mypay/crsc/backpay question

Jared Lee

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was awarded my higher crsc of 100%/595 last pay statement. I already have received the 1st payment and stub and am curious if the retro-pay shows on the crsc statements "eventually" on mypay or if you must just wait for a retro deposit. I've been receiving it (a lower %) for a few years and mypay doesn't allow you to check your stubs that far me to check if my old retro pay was on it.

Normally, you just wait. Backpay will show up in your bank account on a random day and then will be part of your calculations on the statement on the next one after that. It can be easy to miss, since your CRSC deposit on the 1st will look normal.

Took about 2 months for me, I'd give them 90 days before asking DFAS to audit your account.

Back pay requires a pay account audit. DFAS audits usually result in a follow on back pay deposit. But DFAS is generally fairly fast, so if you don't see anything in 15 working days you may want to call them.

I'm in the middle of a DFAS audit for CRSC myself. I was originally discharged with disability severance at around $50k over six years ago.

My CRSC award was only recently approved in the last 60 days and was back dated the full 72 months to my date of discharge/retirement. I was retired through the AFBCMR over 18 months ago.

I called DFAS to make them aware of my severance payment and that I think they have to recoup it. Every DFAS technician I spoke to said they aren't showing a record of any disability severance payment.

I'm TRYING to avoid a possible over payment and do the right thing by letting them know.

Any advice? The last thing I want to do is owe DFAS over 95k (50k disability severance and 45k retro CRSC over 6 years)

Anyone?

I'd do not believe they would recoup the 50k payment. Keep a written record of who you talked to at DFAS and when. Also I would record your conversations. Let the person at DFAS know that you are recording your conversation. You'll be able to provide evidence of what you were told and by whom if problems do come up.

Was your DOD retirement upgraded from 10-20% to full retirement (30% or higher) after your ETS?

It was.

10% medical discharge w/ disability severance pay in May of 2011.

Changed to 70% PDRL in 2015 via the AFBCMR.

CRSC awarded at 70% in June 2016 and back dated to May 2011.

I am pretty sure I'm not supposed to be receiving a dime.

Does anyone have an update on if they can recoup severance from crsc

Does anyone have an update on if they can recoup severance from crsc
Since CRSC is not retired pay, it is not subject to the provisions of section 1408 of title 10, United States Code, relating to payment of retired or retainer pay in compliance with court orders. CRSC is also not subject to any survivor benefit provisions of chapter 73 of title 10, United States Code. CRSC is subject to a Treasury offset to recover a debt owed to the United States, as well as to garnishment for child support or alimony.

Ron.

If the severance pay is considered a debt, then yes.

The documents you already received concerning the recoupment of severance pay should address this issue (use of the word “debt”).

Ron

It says debt on LES but when I talked to DFAS one person said only child support can be taken out of crsc and the other one said severance pay can be be recouped also. Where I got out in 2009 and was reviewed by pdbr and got retired in January 2017 the way they keep going back and forth and changing laws none of it makes sense to me.

Was told my was $271 and she said I should max out and the back pay date is July 2012 but they don’t have the true numbers or when/if I get back pay

Here is the reference:

DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 4 * March 2018

040602. Recoupment of DSP

“2. The DFAS will first apply the entire amount of any retroactive retired pay and/or Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) entitlement to any required recoupment of disability severance pay without regard to the percentage limitations specified in section 0410. In determining the retroactive entitlement to retired pay, service members must be treated as though they were retired on the original date of separation, without regard to any disability severance payment received or any reduction in VA disability compensation to recoup previously paid disability severance pay. In order to determine the amount subject to recoupment, as well as any amount payable to a member, DFAS will determine the amount of retired pay that would have been available had the member originally been retired instead of separated. The total amount to recoup will be the full gross amount of disability
severance pay originally paid to the member.”

Ron

What doesn’t make since if you go down a little bit is that since it is combat related that the VA won’t recoup any of it but it doesn’t say that dfas will? There seems to be a gray area

Recommend you discuss the referenced material with DFAS. I suspect the first person you speak with will be unable to answer a technical question such as you have.

Ron

Last edited:
Thank you Ron this has been a total mess since I got out and seems everybody and everything has different answers

Thank you Ron this has been a total mess since I got out and seems everybody and everything has different answers
CRSC was not enacted until many years after I retired from the Army. I have not experienced the recoupment you have described since I had a regular retirement in 1991.

A comment about the VA not collecting/recouping when Combat Related is involved. I think that applies for non-retirees, who become eligible for VA comp after the veteran is separated with disability severance pay. Those veterans would not be eligible for CRSC since they are NOT retired.

In cases where the veteran is retroactively retired as a result of an approved appeal, they are considered to have been in a retired status from the effective date of the retroactive retirement which is probably the day following separation. Some of those retirees are eligible for CRSC.

This is conjecture on my part, but I thought I would offer an opinion on the matter.

I wish you luck...

Please let the other veterans who visit here know of the results in your case. The quotation I provided from the Financial Management Regulation was precise and the most recent update was March 2018.

Ron

Makes sense. I got injuried in 2007 and medical discharge in 2009. I got a letter for the PDBR in 2011 and got approved in 2017 and I know the long term is good but the stress of figuring out what to do or what is what has been a pain but from what I have seen that almost every case is different. I’m upset that they don’t want to back me pay for something I can’t control but yet they want everything they gave me for something they messed up on

It is understandable you are upset; I imagine I would be as well.

All the best to you...

Ron