/hematology consults.

thats good. I found out that the process starts very fast once your MEB is dictated. Once that starts you'll know the process because it all starts to get official with signatures and such. I also saw the VA imediatly after my MEB appt and they scheduled the C&P exams. I just got the packet in the mail for my VA appt's and it is huge.

Yup, MEB appt, VA C/P then wait wait wait wait wait wait hurry up and out process. Whereas my injuries are really making my life hell, and i cannot do any thing at work, My chain is being great about it and as bad as this sounds, I am still getting full pay and benefits for working half days, so I might as well hurt there for now. plus From stuff i learn here I am able to help all the Airmen types going through this process that everyone forgets about.

I agree about the half days and full pay. I'm basically getting paid to to go to Physical Therapy. Anyways. I just got scheduled for DTAP. Its 11SEP2012.

Aparently at dtap classes at Camp Pendleton are only half day long, so I'm assuming that I must take that class along with taps class.

AUG2011-1st Period LIMDU
19JUL2012- Submitted Claim with VA/MEB and Scheduled for VA Exams
07AUG2012-First VA exams
11SEP2012-DTAP Class​

Yep, did my pre-sep brief today and TAP 24 sep and DTAP is the last 2 days. Still have not officially started MEB yet BUT was told today by a different squadrons chief I have known for awhile that they have to wait atleast 9-months to the day to start it from a major surgery, and since they are still debating the other hip surgeries and I have my sleep study/cardio doc appts next week. I am hoping they get to the root of why I am not healing properly before they have to stop.

Finished up my Va appointments yesterday and the doctor there was extremely helpful. She said to let her know anywhere that I feel pain and also did good on the rom tests. I will see if I can get a copy of the report.

On a good not today I received a copy of my NMA before it got sent off. Good stuff there including the fact that my injury originallystarted in a combat tax exclusion zone.

I know its only been a couple of days, but any news?
I got a lidocaine/steroid injection in my inguanal muslce today approx 2hrs after I had chiropractor and I know its just the lidocaine speaking, but i feel better atleast in that area- I still have all the pain and other issues down the other 75% of that hip, but any improvement is nice. Pain management Doc said that if it makes any difference then he will go ahead with nerve ablation for that group which will fix nothing but at least reduce the pain for 8-9 months.

I had the injections too, but i had a different response...PAIN. The injections don't really work for me, although i did get the lidocane into my back for a spasm and that temporarily reduced the spasm. As far as updates goes, The only thing lately is that my PEBLO called and said that all the info is in from my VA exams. I'm assuming this means she is assembling my NARSUM.

I will find more out on the 17th of sep and will post up what I find.

Yeah, the steroid injection was in the inguinal area to test if i was a canidate for nerve ablation by my pain management. Sad state of affairs when they have given up fixing me and told me to accept my new "normal" of pain. My PCM told me Monday that this LIMDU officially starts my MEB, so i should here something soon. Which is sad becuase i had pretty much decided to give up fighting tricare again and have them replace my left hip as well. My hematologist said my blood was clean and it was safe to proceed. So now I have to wait until the MEB is done, i get situated in civil life/disability and then go through it all over again. The good thing is with having the one hip replaced the lowest they can go for unfitting is 30%. So even though I still take lortab and ultram and celebrex every day to get by, they have decided ive obtained max benefit.

Okay,
Got some info today. I met with the PEBLO who is great at HER job but not for anyone elses part in the matter. She has a tendancy to say...
Do you want to make a statement?
me...About what?
Her...Just in case you'd like to have it reviewed again
ME....Why?
Her...in case you think we missed something

It would be nice to know whats actually happening, but Then again thats what this forum and my own brain is for.

Anyways, i got my C&P review back and have all of the ROM tests

Some interesting info about the exam is that no goinometer was used but I think the doc got it correct on the spine part. The hips were another story...

2012-09-17_22-15-50_419.jpg

2012-09-17_22-14-27_678.jpg

Very tough call, I am guessing 40% spine and maybe 10% by default on the hips because of the painful motion.

I know a lot of people wonder how to check the status of their peb and are told to either call the VA's 800 number or to check eBenifits, but I was wondering if anyone could help explain some of the problems with those methods.

Currently I call the VA's 800 number and it says "unfortunatley we are unable to connect your call at this time". All i am doing is going through the options to get to talk to someone and no matter if I'm trying to talk to someone about disability or buying a house, thats what it says.

Now, on Ebenifits, I watch that every day. I hope to see some change and I've only seen it once. It switched to Gathering Evidence. Then it says that "unfortunatley, your regional office is unable to provide estimated date of completion". No surprise there. When i look at the evidence recieved/required it states two things. First is "requesting verification of service" and the second thing is it's due date, which is over 2 months ago.

I'm really getting frustrated trying to just find out a smidge of info on my case. I called my PEBLO to ask how to check the status, and she says to call the E7 accross the hall from her (she's a CIV). I call him and they say absolutley nothing. Something like "your package was signed right?" and "you just have to wait for an answer back".

Anyone know where else I can call to find any info at all.