Narsum. Need help understanding!

Rfaber

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member

1. The 20190401 Review PTSD DBQ examiner determined the SM’s PTSD symptoms result in “Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although

SGT Faber, Ryan M. Scott J. Hopkins MPAS PA-C
VTA #: 248759 CAIN MEBROC Physician Assistant

Date Finalized: 8 APR 2019

Page 3

NARRATIVE SUMMARY MEBROC CAMP ATTERBURY, IN

generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation.” Function impairing symptoms were noted by the examiner to include dissociative reactions, marked physiological reactions to trauma cues, avoidance behavior, irritable behavior with angry outbursts (with little or no provocation), reckless or self-destructive behavior, problems with concentration, exaggerated startle response, feelings of detachment, markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities, panic attacks (<1x/wk.), chronic sleep impairment, subjective mild memory loss, difficulty adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting, and suicidal ideation. Commander’s Statement dated 20181212 cites profile restrictions and notes “The Soldier is currently in a non-traditional drilling status....He does not attend normal traditional drilling weekend as his current BH conditions manifest during duties and tend to increase when required to drill with traditionally assigned personnel...He is currently assigned as a Team Leader and is unable to complete all required tasks...It is my opinion that further military duty would not prove beneficial to him or the Michigan Army National Guard or the Army.” Review of eProfile indicates the SM has had permanent profile restrictions (S3) for PTSD since 20180920 and prior temporary restrictions for PTSD from 20180517 to 20180920. Ongoing profile restrictions are needed and it appears the SM does not meet retention standards currently.

Rated 50% ptsd and this is for men/peb

1. The 20190401 Review PTSD DBQ examiner determined the SM’s PTSD symptoms result in “Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although
SGT Faber, Ryan M. Scott J. Hopkins MPAS PA-C
VTA #: 248759 CAIN MEBROC Physician Assistant

Date Finalized: 8 APR 2019

Page 3

NARRATIVE SUMMARY MEBROC CAMP ATTERBURY, IN

generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation.” Function impairing symptoms were noted by the examiner to include dissociative reactions, marked physiological reactions to trauma cues, avoidance behavior, irritable behavior with angry outbursts (with little or no provocation), reckless or self-destructive behavior, problems with concentration, exaggerated startle response, feelings of detachment, markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities, panic attacks (<1x/wk.), chronic sleep impairment, subjective mild memory loss, difficulty adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting, and suicidal ideation. Commander’s Statement dated 20181212 cites profile restrictions and notes “The Soldier is currently in a non-traditional drilling status....He does not attend normal traditional drilling weekend as his current BH conditions manifest during duties and tend to increase when required to drill with traditionally assigned personnel...He is currently assigned as a Team Leader and is unable to complete all required tasks...It is my opinion that further military duty would not prove beneficial to him or the Michigan Army National Guard or the Army.” Review of eProfile indicates the SM has had permanent profile restrictions (S3) for PTSD since 20180920 and prior temporary restrictions for PTSD from 20180517 to 20180920. Ongoing profile restrictions are needed and it appears the SM does not meet retention standards currently.

Rated 50% ptsd and this is for men/peb
Previously rated, sorry.

HERE IS INFO FROM DBQ.

3. PTSD DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA
Please check criteria used for establishing the current PTSD diagnosis. The diagnostic criteria for PTSD, are from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of
Mental Disorders, 5th edition. (DSM-5). The stressful event can be due to combat, personal trauma, other life threatening situations (non-combat related
stressors). Do NOT mark symptoms below that are clearly not attributable to the Criterion A stressor/PTSD. Instead, overlapping symptoms clearly
attributable to other things should be noted under #6- "Other symptoms".
Criterion A: Exposure to actual or threatened a) death, b) serious injury, c) sexual violation, in one or more of the following ways:
Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s)
Witnessing, in person, the traumatic event(s) as they occurred to others
Learning that the traumatic event(s) occurred to a close family member or close friend; cases of actual or threatened death must have been violent or
accidental; or, experiencing repeated or extreme exposure to aversive details of the traumatic event(s) (e.g., first responders collecting human remains;
police officers repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse); this does not apply to exposure through electronic media, television, movies, or pictures,
unless this exposure is work related
No criterion in this section met.
Criterion B: Presence of (one or more) of the following intrusion symptoms associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s)
occurred
Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event(s).
Recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or affect of the dream are related to the traumatic event(s).
Dissociative reactions (e.g., flashbacks) in which the individual feels or acts as if the traumatic event(s) were recurring. (Such reactions may occur on a
continuum, with the most extreme expression being a complete loss of awareness of present surroundings.)
Intense or prolonged psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event(s).
Marked physiological reactions to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event(s).
Criterion C: Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the event(s), beginning after traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidence of one or both of the
following:
Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s).
Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders (people, places, conversations, activities, objects, situations) that arouse distressing memories,
thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s).
Criterion D: Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s)
occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following:
Inability to remember an important aspect of the traumatic event(s) (typically due to dissociative amnesia and not to other factors such as head injury,
alcohol, or drugs).
Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g., “I am bad,: “No one can be trusted,: “The world is
completely dangerous,: “My whole nervous system is permanently ruined”).
Persistent, distorted cognitions about the cause or consequences of the traumatic event(s) that lead to the individual to blame himself/herself or others.
Persistent negative emotional state (e.g., fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame).
Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities.
Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others.
Persistent inability to experience positive emotions (e.g., inability to experience happiness, satisfaction, or loving feelings.)
Criterion E: Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s)
occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following:
Irritable behavior and angry outbursts (with little or no provocation) typically expressed as verbal or physical aggression toward people or objects.
Reckless or self-destructive behavior.
Hypervigilance.
Exaggerated startle response.
Problems with concentration.
Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep).
Criterion F:
Duration of the disturbance (Criteria B, C, D, and E) is more than 1 month.
Veteran does not meet full criteria for PTSD
Criterion G:
The PTSD symptoms described above cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
The PTSD symptoms described above do NOT cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of
functioning.
Veteran does not meet full criteria for PTSD

3. PTSD DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA
Criterion H:
The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition.
4. SYMPTOMS
FOR VA RATING PURPOSES, CHECK ALL SYMPTOMS THAT APPLY TO THE VETERAN’S DIAGNOSES:
Depressed mood
Anxiety
Suspiciousness
Panic attacks that occur weekly or less often
Chronic sleep impairment
Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events
Difficulty adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting
Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships
Suicidal ideation

Per the VASRD, a 30 percent disability rating is warranted when there is occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks. .

Per the VASRD, a 30 percent disability rating is warranted when there is occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks. .
I agree the weird part is that i was awarded 50% in 2013 and my wording on that was "OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT DUE TO MILD OR TRANSIENT SYMPTOMS" I also have all diagnostic boxed checked and more symptoms checked compared to last time. So I know they take more then that into consideration. Just wanted to get others opinion. I just went into the peb process, ptsd was from deployment before i got into national guard. I switched into national guard after not being retained and switched my MOS too. Just a quick back story.

wow that's awesome. congrats

I was surprised myself. I was honest about everything and let my record speak for its self. I was assuming it would stay at 50%. I think the medications helped push me up. So I think people can take that from this and the above narsum. Just be youself and it will all work out in the end. This whole process wasn't even my idea. Senior NCOs brought it up. Hope this thread helps!

Congrats.

Just got orders for retirement. Aug 16th 2019. Just an update! Started MEB Process March 2019 and orders for Aug 2019.
Congrats quick question after you got your findings and signed how long did it take for your orders.