Navy Timeline and Results

willik71

Registered Member
Hello,

I finally received my ratings from PEB board. I got 40% DoD and 80% VA. Can someone please help me with the retirement pay? I getting $1587.25 from the VA and have 10 years of AD Navy Service E-5 base pay. I don't think I will receive retirement check. Has anyone been in the same situation as myself?

Thanks.

Hello,

I finally received my ratings from PEB board. I got 40% DoD and 80% VA. Can someone please help me with the retirement pay? I getting $1587.25 from the VA and have 10 years of AD Navy Service E-5 base pay. I don't think I will receive retirement check. Has anyone been in the same situation as myself?

Thanks.

I'm in the same situation as you right now as far as being medically retired before 20 years.

You will not receive DoD retirement AND VA disability compensation. You will waive DoD compensation in lieu of VA compensation because it will be the greater of the two in your situation.

Receiving both types of compensation is known as Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP):

"Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004.

You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP."

Source: DFAS

@RonG

RonG is the finance guy.

Hello,

Thanks.

Re: " Has anyone been in the same situation as myself?"

Your situation is as common as the sun rising in the east.

1. Your retired pay will be High Three Average base pay x 40% = retired pay
  2. By law, your retired pay will be waived in the amount of VA compensation received (1587.25). Any retired pay left over (residual) you keep. However, @ 40% that is unlikely.
  3. As stated by another, you are not eligible for CRDP.
  4. If you have combat related disabilities, recommend you apply for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). CRSC replaces some or all waived retired pay for combat related disabilities. You can download CRSC info at this CRSC LINK
  5. Residual retired pay will reduce the CRSC amount.
Ron

Last edited: