script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Navy Reserve Medical Ret

Deepsea

Registered Member
I am rated 100% P&T through the VA, I have 16 years total, active and reserve. I am wondering if it would be better to get a Medical retirement from the reserves or stay in for my 20 if I can make it the next 4 years. Also, I am wondering how that process would work to start the medical retirement and if anyone would guess on how much I would get from the Navy retirement pay if I was medically retired.

Thanks for any advice or help in this matter.

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am rated 100% P&T through the VA, I have 16 years total, active and reserve. I am wondering if it would be better to get a Medical retirement from the reserves or stay in for my 20 if I can make it the next 4 years. Also, I am wondering how that process would work to start the medical retirement and if anyone would guess on how much I would get from the Navy retirement pay if I was medically retired.

Thanks for any advice or help in this matter.
If in Reserves you can get 15 year letter instead of 20 year letters so no worries about getting retirement at eligible age 60 or younger due to reduction by deployments. However, if you can stick it out to 20 years you will qualify for CRDP which means you get VA disability and your retirement check at the same time not to exceed the longevity amount earned as a pension:) So hitting 20 years is better.

Deepsea

Registered Member
If in Reserves you can get 15 year letter instead of 20 year letters so no worries about getting retirement at eligible age 60 or younger due to reduction by deployments. However, if you can stick it out to 20 years you will qualify for CRDP which means you get VA disability and your retirement check at the same time not to exceed the longevity amount earned as a pension:) So hitting 20 years is better.
I read somewhere if I got a rating of 30% or higher my Navy retirement would kick in at day one and my retirement pay would be higher and that it would not offset my VA payments. Do you know if that is true or does that only apply to active duty people? Sorry for more questions and thank you for getting back to me.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I read somewhere if I got a rating of 30% or higher my Navy retirement would kick in at day one and my retirement pay would be higher and that it would not offset my VA payments. Do you know if that is true or does that only apply to active duty people? Sorry for more questions and thank you for getting back to me.
Hello,

Not true.

30% DoD disability or more = DoD retired pay
That retired pay is reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. The "higher" aspect is an oversimplification and misleading. Sure, one can choose DoD pay if it higher, but they gain nothing because IF they chose the VA compensation instead, they still receive any residual (left over) retired pay after the reduction I just mentioned.

VA compensation is always the better choice, irrespective of the DoD percentage. VA comp is nontaxable.

Ron

Edited to add: For a CH 61 retiree to receive all their retired pay (without the help of CRDP), they would have to decline VA comp.
See the link below for CRSC info.

Deepsea

Registered Member
Hello,

Not true.

30% DoD disability or more = DoD retired pay
That retired pay is reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. The "higher" aspect is an oversimplification and misleading. Sure, one can choose DoD pay if it higher, but they gain nothing because IF they chose the VA compensation instead, they still receive any residual (left over) retired pay after the reduction I just mentioned.

VA compensation is always the better choice, irrespective of the DoD percentage. VA comp is nontaxable.

Ron

Edited to add: For a CH 61 retiree to receive all their retired pay (without the help of CRDP), they would have to decline VA comp.
See the link below for CRSC info.
Thank you for breaking it down for me.

Provis

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Another thing to think about is that you only would retire immediately if it was due to an LOD. I would just try to stick it out for 4 years but if they MEB board you then you don't have a choice.

Deepsea

Registered Member
Another thing to think about is that you only would retire immediately if it was due to an LOD. I would just try to stick it out for 4 years but if they MEB board you then you don't have a choice.
I have nothing going right now so I will just let it be and not speak up and get my next 4 years knocked out.