National Guard PEB with 8+ years in service, severance pay?

wbonebrake

Registered Member
Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I am a 31 year old veteran in the Missouri National Guard. I was diagnosed with some serious heart/lung problems (stage one heart failure/pulmonary hypertension) that have cause me to be found unfit for duty during my last PHA. I was recently told that I could either accept a medical discharge, and be on my way, or that I could go through the PEB process and see if by some chance that I could be retained. I work full time as a military technician, so my job depends on me being in the national guard. Also, my medical problems do not interfere with my job as a supply technician, I just can't complete the 2 mile run any more. My question is, if I am found unfit in the PEB, and medically discharged, will I be entitled to some sort of severance pay or retirement? I don't believe I am eligible for retirement due to the fact that I only have 8, almost 9 years in, but I cannot find clear guidance on the severance pay, if it is even applicable to my situation. Thanks a lot for your help!

Is the condition service connected? Have you applied to the VA for disability compensation for the condition. If the condition is service connected and unfitting, you should receive disability separation of disability retirement. If not, you probably won't be eligible for benefits although the PEB could find the condition fitting and you could be retained.

Mike

Also, my medical problems do not interfere with my job as a supply technician, I just can't complete the 2 mile run any more.

At the PEB you can argue that you are worth retaining. There are many on active duty who do not do a 2 mile run, especially in support MOSs. I do not see an issue with asking them to let you stay on in the guard. While a heart/lung problem can make this a difficult problem, if you can show how its being successfully managed and you'd still be deployable with it, its certainly an option.

I don't believe I am eligible for retirement due to the fact that I only have 8, almost 9 years in

Retirement for disability is a question of severity of the disability that is service connected. It can happen, in theory, with only a single day of service.

Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I am a 31 year old veteran in the Missouri National Guard. I was diagnosed with some serious heart/lung problems (stage one heart failure/pulmonary hypertension) that have cause me to be found unfit for duty during my last PHA. I was recently told that I could either accept a medical discharge, and be on my way, or that I could go through the PEB process and see if by some chance that I could be retained. I work full time as a military technician, so my job depends on me being in the national guard. Also, my medical problems do not interfere with my job as a supply technician, I just can't complete the 2 mile run any more. My question is, if I am found unfit in the PEB, and medically discharged, will I be entitled to some sort of severance pay or retirement? I don't believe I am eligible for retirement due to the fact that I only have 8, almost 9 years in, but I cannot find clear guidance on the severance pay, if it is even applicable to my situation. Thanks a lot for your help!
You will receive 40% of your technician salary .. if you are found unfit to remain in the ARNG.