Narcolepsy requiring MTF diagnosis

ilcrba

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was just diagnoses with Narcolepsy few weeks ago with an off base provider. I have been told by my PCM that it is med boardable but requires a diagnosis from a MTF. The local MTF sleep clinic is backed up by 2 months. Each month just puts me closer to my DOS which is May of next year. I am trying to go the med retirement direction. Can anything be done to speed up the process of these appointments? I don't see why I need to see a MTF when I just was seen at off base provider.

I don't see why I need to see a MTF when I just was seen at off base provider.
Because civilian provider opinion on Fit/unfit doesn’t count. They also don’t generally know what conditions are even considered unfitting. Military provider is required.

Because civilian provider opinion on Fit/unfit doesn’t count. They also don’t generally know what conditions are even considered unfitting. Military provider is required.
I understand that however they are not giving their opinion. They did a test and the results came back. Any board certified sleep doctor should look at my results and agree on it. I am just hoping that they will take it into account and go from there. Redoing the test just adds more time and stress which I am not a big fan of.

I understand that however they are not giving their opinion. They did a test and the results came back. Any board certified sleep doctor should look at my results and agree on it. I am just hoping that they will take it into account and go from there. Redoing the test just adds more time and stress which I am not a big fan of.
what was the outcome ?

what was the outcome ?
AFPC replies were a joke as normal. I made an appointment at Fort Belvoir, VA since they were the earliest to get in with a MTF sleep clinic. Had my appointment and showed my off base diagnosis and they set me up with a actigraph study and a PSG/MSLT at Walter Reed. I completed both of those last week so right now I am waiting for them to post results on TOL or send it to the sleep DR at Fort Belvoir and he said he would give me a call. So like always I am just jumping through the monkey hoops.

AFPC replies were a joke as normal. I made an appointment at Fort Belvoir, VA since they were the earliest to get in with a MTF sleep clinic. Had my appointment and showed my off base diagnosis and they set me up with a actigraph study and a PSG/MSLT at Walter Reed. I completed both of those last week so right now I am waiting for them to post results on TOL or send it to the sleep DR at Fort Belvoir and he said he would give me a call. So like always I am just jumping through the monkey hoops

smh Walter reed is so backed up.. I have a virtual appt with them first which I feel is a waste of time because if I need to do another PSG/mslt why not just set it up? I have the same problem you have diagnosed with narcolepsy from off-base provider they set me to... I'm irritated because why send me off base to test for it if you're not going to accept it ??? PSG/MSLT are stressful and not the best thing to do especially to duplicate results. @ilcrba

smh Walter reed is so backed up.. I have a virtual appt with them first which I feel is a waste of time because if I need to do another PSG/mslt why not just set it up? I have the same problem you have diagnosed with narcolepsy from off-base provider they set me to... I'm irritated because why send me off base to test for it if you're not going to accept it ??? PSG/MSLT are stressful and not the best thing to do especially to duplicate results. @ilcrba
Yeah. I would try with Fort Belvoir. I had one pretty quick with them. I could have had a sleep study with them but a lot of there techs were out for covid. So from the appointment setup time I got a MSG/PSG 2.5 weeks out which is perfect because you need 2 weeks of actigraph data before anyways.

Yeah. I would try with Fort Belvoir. I had one pretty quick with them. I could have had a sleep study with them but a lot of there techs were out for covid. So from the appointment setup time I got a MSG/PSG 2.5 weeks out which is perfect because you need 2 weeks of actigraph data before anyways.
So you had to wear the actigraphy watch for 2 weeks?

So you had to wear the actigraphy watch for 2 weeks?
Yes I did. And I had to keep a sleep journal on paper to show when I napped, woke up, took medicine, went to bed, fell asleep, etc.

Yes I did. And I had to keep a sleep journal on paper to show when I napped, woke up, took medicine, went to bed, fell asleep, etc.
man thats too much.... this will be my 3rd psg/mslt... i really do not want to do another one.

man thats too much.... this will be my 3rd psg/mslt... i really do not want to do another one.
I asked why I have to do one at a MTF instead and they said it was because they do things differently and it is up to the DR to determine whether or not it is considered Narcolepsy.

I asked why I have to do one at a MTF instead and they said it was because they do things differently and it is up to the DR to determine whether or not it is considered Narcolepsy.
so why send us to civilians if they don't do things up to military "standard"? this is a never-ending cycle. I really don't want to do it again.

so why send us to civilians if they don't do things up to military "standard"? this is a never-ending cycle. I really don't want to do it again.
Are you being told by someone that you have to do it through a MTF?

yea my PCM says it has to be diagnosed by an MTF because it change from IH to N1
Are you following the other thread I mentioned above? AD Air Force With Narcolepsy.
Was that guy accepted with off base report? If they did then I would try to tell the PCM to send it up anyways and you are "in the process" of getting it done. Then maybe AFPC will just take it. That is if the above guy was able to get them to take it from off base. If it wasn't off base then yeah looks like you would be stuck until you got MTF diagnosis.

I'm going to see on Tuesday if they can send it up anyway...on that thread, I believe his got accepted and got full meb.
yea mines was off base and diagnosis with psg/mslt. PCM is the one who said afpc said it needs to come from MTF

I'm going to see on Tuesday if they can send it up anyway...on that thread, I believe his got accepted and got full meb.
yea mines was off base and diagnosis with psg/mslt. PCM is the one who said afpc said it needs to come from MTF
I was talking to a former PCM on reddit and they mentioned to just have PCM start the process even without it. Then once it gets to AFPC if they kick it back then you just gotta wait for the results. Just cuts down on the waiting time.