Navy wounded warrior/ PEB update

nicholeac

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So while I was in office today with my navy wounded warrior rep he called DC and they confirmed about a 6 month wait time. Estimated my actual separation around april 2022… hoping this isn’t the case but as of right now they are severely back logged and in lack of staff.

Speaking of Navy Wounded Warrior program, if anyone hasn't already reached out to the program you definitely should.

This is different than the Wounded Warrior project.

It is a program run by the Navy and each branch has their own version.

It may not be for everyone but it is another resource that the Navy provides and you might as well get from the Navy what you can.

Easiest way to access it is through the My Navy portal quick links page.

Speaking of Navy Wounded Warrior program, if anyone hasn't already reached out to the program you definitely should.

It may not be for everyone but it is another resource that the Navy provides and you might as well get from the Navy what you can.

I attempted that but my command said I didn’t “rate” because I’m not “missing any limbs” and “haven’t been hit by an IED”

I attempted that but my command said I didn’t “rate” because I’m not “missing any limbs” and “haven’t been hit by an IED”
It's not through your command. I self referred.

My understanding is that most people on LIMDU rate a Cat 1 and that will give you 6 months of the program. Cat 2 or 3 will give you an additional NEC to inform the detailer if you stay in and lifetime enrollment in to the program.

Never go blindly off what your command says. Find the instruction and consult that on everything you try to do in the Navy. People are fallible. But if you have the instruction in front of you, it's hard for someone to say it is wrong.

I am a CAT 2 NWW, and I haven't lost any limbs and last I checked I wasn't hit by an IED.

My understanding is that most people on LIMDU rate a Cat 1 and that will give you 6 months of the program. Cat 2 or 3 will give you an additional NEC to inform the detailer if you stay in and lifetime enrollment in to the program.

Never go blindly off what your command says. Find the instruction and consult that on everything you try to do in the Navy. People are fallible. But if you have the instruction in front of you, it's hard for someone to say it is wrong.

I am a CAT 2 NWW, and I haven't lost any limbs and last I checked I wasn't hit by an IED.

I’m a Marine. When I originally tried doing wounded warrior my flight surgeon told me that it’s up to the command if I get sent since it would be TAD orders. They essentially told me to F off because I would still count against the squadrons manpower. I didn’t try again because my Peblo told me I would EAS by July. Not sure it’s even worth trying again since I’ve been PCA’d to another unit and I’m at almost 17 weeks at the PEB. I’m just fed up at this point. I’ve burned 50 days of leave to avoid having to be at work because of how much pain I’m in.

So while I was in office today with my navy wounded warrior rep he called DC and they confirmed about a 6 month wait time. Estimated my actual separation around april 2022… hoping this isn’t the case but as of right now they are severely back logged and in lack of staff.
When was your packet sent out?

Your command is misinformed. WW includes wounded,injured, and ill service members.

Great advice. When I first was notified of an MEB, I quickly filled a large three ring binder with copies of guidance, both DoD and my service guidance.

That is unfortunate to hear about the commands giving servicemembers a hard time. Honestly, it is not up to them. I am enrolled in the Navy Safe Harbor Wounded Warrior. They helped me tremendously. They put a new roof on my house 15K and new heating and AC unit 8K in cost. It is not about the money, so many resources that can help out Sailors. Each branch has a wounded warrior unit. Out of my 21 plus years of active service, this is one of the best-kept secrets. Also, compassionate and genuine people. My coordinator is awesome. Great Lakes coordinator.

That is unfortunate to hear about the commands giving servicemembers a hard time. Honestly, it is not up to them. I am enrolled in the Navy Safe Harbor Wounded Warrior. They helped me tremendously. They put a new roof on my house 15K and new heating and AC unit 8K in cost. It is not about the money, so many resources that can help out Sailors. Each branch has a wounded warrior unit. Out of my 21 plus years of active service, this is one of the best-kept secrets. Also, compassionate and genuine people. My coordinator is awesome. Great Lakes coordinator.

That’s awesome! I’m glad at least some people get to utilize wounded warrior. I really regret not requesting mast over it but I was worried I’d be treated even worse by them if I did.

That’s awesome! I’m glad at least some people get to utilize wounded warrior. I really regret not requesting mast over it but I was worried I’d be treated even worse by them if I did.
My command isn't involved with it at all. They literally had no input on it. Just me and the NWW coordinator.

I'm waiting on NWW approval. I'm a Reservist. I'm not missing my arms yet but I was hit by a car as a pedestrian.

What program did they go through for your roof and ac?

What is this program mainly used for though? I am on day 127 of waiting on a decision (since sending the packet to Corpus Cristi) and I am doing a Skill Bridge program to occupy my time. At this point.. I am looking to take advantage of any program that is available for us in this shitty situation.

What is this program mainly used for though? I am on day 127 of waiting on a decision (since sending the packet to Corpus Cristi) and I am doing a Skill Bridge program to occupy my time. At this point.. I am looking to take advantage of any program that is available for us in this shitty situation.

In the Marine Corps it’s essentially just another “command” that you get orders to and they provide a bunch of resources and the time needed to recover from whatever injuries you have and give you the ability to not worry about your operational requirement anymore since you’re injured. That is just my understanding of it after speaking on the phone with them. I’m almost at 140 days I’m praying I hear something before I hit 150.

Best thing to do is call them for yourself and ask. Best case scenario you are a good fit for the program and find it useful. Worst case scenario you know why it's not the program for you.