NC National Guard Solider Waiting On WTU Acceptance

dtbusick

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi all,

I am currently a NC National Guard solider and waiting on my acceptance into WTU. Here is the breakdown. Deployed twice to IRAQ in 07-08, 08-09. Left Active duty in 2010, joined NC Guard. Last summer just had complete meltdown. Admitted to VA Psych ward in Salisbury in Sept. Stayed there for 1 week. readmitted again in October stayed their for another week then my unit had me transfer to Popular springs Mental health Hospital in VA Later Oct. Stayed there for one month. Sent congressional forward from there wanting to get into a WTU. Left there in November. During December drill my commander did the paperwork and said he would send me to a WTU. Got my LOD approved for PTSD and TBI in January. Currently WTU packet is at National Guard Bureau about to be sent to WTU board for approval.

Currently diagnosed by the VA with: PTSD,TBI,MIGRAINES,BLACKOUTS,SLEEP APNEA,TINNITUS,RIGHT INDEX FINGER NO FEELING CRUSHED NERVE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.

My questions

1. What are the chances of me being accepted?
2. How long before I know of acceptance/denial
3. Am I doing the right thing by wanting to go to a WTU to solve my problems?

Thanks for any help!

Sgt. Busick

SRNCOREMF

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I will try to answer as best I can based on my experience.
1. With your CoC concurrence you have a great chance of getting into the WTU.
2. Timelines for getting into the WTU can range from several days to several months.
3. Any time you attempt to seek help you are doing the right thing. You have a plethora of issues that need concerted care and the WTU is a great place to begin coordinated care. Additionally, I am not sure of your civilian job, job performance and how your issues affect your job performance but I find it hard to believe you can do a stellar performance with your current list of issues. The WTU remedies that by paying you to HEAL! That is SOLELY your mission.

If your issues will require 6 months plus to resolve and you have an excellent support group at home (funds, support, transportation, computer/fax, a unit or federal worksite to use, family, etc.) then as soon as you get to the WTU you may want to request movement to a CBWTU.

Good luck in your endeavors and please keep us posted.

dtbusick

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! I just want life to get better for me and my family. My biggest regret is letting my symptoms get out of control, because I am so lucky to be here today. Getting in this program means everything to me and my family. I will have updates.

Sgt. Busick

dtbusick

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was on temp agr orders in the NC guard from June-November of last year (2012), but to get me to the WTU my command took me off orders and did a dd-214 for me so now I am on M-Day status waiting on approval

dtbusick

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
GOT MY ORDERS TODAY! I will be transfering to the WTU at Fort Bragg in early June. It has been a long 9 months and am ready for this new chapter in my life. Thank everyone for the advice I will keep posting thoughout the long process.

blonde8383

Registered Member
SGT Busick First I would like to say thank you for your service. I am trying to help my husband along with this as well so I am excited to find someone who is going thru something similar as him. He was active duty from 89-2001 and he has been in the National guard since 2009. They are trying to board him out of the National Guard and said something about him possibly going to at WTU but no one has explained anything to him. We are in TN and live right outside of FT.Campbell. He just got his new compensation percentage from the VA and it is at 90%.... 70% is just PTSD. He also is waiting for total hip replacement and he is only 42 years old and list at the VA is another year or two before he will be called up for surgery.
If anyone has any insight on what the process should/would be like I would greatly appreciate it. We have 4 kids and he just had to quit his GOV job because of his PTSD and inability to keep working with the issues that he has. He has been in the hospital 2x's one for 9 days and the next for 11. I just want my husband better and he wants to try to find his new normal but him not being able to take care of his family is not helping the situation or his mental state.
Thank You
A concerned spouse/former Army Brat

blonde8383

Registered Member
SGT Busick First I would like to say thank you for your service. I am trying to help my husband along with this as well so I am excited to find someone who is going thru something similar as him. He was active duty from 89-2001 and he has been in the National guard since 2009. They are trying to board him out of the National Guard and said something about him possibly going to at WTU but no one has explained anything to him. We are in TN and live right outside of FT.Campbell. He just got his new compensation percentage from the VA and it is at 90%.... 70% is just PTSD. He also is waiting for total hip replacement and he is only 42 years old and list at the VA is another year or two before he will be called up for surgery.
If anyone has any insight on what the process should/would be like I would greatly appreciate it. We have 4 kids and he just had to quit his GOV job because of his PTSD and inability to keep working with the issues that he has. He has been in the hospital 2x's one for 9 days and the next for 11. I just want my husband better and he wants to try to find his new normal but him not being able to take care of his family is not helping the situation or his mental state.
Thank You
A concerned spouse/former Army Brat

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">