NATIONAL GUARD RPAS STATEMENT - RETIREMENT/SEVERANCE CALCULATIONS

Are you medically retiring..... NEED MORE INTEL

Don't know if this will help anyone here, but this is what DFAS is giving me for my medical retirement....

I have 12 yrs 3 months AD time (was NG).

I have a 20 year retirement letter from NG.

I was a regular NG who was mobilized, then transferred to WTU/CB-WTU for medical treatment, care, etc.

Went through the IDES process - rec'd 70% PDRL.
Went through the VA process with IDES - rec'd a "proposed" rating of 100%

I was always an Enlisted, never served as an Officer, and was never busted down in rank.

DFAS calculated my retirement based on:

1. Final pay calculation as I had AD time BEFORE 08 SEP 1980
(for those who have AD time AFTER this date, calculation will be the 36 month average of your AD base pay)

2. NO combat/combat related designation on IDES process DA Form 199, NO Block 10 a/c "checked" or 10 a/c approved on DA Form 199 - so my 70% PDRL retirement is Fed taxed.

3. VA compensation is "proposed" (NOT final yet) at 100% - at unemployable - with Chapter 35 VA Education benefits for spouse/children (for which I have NEITHER, so for me, the Chapter 35 will not be usuable as I have no qualifying family members).

4. NOT CRSC eligible.

5. CRDP eligible at age 60 (the month following my 60th birthday) and not a moment before then. I DO NOT have qualifying mobillization time after 28 JAN 2008, so DFAS told me I have to wait until I am aged 60 to get CRDP. BECAUSE I DO HAVE A 20 YEAR NG RETIREMENT LETTER, I will qualify for CRDP at age 60. As a NG with a 20-year NG retirement letter, the MAXIMUM I can recieve for CRDP will be what my GROSS monthly NG retirement amount is (or will be at age 60), PLUS my VA compensation.

So my current PDRL retirement is at 70% of monthly base pay at time of IDES process retirement (DD-214). That means that my PDRL retirement is 70% of my AD monthly base pay for my rank at time of IDES retirement (you will get a DD-214 and your retirement date begins the day after discharge). Due to my years of service for PAY purposes, I was already maxed out for monthly pay at my rank. THAT is the figure that DFAS used for my base pay calculation - base pay of my rank and years of service - the monthly gross amount figure of my 70% PDRL retirement was the base pay with years of service that I was receiving on my final AD LES. So my calculation of 70% PDRL from DFAS was based on my final LES at time of retirement.

6. I was told at time of discharge out-processing, that I will also receive VA compensation. My military PDRL money will be off-set when I begin to receive VA compensation. VA compensation is NON-taxable - my 70% PDRL is Fed and state taxable. At some point, when the VA gets to THEIR final approval for their percentage of compensation, DFAS and VA finance will communicate with each other and come up with who pays what amount of money to me every month as there are off-sets until I turn age 60. VA has not completed their final approval yet, so right now, DFAS is currently paying me 100% of my PDRL retirement monies (70% PDRL based on rank and years of service). VA is NOT final yet, even through I rec'd a VA "proposed" rating while going through the IDES process. So DFAS is paying me my entire amount of 70% PDRL - and this entire amount is Fed and state taxable for me - ouch!

7. WHEN the VA finally gets to their final approval stage, my retirement will be a combination of the following, but that combined total CANNOT exceed the original 70% PDRL gross retirement money. (This is what DFAS told me, so I am assuming all this information is correct). For me, according to what DFAS told me over the phone, even though I have 70% PDRL (four injuries - all physical - with injury One at 40%, injury TWO at 30%, injury THREE at 20%, injury FOUR at 0%), I cannot get CRDP until age 60. I have no qualifying time to get it any sooner than age 60, BUT I DO HAVE my 20 year NG retirement letter.

As of today, this is what I am to get - before age 60 - WITHOUT 20 years AD time, but WITH a 20 year NG retirement letter.
This is what DFAS told me, so this is all I know at the moment.

