Navy SRB Debt Recoupment Remission advice

GrilledCheezus

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,

For some back story, I was a nuclear electronics technician in the Navy but was dq'd due to medications and my GI issues (also was dealing with undiagnosed narcolepsy with cataplexy at the time). I was eventually diagnosed with the N w/ C January of 2019. April of this year, I was reviewing my LES and I noticed that a Debt of ~$65K was posted and they were starting to deduct $500 per month to pay it off. Now, I made the mistake of assuming that the paper pushers at the personnel detachments and DFAS would follow the DoD FMR and the OPNAV 1160.8B. Well, I obviously was wrong in my judgement.

As I am currently being Medboarded, and the way the instructions read, it should be a cut and dry remission.

Currently, I have the DD form 2789, my personal statement formatted as a memo, a personal statement from my old supervisor (who conveniently enough was our command career counselor and worked closely with our CO), a copy of the DoD FMR volume 7A chapter 2, Copy of OPNAV 1160.8B, Copy of my April LES. I am not quite sure what else I should include, and I welcome any recommendations. Thanks all.