NARSUM Questions

Mk45Gunner

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I received my NARSUM this morning and I'll be requesting an IMR as well as providing a statement to go along with it. I also just found out this morning that my disability attorney was activated apparently and will be gone for a year. So now I have to jump through hoops to try and get in touch with a new attorney.

Is there a sample to go by or should it just be on Command Letterhead?

The Army provides a DA3947 form with the NARSUM. Is there an equivalent for the Navy? Thanks

Is there a sample to go by or should it just be on Command Letterhead?

Are you the Commanding Officer? Only COs (and by direction signers) are authorized to use command letterhead. I would reference the Navy Correspondence Manual for writing formal letters.

SECNAVINST 5216.5

The NMA is on command letterhead so my question was do I need to submit a statement utilizing the same format through my CoC or can I type up a memo.......for the NARSUM!!

The NMA is on command letterhead because it is written by your CO. All correspondence that comes from you will NOT be on letterhead and should be formatted IAW SECNAVINST 5216.5

If you would like to inform your CoC of what you have written, then you can use the "Via" line in the letter to channel your correspondence through your CO. It is not necessary.

So for the purposes of the NARSUM going to the PEB, my statement to contradict (with medical evidence) what the CoC is saying is completed how?

How and what am I writing on to submit this to be included in the NARSUM? Thanks for clarifying the use of command letterhead usage but I need some guidance on what is actually submitted and how.

I know I'm not the first person to disagree with the NMA and provide input so I'm asking for those who have actually had to do this how this was accomplished. If you happen to have a sample it would be greatly appreciated.

My command wrote me a glowing NMA even though they said I missed a lot of work and I was assigned to a desk job. I had my command rewrite the NMA when I appealed to the Formal PEB. I was not informed that I could submit anything to rebut their NMA prior to the PEB so I don't have an answer for you because I haven't done it. Have you spoken with a lawyer? From my understanding they will help you prepare any correspondence you wish to send and give you guidance on how to go about it.

In case anybody needs to do the same thing as me in the future.

Attachments

• Impact Statement (IDES) 30MAY14.doc
    32 KB · Views: 15