My first WHOLE 70% PDRL monthly check from DFAS is due to electronic deposit 01 JUN (tomorrow) - minus Federal and State taxes.

I retired mid-April, 2012, and have already rec'd that partial month retirement pay from DFAS. I rec'd that partial April retirement check two weeks ago - in May. DFAS was 100% correct on their calculation - and to the penny!

DFAS took out the Federal and State taxes (YOU have to make sure if you live in a State that taxes this type of retirement income, that YOU fill out the DFAS state tax form for your state, so DFAS can take out your state tax. Otherwise, you could end up with a nasty surprise with your state tax situation next year).

VA HAS NOT finalized their compensation yet, so for the time being, I will receive:

DFAS 70% PDRL based on final monthly base pay at rank and years of service at time of retirement - minus Federal and State taxes.

When the VA comes on line, then I will receive the following combined income - NOT to exceed the original 70% gross monthly retirement pay:

VA compensation (non-taxable to Fed and State) PLUS whatever amount added to the VA compensation that EQUALS TOGETHER, the ORIGINAL 70% PDRL from DFAS.

In my situation, my PDRL will be GREATER than my VA compensation, so I will receive all my VA compensation (non-taxable), PLUS a small amount of my gross PDRL retirement (which I will then receive AFTER DFAS withholds Federal/State tax).
Those two figures (VA compensation PLUS small gross amount from PDRL/DFAS) is suppossed to add up to be NO GREATER THAN the original full 70% PDRL.

So VA compensation (tax-free) PLUS
Small amount from PDRL (taxable) EQUALS
ORIGINAL gross amount of 70% PDRL.

AT AGE 60, AND WITH A 20 YEAR NG RETIREMENT LETTER:

(This is how it got explained to me, so if this is wrong in ANY way - PLEASE correct me)

1. VA compensation PLUS an increase in PDRL money. BUT, that PDRL money is NOT to exceed what I would have rec'd for my NG retirement at age 60.

2. VA is non-taxable, but the money from PDRL is taxable. But I have been told that I cannot have BOTH FULL-ON VA AND the FULL-ON original 70% PDRL computation as I did not do 20 years Active Duty service. DFAS will use my NG retirement pay as their limit of payment to me - and that limit will be taxed, too). But the VA compensation will be whatever I will be getting from them and I will lose the pre-age 60 off-sets.

So, from what I was told, if you have a 20-year NG retirement letter, then your retirement disability income will increase at age 60, but be limited to what you would have rec'd as your 20-year retirement pay from the NG. (Assuming no CRSC, no 10 A/C on DA Form 199, and no ealier than age 60 retirement time). The pre-age 60 off-set between the VA/DFAS goes away, and DFAS will increase their pre-tax amount to be equal to what you would have rec'd from your NG retirement at age 60.

In my situation, should I live to age 60, my disability retirement will increase another 750.00 per month taxable retirement income, this additional increase being based on what I would have rec'd had I retired out at age 60 with my NG retirement.

This is what I was told and could understand. But if I am wrong, PLEASE correct me.
If this is incomplete information, and there is more - PLEASE add to this.

v/r,
nwlivewire

NDBravehart- I assume you are talking to me. Have to go through ABCMR to have a backdated medical board for medical retirement or PDRL(I know this sounds weird), and this process would assist me in getting some other issues handled. If this process will give me no additional benefits(besides possibly one year of backpay), don't know if I want to go through all the trouble. Just trying to figure out how much my medical retirement would be, though I know that my VA Disability will be higher(have 100%). Trying to figure out if CRDP applies to VA and Medical retirement combined, or just VA Disability and age 60 retirement combination. This is probably an easy answer, but I have been reading so much info, that I am in info overload. Thanks.

NDBravehart- I assume you are talking to me. Have to go through ABCMR to have a backdated medical board for medical retirement or PDRL(I know this sounds weird), and this process would assist me in getting some other issues handled. If this process will give me no additional benefits(besides possibly one year of backpay), don't know if I want to go through all the trouble. Just trying to figure out how much my medical retirement would be, though I know that my VA Disability will be higher(have 100%). Trying to figure out if CRDP applies to VA and Medical retirement combined, or just VA Disability and age 60 retirement combination. This is probably an easy answer, but I have been reading so much info, that I am in info overload. Thanks.

