NATIONAL GUARD RPAS STATEMENT - RETIREMENT/SEVERANCE CALCULATIONS

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
:confused: Dear One and All:

Got my current annual statement of points earned toward retirement.

Need to figure out what colomns are used by the MEB/PEB to determine TDRL/PDRL/SEVERANCE.

HERE ARE THE COLOMNS AND NUMBERS IN EACH COLOMN.

How do you figure out which colomns to count when calculating TDRL/PDRL/SEVERANCE?

IDT = 523

MEM = 343

ACCP MISC PTS = 0

AD POINTS = 2819

TOTAL CAREER POINTS = 3685

TOTAL POINTS FOR RETIREMENT PAY = 3608

BASD = 2002/05/05

VERY FIRST ACTIVE DUTY DATE = 21/02/1979
ONLY 30 CONSECUTIVE DAYS AD PRIOR TO SEPT 8, 1980 - DOES THIS COUNT FOR ANYTHING?

CREDITABLE SVC FOR RET PAY = 17/00/11

Thanks for your help One and All!

v/r,
nwlivewire

I thought one of our moderators was a VSO and/or had a specialty with the NG/reserve side of the house. Any takers on these questions?

You don't use points to determine retired pay. It is based on your percentage awarded (or 2.5% times years of service if you have 20 years or more and this figure is higher than your awarded percentage) times your retired base pay.

:
VERY FIRST ACTIVE DUTY DATE = 21/02/1979
ONLY 30 CONSECUTIVE DAYS AD PRIOR TO SEPT 8, 1980 - DOES THIS COUNT FOR ANYTHING?

Yes, this counts. It means that your retired base pay will be based on your final base pay.

Dear Jason:
I don't have 20 good years yet. Only 17.
I guess that's what i'm trying to figure out. My accurate years of service number that i will place into the formula line on that form. I looked on the 2nd page of the DA Form 5892, (PEBLO EST.DIS. COMP. WORKSHEET) and it said to add this, that and the other, to the total of AD points for NG, and then take that figure and use that in the formula line. At that point, my eyes glazed over and I got lost (The old ""I" after "E", except after "C" bs). As a NG Soldier, this form led me to believe that the YOS for NG is AD plus other points in different colomns that are accumulated over time, and certain points from different colomns are added together which then become the "REAL" and accurate YOS figure for a NG Soldier. That's what i am puzzled about. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. It's confusing.

Thannks!
v/r,
nwlivewire
nice to know my pre-1980 time will count!

Just want to make sure all my time gets counted - less why would they break it down into so many different types of time done? just wanting to make sure i do the pre-calculations correctly BEFORE I get to the formula. RPAS statement.

The time only matters if you are over 20 years. The pay calculations are otherwise based on percentage times (in your case) final base pay.

WHEW!

No more math for me! lol

Thanks Jason for clearing that one up.

v/r,
nwlivewire

Really confused about same issue. I have 20 years (part guard, part active duty). On my RPAS what figure do I look at to determine my medical severance pay "base pay" that I multiply by 2 by 20 years? Total Active Duty points 2790, Total career points 3658, Total points for retired pay 3599. My retirement rank is E5. Thank you ahead of time for your assistance.

Really confused about same issue. I have 20 years (part guard, part active duty). On my RPAS what figure do I look at to determine my medical severance pay "base pay" that I multiply by 2 by 20 years? Total Active Duty points 2790, Total career points 3658, Total points for retired pay 3599. My retirement rank is E5. Thank you ahead of time for your assistance.

I finally went to my state national Guard Retirement section at the state HQs. They are the ones who do retirements for the NG - State level.

I had them print out not just the RPAS, but what would I get when I turned 60 - assuming I had a 20 year letter and all that, and didn't get PDRL'd or TDRL'd from medical boards.

They have one paper that gets printed out that shows which types of time are added up for retirement points, etc. This will help you get a close estimate.

nwlivewire

OK, now I am confused. Jason said that retirement is either based on your percentage or 2.5% times years of service if over 20 years and that is greater than your percentage. I have 26 years in, 17 years of that active. I thought that I would either receive the percentage or 2.5% of that 17 years whichever was greater since the 17 years was active duty. Is that wrong? Would it be 2.5% of 26 years if that is greater than whatever percentage I end up with?

OK, now I am confused. Jason said that retirement is either based on your percentage or 2.5% times years of service if over 20 years and that is greater than your percentage. I have 26 years in, 17 years of that active. I thought that I would either receive the percentage or 2.5% of that 17 years whichever was greater since the 17 years was active duty. Is that wrong? Would it be 2.5% of 26 years if that is greater than whatever percentage I end up with?
Captain-google for a military retirement pay calculator, and you enter all your info in to get a good idea of how much you'll get.

