National Guard MEB/PEB

sql

Registered Member
Hello all,

I am in the VAARNG and just today recieved my permanent profile along with a letter that states: "Soldier has been recommended for Medical Evaluation Board (MEB/PEB)."

A couple of weeks ago, my case manager informed me that since it is not duty related, I have the chance to choose whether I get out of the NG or go through the medical board. She also mentioned they would be handing my case off to G1 to "complete the board."

What I am getting from the letter is that they are making me go through the MEB process instead of just letting me go. Am I interpreting the letter right?

And if I do have to go through the MEB process, what is the usual timeline for an MEB in the Virginia National Guard?

Thanks in advance. I truly appreciate any help with my questions!

I just noticed on my profile, it states that the SM needs to conduct a NDPEB which I believe stands for Non-Duty Physical Evaluation Board.

VA NG Soldier
Slap Tear Surgery R Shoulder June 2009
Slap Tear Surgery L Shoulder June 2010 (LOD)
Neck Fusion Dec 2010 (LOD)
Permant Profile Oct 01 2011 333311
Referfered for MEB Mar 29 2012
C&P Exams at VA Hosp in Richmond July 9 2012 for shoulders, neck, severe sleep apneia, DDD in lower back last MRI 2 bottom discs compressed and bulging , meds for blood sugar out of wack and failed hearing.
Received NARSUM Aug 13 2012
PEBLO tells me I'm found unfit for retention in 5 areas.. Hearing, Neck, Back, shoulder and blood sugar
Signed & returned to them Aug 16 2012 (with latest LES, Retirement Points count and letter from unit NCOIC about my current standings showing that I'm GO2GO..passed PT & weight).
Sent to PEB in Ft Sam Houston on Aug 18, 2012..
Timeline...forever!!!

Wow that is a long time! Thanks for prompt response! Because of my bipolar disorder and current Lithium medication, I believe that I'm going straight into the PEB. It is a non duty related PEB so I will se how it goes.

Paul,
What base was your packet processed through....Despite what you may think, your timeline is incredible. Essentially March through Aug to PEB just blows my mind. I have been in the MEB process for 4 years now, and have done 3 different "new programs" (currently the IDES) I dont even have a difficult case..... I think every state is different and (despite being one of the most Veteran friendly states in the country) AZ has really dropped the ball. I have a friend who did all the exams in Jan 12, and finally got his NARSUM back in July.....

I am an E4 with four years in. That's the problem, I don't want to get stuck in the process for so long. It is non duty related so I will not seek any kind of disability claims from the VA.

My paperwork went from our state (Virginia) to somewhere in FL for 2 months, Its been at FT Gordon since March.My PEBLO has changed 3 times since then. I'm an E4 w/ 11 yrs(that has been unable to be promoted for 2 1/2 years-restricted from taking PT test until past May) I joined Oct 79-82 RA then 82-85 Army Resrves out of service for 22yrs until 2007 til present w/ NG. Not really sure whats next or if I'll have great enough % of disabilities to MED Retire.

Can any one help me out with this. Ok here is the deal. The army decided they were going to MEB me but the process is just now starting. I have been diagnosed as of now a Bipolar (NOS). I also have hearing loss and tinnitus and went through an MAR2 (Newer version of the MMRB) and was found fit for duty with a P3 Profile. My buddy talked to me about looking into getting rated for PTSD or talking to them about it as well. The only issue is i told the doc that i was being diagnosed with Bipolar disorder prior to joining the Army but was never officially diagnosed. I got almost 4 1/2 years in as an E-5 11B im married and have one daughter.