Well that calculator makes you input everything for the last 36 months (If I remember correctly)..... just fill in all the blanks and see where it takes you... print it off, then do it again with the data from your questions.... print it off and compare....... After doing it like eight different sinarios...... I reached and average.... and for the time being, I'm happy with that...... I just got back from my bi monthly TBI brain squeeze so I'm a little clouded.... I let you know more if I figure it out differently :confused:

Don't know if this will help anyone here, but this is what DFAS is giving me for my medical retirement....

I have 12 yrs 3 months AD time (was NG).

I have a 20 year retirement letter from NG.

I was a regular NG who was mobilized, then transferred to WTU/CB-WTU for medical treatment, care, etc.

Went through the IDES process - rec'd 70% PDRL.
Went through the VA process with IDES - rec'd a "proposed" rating of 100%

I was always an Enlisted, never served as an Officer, and was never busted down in rank.

DFAS calculated my retirement based on:

1. Final pay calculation as I had AD time BEFORE 08 SEP 1980
(for those who have AD time AFTER this date, calculation will be the 36 month average of your AD base pay)

2. NO combat/combat related designation on IDES process DA Form 199, NO Block 10 a/c "checked" or 10 a/c approved on DA Form 199 - so my 70% PDRL retirement is Fed taxed.

3. VA compensation is "proposed" (NOT final yet) at 100% - at unemployable - with Chapter 35 VA Education benefits for spouse/children (for which I have NEITHER, so for me, the Chapter 35 will not be usuable as I have no qualifying family members).

4. NOT CRSC eligible.

5. CRDP eligible at age 60 (the month following my 60th birthday) and not a moment before then. I DO NOT have qualifying mobillization time after 28 JAN 2008, so DFAS told me I have to wait until I am aged 60 to get CRDP. BECAUSE I DO HAVE A 20 YEAR NG RETIREMENT LETTER, I will qualify for CRDP at age 60. As a NG with a 20-year NG retirement letter, the MAXIMUM I can recieve for CRDP will be what my GROSS monthly NG retirement amount is (or will be at age 60), PLUS my VA compensation.

So my current PDRL retirement is at 70% of monthly base pay at time of IDES process retirement (DD-214). That means that my PDRL retirement is 70% of my AD monthly base pay for my rank at time of IDES retirement (you will get a DD-214 and your retirement date begins the day after discharge). Due to my years of service for PAY purposes, I was already maxed out for monthly pay at my rank. THAT is the figure that DFAS used for my base pay calculation - base pay of my rank and years of service - the monthly gross amount figure of my 70% PDRL retirement was the base pay with years of service that I was receiving on my final AD LES. So my calculation of 70% PDRL from DFAS was based on my final LES at time of retirement.

6. I was told at time of discharge out-processing, that I will also receive VA compensation. My military PDRL money will be off-set when I begin to receive VA compensation. VA compensation is NON-taxable - my 70% PDRL is Fed and state taxable. At some point, when the VA gets to THEIR final approval for their percentage of compensation, DFAS and VA finance will communicate with each other and come up with who pays what amount of money to me every month as there are off-sets until I turn age 60. VA has not completed their final approval yet, so right now, DFAS is currently paying me 100% of my PDRL retirement monies (70% PDRL based on rank and years of service). VA is NOT final yet, even through I rec'd a VA "proposed" rating while going through the IDES process. So DFAS is paying me my entire amount of 70% PDRL - and this entire amount is Fed and state taxable for me - ouch!

7. WHEN the VA finally gets to their final approval stage, my retirement will be a combination of the following, but that combined total CANNOT exceed the original 70% PDRL gross retirement money. (This is what DFAS told me, so I am assuming all this information is correct). For me, according to what DFAS told me over the phone, even though I have 70% PDRL (four injuries - all physical - with injury One at 40%, injury TWO at 30%, injury THREE at 20%, injury FOUR at 0%), I cannot get CRDP until age 60. I have no qualifying time to get it any sooner than age 60, BUT I DO HAVE my 20 year NG retirement letter.