I finally went to my state national Guard Retirement section at the state HQs. They are the ones who do retirements for the NG - State level.

I had them print out not just the RPAS, but what would I get when I turned 60 - assuming I had a 20 year letter and all that, and didn't get PDRL'd or TDRL'd from medical boards.

They have one paper that gets printed out that shows which types of time are added up for retirement points, etc. This will help you get a close estimate.

nwlivewire
My info I posted was off of that document. What I need to know is which number is considered "base pay" to multiply by my severance percent to figure out what my severance pay will be. My state headquarters couldn't give me a direct answer, and transferred me around, and then told me I would have to wait and see what they offer me. I already know what my retirement pay will be-I used a reservist retirement pay calculator off of google.

AAAAHHH...I guess I don't get severance if I have my 20? So I still need to know how to figure my retired pay base for PDRL or military disability pay. Any ideas?

XGIJANE - Thanks, I have used the high 3 calculator before, but not sure if it is 26 years of service or 17 years of service I would use based on this thread. (The calculator will not allow me to use less than 20 years, but I only have 17 active duty years). Still confused, because even with 26 years in, I do not have 20 years of federal active service. So let's say the board gives me 30%...I had been figuring that I would get 42.5% of my base pay no matter what (if it is less than my disability percentage) because 17 active duty years x 2.5% is 42.5%.

I guess my question is two-fold now. Do I calculate my years of service based on active duty years or total years, and if I don't have 20 years of federal active service, then is the 2.5% not even an option if the disability percentage is lower because I don't have 20 active years?

Does it even matter between active and reserve time for this purpose...

Just when you think you know...I guess all we can do is help each other and keep calm

I feel your pain. If I run across anything I'll let you know. Reserve and Active duty really makes everything confusing. I'm still trying to figure out what "base pay" I use for medical retirement calculations.

XGIJANE - Thanks, I have used the high 3 calculator before, but not sure if it is 26 years of service or 17 years of service I would use based on this thread. (The calculator will not allow me to use less than 20 years, but I only have 17 active duty years). Still confused, because even with 26 years in, I do not have 20 years of federal active service. So let's say the board gives me 30%...I had been figuring that I would get 42.5% of my base pay no matter what (if it is less than my disability percentage) because 17 active duty years x 2.5% is 42.5%.

I guess my question is two-fold now. Do I calculate my years of service based on active duty years or total years, and if I don't have 20 years of federal active service, then is the 2.5% not even an option if the disability percentage is lower because I don't have 20 active years?

Does it even matter between active and reserve time for this purpose...

Just when you think you know...I guess all we can do is help each other and keep calm
CRDP for "20 Good Years" reserve time but MEB while on active duty This stream may give you some helpful info.

Dear Jason:
I don't have 20 good years yet. Only 17.
I guess that's what i'm trying to figure out. My accurate years of service number that i will place into the formula line on that form. I looked on the 2nd page of the DA Form 5892, (PEBLO EST.DIS. COMP. WORKSHEET) and it said to add this, that and the other, to the total of AD points for NG, and then take that figure and use that in the formula line. At that point, my eyes glazed over and I got lost (The old ""I" after "E", except after "C" bs). As a NG Soldier, this form led me to believe that the YOS for NG is AD plus other points in different colomns that are accumulated over time, and certain points from different colomns are added together which then become the "REAL" and accurate YOS figure for a NG Soldier. That's what i am puzzled about. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. It's confusing.

Thannks!
v/r,
nwlivewire
nice to know my pre-1980 time will count!

Just want to make sure all my time gets counted - less why would they break it down into so many different types of time done? just wanting to make sure i do the pre-calculations correctly BEFORE I get to the formula. RPAS statement.

Reserve Component Forum Reserve component info
CRDP for "20 Good Years" reserve time but MEB while on active duty This may help.

Here's a Retirement Calculator that I have used and found it every helpful and better in some area's than the DEFAS one:

davebarker.portalone.us/CRSC_Calc.xls It works very well ;), Bravehart

NDBravehart84-
For the calculator for base pay, do I use the last three years of drill pay? I have both active and guard time, and most of the info I'm getting is conflicting when it comes to combined service time. Great excel spreadsheet, by the way. I will definitely pass it on. Thank Dave for me.

Are you medically retiring..... NEED MORE INTEL