Navy Reservist injured during Active Duty Orders overseas LOD request status unknown /medical hold from executing future orders

jmald10

Registered Member
Hi all,
To give you an overview of my case I am currently in the Navy Reserve (Drilling reservist), I was mobilized overseas in 2018 for around 7 months (Active Duty Orders). On March 2018 I was injured in the leg (calf contusion/ swollen knee) and sent to the hospital on base in Japan. Due to the deployment conditions, I was not able to get X-Rays, or ultrasound testing and was prescribed some medications and placed on SIQ (Sick in quarters) for a week and later (LLD Light Limited Duty). Following several visits back to medical, I was told that after the deployment, once we were settled back in the US, I will be able to continue with follow up care and other medical testing if needed. I explained
To give you an overview of my case I am currently in the Navy Reserve (Drilling reservist), I was mobilized overseas in 2018 for around 7 months (Active Duty Orders). On March 2018 I was injured in the leg (calf contusion/ swollen knee) and sent to the hospital on base in Japan. Due to the deployment conditions, I was not able to get X-Rays, or ultrasound testing and was prescribed some medications and placed on SIQ (Sick in quarters) for a week and later (LLD Light Limited Duty). Following several visits back to medical, I was told that after the deployment, once we were settled back in the US, I will be able to continue with follow up care and other medical testing if needed. I explained the same issue to the doctor during my Demob Physical and after examining my medical records and my leg he recommended to continue medical care back at the NOSC (Naval Operational Support Center) medical department. Fast forward to today, my active duty orders ended and I am back in the Reserves again trying to resolve these issue. During drill, I reported the complaint to the Navy Flight Surgeon, who referred me to see a provider for further evaluation. At this point I did not know what an LOD was. So I scheduled an appointment through Tricare (Tricare Reserve select premium-based plan). I visited the orthopedic provider and was diagnosed with bilateral metatarsalgia and Left Plantar fasciitis. She explained that due to the previous left calf injury, if I continue to run long distances without a full recovery, my body weight was not being distributed evenly and will result in further injury of my left foot/leg. Tricare did not cover this medial bill and when I spoke to a Tricare representative and explained my situation, she informed me that Tricare will not cover Mobilization related injuries. She proceeded to explain that LOD coverage is separate from any other TRICARE coverage received including TAMP or TRICARE Reserve Select, and that one of my bills was incorrectly processed under TAMP, when it should have been processed under LOD. She reminded me that it is the Department of Defense policy to provide medical care to Reserve component members for injuries, or illness incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
She then directed me back to my unit. My unit medical representative was not been helpful at all and were not answering any emails or requests from me, so I had to include the whole chain of command up to the CO, in my last communication to address the issue. Finally, I was able to push the LOD request through, but until this day I haven’t had any answers. I decided to take care of the injury on my own, and now my injury progressed from an undiagnosed swelling and leg pain into a complete torn ACL, which needs surgery. Since I am medically down due to the LOD on file I am not able to mobilized or continue furthering my career with any type of orders or school requests. But no determination has been made on my LOD since it was opened in 22Mar2019. I was advised by my medical representative that I can rescind my LOD request, otherwise I will continue to have that medical hold and was not able to give me a definitive answer on the time it may take for a determination, “months, years, who knows”.
I am not sure what to do at this point.
My apologies for a long email, but I am not able to find the answer anywhere.
Thank you in advance.
the same issue to the doctor during my Demob Physical and after examining my medical records and my leg he recommended to continue medical care back at the NOSC (Naval Operational Support Center) medical department. Fast forward to today, my active duty orders ended and I am back in the Reserves again trying to resolve these issue. During drill, I reported the complaint to the Navy Flight Surgeon, who referred me to see a provider for further evaluation. At this point I did not know what an LOD was. So I scheduled an appointment through Tricare (Tricare Reserve select premium-based plan). I visited the orthopedic provider and was diagnosed with bilateral metatarsalgia and Left Plantar fasciitis. She explained that due to the previous left calf injury, if I continue to run long distances without a full recovery, my body weight was not being distributed evenly and will result in further injury of my left foot/leg. Tricare did not cover this medial bill and when I spoke to a Tricare representative and explained my situation, she informed me that Tricare will not cover Mobilization related injuries. She proceeded to explain that LOD coverage is separate from any other TRICARE coverage received including TAMP or TRICARE Reserve Select, and that one of my bills was incorrectly processed under TAMP, when it should have been processed under LOD. She reminded me that it is the Department of Defense policy to provide medical care to Reserve component members for injuries, or illness incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
She then directed me back to my unit. My unit medical representative was not been helpful at all and were not answering any emails or requests from me, so I had to include the whole chain of command up to the CO, in my last communication to address the issue. Finally, I was able to push the LOD request through, but until this day I haven’t had any answers. I decided to take care of the injury on my own, and now my injury progressed from an undiagnosed swelling and leg pain into a complete torn ACL, which needs surgery. Since I am medically down due to the LOD on file I am not able to mobilized or continue furthering my career with any type of orders or school requests. But no determination has been made on my LOD since it was opened in 22Mar2019. I was advised by my medical representative that I can rescind my LOD request, otherwise I will continue to have that medical hold and was not able to give me a definitive answer on the time it may take for a determination, “months, years, who knows”.
I am not sure what to do at this point.
My apologies for a long email, but I am not able to find the answer anywhere.
Thank you in advance.