As of today, this is what I am to get - before age 60 - WITHOUT 20 years AD time, but WITH a 20 year NG retirement letter.
This is what DFAS told me, so this is all I know at the moment.

My first WHOLE 70% PDRL monthly check from DFAS is due to electronic deposit 01 JUN (tomorrow) - minus Federal and State taxes.

I retired mid-April, 2012, and have already rec'd that partial month retirement pay from DFAS. I rec'd that partial April retirement check two weeks ago - in May. DFAS was 100% correct on their calculation - and to the penny!

DFAS took out the Federal and State taxes (YOU have to make sure if you live in a State that taxes this type of retirement income, that YOU fill out the DFAS state tax form for your state, so DFAS can take out your state tax. Otherwise, you could end up with a nasty surprise with your state tax situation next year).

VA HAS NOT finalized their compensation yet, so for the time being, I will receive:

DFAS 70% PDRL based on final monthly base pay at rank and years of service at time of retirement - minus Federal and State taxes.

When the VA comes on line, then I will receive the following combined income - NOT to exceed the original 70% gross monthly retirement pay:

VA compensation (non-taxable to Fed and State) PLUS whatever amount added to the VA compensation that EQUALS TOGETHER, the ORIGINAL 70% PDRL from DFAS.

In my situation, my PDRL will be GREATER than my VA compensation, so I will receive all my VA compensation (non-taxable), PLUS a small amount of my gross PDRL retirement (which I will then receive AFTER DFAS withholds Federal/State tax).
Those two figures (VA compensation PLUS small gross amount from PDRL/DFAS) is suppossed to add up to be NO GREATER THAN the original full 70% PDRL.

So VA compensation (tax-free) PLUS
Small amount from PDRL (taxable) EQUALS
ORIGINAL gross amount of 70% PDRL.

AT AGE 60, AND WITH A 20 YEAR NG RETIREMENT LETTER:

(This is how it got explained to me, so if this is wrong in ANY way - PLEASE correct me)

1. VA compensation PLUS an increase in PDRL money. BUT, that PDRL money is NOT to exceed what I would have rec'd for my NG retirement at age 60.

2. VA is non-taxable, but the money from PDRL is taxable. But I have been told that I cannot have BOTH FULL-ON VA AND the FULL-ON original 70% PDRL computation as I did not do 20 years Active Duty service. DFAS will use my NG retirement pay as their limit of payment to me - and that limit will be taxed, too). But the VA compensation will be whatever I will be getting from them and I will lose the pre-age 60 off-sets.

So, from what I was told, if you have a 20-year NG retirement letter, then your retirement disability income will increase at age 60, but be limited to what you would have rec'd as your 20-year retirement pay from the NG. (Assuming no CRSC, no 10 A/C on DA Form 199, and no ealier than age 60 retirement time). The pre-age 60 off-set between the VA/DFAS goes away, and DFAS will increase their pre-tax amount to be equal to what you would have rec'd from your NG retirement at age 60.

In my situation, should I live to age 60, my disability retirement will increase another 750.00 per month taxable retirement income, this additional increase being based on what I would have rec'd had I retired out at age 60 with my NG retirement.

This is what I was told and could understand. But if I am wrong, PLEASE correct me.
If this is incomplete information, and there is more - PLEASE add to this.

v/r,
nwlivewire

My brain hurts just reading this...
My story is sooo similar to yours. My question is: with VA Disability at 100%, being eligible for PDRL at 70%, being eligible for 20 year retirement at age 60, do you ever receive anything more than your 100% VA amount before your 20 year reserve retirement (or PDRL) kicks in at age 60? I also don't qualify for CRSC. My PDRL and 20 year retirement monthly checks are about the same amount per month. So to my understanding, we will get only VA until age 60, and then get VA and the taxable 20 year retirement(or PDRL) at 60. Does that sound right?

