Xavirgsi1231

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am being worked up for Narcolepsy currently and I have completed the blood work.

HLA-DQA1*0102: Postive

HLA-DQB1*0602: Postive

The blood work confirms that I have the genetic markers. I haven’t had issues with narcolepsy till after my last deployment were I just felt fatigued all the time. Due to the fact that I have the genetic marker could the VA ever deny a claim, as well as the DOD for separation. My sleep doctor said it’s related to the TBI but, knowing the government they will always try to deny culpability.

The big thing with genetic medical issues is having documentation stating the genetic issue is service aggravated. If a genetic condition is service aggravated you would be eligible for medical retirement if the PEB says the condition. Is unfitting(if % is high enough) and you would be eligible for VA benefits.

The big thing with genetic medical issues is having documentation stating the genetic issue is service aggravated. If a genetic condition is service aggravated you would be eligible for medical retirement if the PEB says the condition. Is unfitting(if % is high enough) and you would be eligible for VA benefits.
I asked my sleep doctor and he said it's highly likely it's due to the TBI due to the fact I didn't have issues till after deployment. I can see your logic though and appreciate the response.