NARSUM Question

MJ6495

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question about an IMR- is after you get the NARSUM the only time you can request one? I was never told about that as an option, and now my case just came back from the PEB with an unfit finding. My NARSUM was had so many errors, such as stating I didn't have surgeries that I did, not mentioning civilian medical care that I got. My MEB counsel only wrote an appeal to try to get another condition unfitting, which failed, but never mentioned an IMR. Do I still have the opportunity or did I miss the chance?

At this point you can request a formal PEB.

Yes, you missed the chance to address your concerns (errors, etc.) with the MEB via IMR.

It is, of course, better to raise your issues early in the process, but that does not mean you cannot prevail at the PEB. (Though, since you stated that you have heard back from the PEB- I assume the IPEB- your next step is to address your contentions with the FPEB).

It was the IPEB that I heard back from and now my stuff is at the VA for ratings; my understanding is that I cannot do anything until those ratings get back to the PEB and once I get that paperwork is when I can appeal again, is that correct? Or request a FPEB? I did mark on my 3947 that I did not agree to the board's finding, but my MEB counsel only did the appeal to add my low back as an unfitting condition, which was denied. Where was the request for an IMR on that form?

Good luck, MJ. Just keep on fighting. A friend just returned from the FPEB and he was successful in having two conditions added. It took him nearly two years. He's always telling me to keep fighting. Just know that there's hope for us all in this process.

You did hijack the thread and now this has been moved into it's own.

When you receive the NARSUM, there is a little box that you check which says that you agree or you would like a IMR. It is part of the 10 day review process.

http://www.9linellc.com/resources/201102_SanAntonio/DEMEO TODD - BAMC Integrated Disability Education System.pdf

Was I supposed to get my NARSUM prior to it going up the chain? That never happened.
I never heard or saw anything, so I asked the Flt Doc what was going on and it was at that point he told me that it (IRILO/NARSUM) had been sent up 51 days ago. (to where I don't know?) There are many inaccuracies in the NARSUM that I want to dispute because they are not facts that he wrote. It's like he was out in left field writing my IRILO!

What is this 10 day review process you state?

Was I supposed to get my NARSUM prior to it going up the chain? That never happened.
I never heard or saw anything, so I asked the Flt Doc what was going on and it was at that point he told me that it (IRILO/NARSUM) had been sent up 51 days ago. (to where I don't know?) There are many inaccuracies in the NARSUM that I want to dispute because they are not facts that he wrote. It's like he was out in left field writing my IRILO!

What is this 10 day review process you state?
It sounds like you are in the very early stages of your MEB. Have you gone through the C&P exams? If not, you wouldn't see your first NARSUM. The NARSUM in question in the thread is the one that is sent to the IPEB for review once your MEB is completed. You are supposed to be notified by your PEBLO that your package is ready for review before it is sent to the IPEB. That is when you can request an impartial review of your medical records where a physician who has not participated in your MEB reviews your medical records and either concurs or nonconcurs with the NARSUM.

It sounds like you are in the very early stages of your MEB. Have you gone through the C&P exams? If not, you wouldn't see your first NARSUM. The NARSUM in question in the thread is the one that is sent to the IPEB for review once your MEB is completed. You are supposed to be notified by your PEBLO that your package is ready for review before it is sent to the IPEB. That is when you can request an impartial review of your medical records where a physician who has not participated in your MEB reviews your medical records and either concurs or nonconcurs with the NARSUM.
So you are saying there are TWO different NARSUM that are written?
I believe I am in the early stages of this process, but my concern is my Flight Doc wrote the I-RILO/NARSUM which was full of inaccuracies first thing, before any C&P exams, sent it up without me seeing it, I have not been contacted by a PEBLO. One would think that these Med folks know what they're doing, but I never leave doubt to chance.

I believe I am in the early stages of this process, but my concern is my Flight Doc wrote the I-RILO/NARSUM which was full of inaccuracies first thing, before any C&P exams, sent it up without me seeing it, I have not been contacted by a PEBLO. One would think that these Med folks know what they're doing, but I never leave doubt to chance.
There is the initial NARSUM as part of your IRILO package, and after you complete all your C&P exam the provider writes a second part/addendum to the original NARSUM based on the Exam results.
That is when the option for a rebuttal and IMR are available.

I didn't get to see my first NARSUM either. Two things I've learned in this process so far: Don't wait for them to feed you information...ask for it & contact your legal counsel early. I didn't have a PEBLO contact me until the decision came back from IRILO b/c technically you're not in the MEB process yet. You're in the deciding phase. Until your service comes back with a decision to MEB you, you're not assigned to a PEBLO.