I was trying to clarify whether to continue my process for a retroactive MEB/PEB for military retirement. It appears that it won't benefit me except for the possibility of backpay of PDRL/TDRL/medical retirement for the 12 months before I applied for VA, or VA for those 12 months(long story). That means between $9000 and $27,000 in backpay, so for that alone I will pursue it. I just wanted to clarify whether I might get any monthly benefits along the way. I guess not. Your reply was extremely informative, and I have copied it for future use. Thanks.

My brain hurts just reading this...
My story is sooo similar to yours. My question is: with VA Disability at 100%, being eligible for PDRL at 70%, being eligible for 20 year retirement at age 60, do you ever receive anything more than your 100% VA amount before your 20 year reserve retirement (or PDRL) kicks in at age 60? I also don't qualify for CRSC. My PDRL and 20 year retirement monthly checks are about the same amount per month. So to my understanding, we will get only VA until age 60, and then get VA and the taxable 20 year retirement(or PDRL) at 60. Does that sound right?

I was trying to clarify whether to continue my process for a retroactive MEB/PEB for military retirement. It appears that it won't benefit me except for the possibility of backpay of PDRL/TDRL/medical retirement for the 12 months before I applied for VA, or VA for those 12 months(long story). That means between $9000 and $27,000 in backpay, so for that alone I will pursue it. I just wanted to clarify whether I might get any monthly benefits along the way. I guess not. Your reply was extremely informative, and I have copied it for future use. Thanks.

The answer is yes! You can receive more than your monthly VA compensation before age 60.

If you are retired out on military disability (30% or greater), then you can get your VA and part of your TDRL/PDRL retirement money as well.

For simple use of numbers (these aren't "real" figures - just using easy numbers for an example):

NO CRSC
WITH 20 YEAR NG/RESERVE LETTER
NO EARLY PRE-60 age RETIREMENT TIME

BEFORE AGE 60 - let's say you are medically retired from military service AND you also get VA compensation, too.

PDRL military retirement = 3,000 per month

VA compensation = 2,600 per month

NG/RESERVE RETIREMENT = 1,400 per month at age 60 if you had not been medically retired before age 60

Before age 60

There are off-sets between the VA money and the PDRL money.
So you would get 2,600 in VA (tax-free)
The off-set would be calculated by subtracting your PDRL from the VA amount.
3,000 - 2,600 = 400 from your PDRL

So each month, BEFORE age 60, you would receive 2,600 from the VA (tax-free) and gross 400 (before taxes) of your monthly PDRL.

2,600 plus 400 = your original PDRL military retirement of 3,000.

AT AGE 60, this will change as you would qualify for CRDP without offsets as you have a 20 "Good" year NG/RESERVE retirement letter. BUT - the most you can get is whatever your NG/RESERVE retirement would be at age 60.

So, at age 60, you would get 2,600 per month VA. AND, your PDRL would increase from 400 to 1,400 - the 1,400 being your NG retirement amount.

This is why it is important to make sure your RPAS (NG Retirement Points Statement) is correct and all your time is accounted for.

SO fight to get your military disablity retirement. Then make sure your NG retirement statement is correct.
Also, as you already know, if you are succssful with your case and are awarded your military disability retirement, you would also qualify for TRICARE, too.

v/r,
nwlivewire

NDBravehart84-
For the calculator for base pay, do I use the last three years of drill pay? I have both active and guard time, and most of the info I'm getting is conflicting when it comes to combined service time. Great excel spreadsheet, by the way. I will definitely pass it on. Thank Dave for me.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/subtitle-A/part-II/chapter-61

If you were on orders for greater than 30 days when your injury happened...both active and inactive duty points count....if you have 7200 points, you are retired at at least 50% (the greater of 2.5% x points/360, or your percent disability) no matter the percent disabled.....as long as your condition is unfitting......but if your active and inactive points add up to less than 7200 points, then just your percentage counts.....and you need to be about 30%. At least that's my quick and dirty understanding.