Need Advice - Separate Normally, or extend for PEB?

Timjc65

Registered Member
Hi everyone,

First time posting here, looking for a little guidance...
I was diagnosed with asthma almost a year ago, but not assigned limited duty until January of this year. My EAS is August, with the original intent being July for Terminal leave. What both my pulmonologist and my Battalion Medical Officer have both told me is that they think the best COA is to simply put my back onto a full-duty medical status a week before I check out on terminal so that I can get out normally, without waiting 8-12 months for a PEB to settle, and have assured me that this will not affect by VA benefits when I go to file claims.

So, I am here with the decision to make, do I go with their advice, and file my claims through the BDD (pre-discharge claims) as if I am not already in the IDES system, if that is even possible? Or do I do it the "right" way and just wait until this first limited duty cycle is complete in June, and let them submit for PEB and wait to get out that way... I know two Marines who last year got seperated medically (one retired, one med-sep) one of which was for asthma like me, and I know that the way their VA claims were handled was in some way different, and possible better, that going through the normal veins -but I can't really know for sure.

Does anyone else have any relevant thoughts of guidance on this? Perhaps any Camp Pendleton Marines in particular? Or just Dpt of Navy asthma cases who might have a good idea on timelines?
Also, should I be working with a VSO to help with my claims? I have many other issues besides my severe Asthma I intend to claim, but I am unsure of the process for BDD since I am already in IDES.

Thank you all for your time!

- Sgt C

Separating normally will not reduce your VA benefits. The quickest way, under that scenario, is benefits at discharge program.

If your <20 there is no CRDP at stake.

However TriCare is relatively good insurance. Even as a second payer it is nice. Separating without an MEB means that benefit is likely gone. Though you could apply through the BCMR.

Good luck in the next chapter of life.

However TriCare is relatively good insurance. Even as a second payer it is nice. Separating without an MEB means that benefit is likely gone. Though you could apply through the BCMR.

Good luck in the next chapter of life.

If you have the ability to pursue a MEB with a good or near solid possibility of a disability retirement outcome (above 30%), I would pursue this avenue. @chaplaincharlie is absolutely right - the medical insurance and security you get from having that is priceless, especially in these uneven times.

You will, however, also have VA to fall back on. It's a win win.

If you have the ability to pursue a MEB with a good or near solid possibility of a disability retirement outcome (above 30%), I would pursue this avenue. @chaplaincharlie is absolutely right - the medical insurance and security you get from having that is priceless, especially in these uneven times.

You will, however, also have VA to fall back on. It's a win win.
Thank you both for your input.
My friend who was recently retired for Asthma was rated 60% by the DOD and 100 VA, and I have reason to believe that mine is a very similar case (same severity of asthma.)

With that being said, are there any other major differences to the VA claims process since I am already in the IDES system? I would like to file my BDD now, since my original EAS is August, but I am not sure if this is possible since I am limited duty and in IDES. Also, if I do file now but then stay in to go through the PEB process, will that VA filing at all affect my later claims?

If you go through the IDES process you are automatically eligible for VA when retired. If you are relatively sure you will be 60% DoD for respiratory, I'd lean heavily toward staying for the IDES decision.

I would agree with Chaplain Charlie- there is no downside to your case. Even at 30% for Asthma which is the typical rating if you require daily medication you are looking at a Medical Retirement with all the benefits. You cannot underestimate the value of a lifetime of retirement benefits especially health insurance wise with Tricare. I would hang on and finish the process since you stated you are already in the IDES process.

Best of luck to you!