Need Advice

btcanon

PEB Forum Regular Member
So any advice anyone could offer would be awesome.

Injured in Afghanistan, April of this year. L5-S1 herniated, torn, L3-L4 bulging, L2-L3 bulging, and all three are degenerated. Also C5-C6 Herniated and leaning on my spinal cord. Needless to say I'm in just a little pain. MEB has been initiated. PULHES is 133111.

Was MEDEVAC'd to WTU and sent back to the Rear-d unit, from there I have basically been treated like I never deployed. "Playing injured" Has been said to me, and now that my unit has completely re-deployed I am told by Rear-d that I will have to stay with them until December. I had it worked out to where I would come in in the morning and then go home at lunch so I could lay flat and take my pain meds, but today was told that I have to be there all day. Effectively that means I cant take my meds, because I am supposed to be able to drive back from lunch, narcotics and driving don't mix and my permanent profile says as much...it reads as:

No Bending, Climbing, Crawling, Crouching, Jumping/Landing, Kneeling, Running, or Twisting. No Pushing/Pulling, or Reaching (above shoulder). No Lifting/Lowering/
Carrying for more than 20 pounds. No Standing for more than 10 Minutes per hour. No Walking/Marching for more than 300 Meters at own pace and distance. Soldier is
taking medication that should not be combined with alcoholic beverages. Tasks such as driving, operating heavy machinery or working on scaffolding/or near heavy
machinery may be dangerous to self or others.

No ruck, no combatives, no body armor/IBA/Gear. No running, no push-ups, no sit-ups.

So if I were to take my meds, drive back to work, get in an accident, I will be hemmed up for DUII, and breaking my profile. I'm stuck, and need some different thoughts on what I can do.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Go see the doc and tell them what they are trying to make you do so they can rewrite your restrictions. Your leadership has no choice but to follow what the doctor writes on your profile. I would shoot for half-day duty where you are released at lunch for the day. Good luck!

btcanon,

I'm truly sorry to hear of injuries and pain. It gets so complicated and people who don't have back pain or problems really don't understand. Just keep your medical records and treatments in order.
It sounds like your profile is pretty complete...but, I would go back through medical and get half days added. It sounds like someone in your chain of command let you go home at lunch-kind of "off the record"...is that correct? Let the doc know that you were/and are in pain and that you are exhausted by noon. Chronic pain is exhausting. Let the doc know that you were able to have some half days and it really made a difference-that you could take meds and rest. This is beneficial to you-You said your MEB has been initiated. Bed rest prescribed by a physician can potentially benefit you when you are rated. But, if it wasn't documented and it wasn't prescribed by a doc-it won't help you. Also, its critical you get your chain of command on your side. And by that-I mean that they are in the loop. Your commander has the last say...you are an asset...even though you kind of aren't now (I say that kindly....LOL) ...you are a number on the books and they need you. If you can't do your job, the sooner they can release you and get your position filled the better for them. Go through your chain of command-let them know that you want to help in the mornings-get your half days...then you can give them a few good hours. But let them know that you just can't make it through the day.
Think positive. Be positive. Be pro-active and productive. You will get through this. The rest is important-thats when your body heals itself-when it is at rest. Keep us posted.

I actually sat down with one of the platoon NCO's yesterday, apparently he had never seen my permanent profile, so he is now okay with the half days thing, the problem with getting it put on my profile is that the MEB doctor says they are not authorized to put time limitations on duty. That being said, can I have a temporary profile that limits duty to go with the permanent profile? I was never the "profile" type, just meaning I had only ever had the very temporary aid station types before this, so not completely sure on all of the rules.

Well this is where we part ways. In the Air Force, the docs can authorize restricted duty - I know about one that works in a shop I am taking over next month. He only has to come in for duty three days per week (MWF) and only works half days during those days. Hopefully someone that knows the Army regs can chime in here and answer that for you.

I would still try to get something documented in my profile. Leadership changes over time and the platoon leaders may get pressured into changing their position in the matter. But to do so you need reference from regs that provide the procedures to get it done legally.

hey bt,

Glad to hear you're back on those 1/2days. I love hearing stories about the good NCO's!

Now I would definitely recommend you try to get a temp profile from your PCM-it covers your butt and your NCO's.

I'm a little confused in your reference to MEB doc. Your PCM or any doctor you see through medical who is treating you for your condition-CAN put you on 1/2 days...that can be part of restriction of duty. AND, it could be important for your future rating, albeit-first and foremost is that you are able to function and get through your days now. Usually though-the doc that will allow/dictate 1/2 days will be the doctor who has continued care in your case. If you see different docs then it becomes a cluster and no one wants to take accountability. And yes, I would ...I hate to use this word "assume" , it would be a temp profile. Again, glad to hear you've got the 1/2days again.

Apparently the hospital commander will not allow duty limitations on permanent profiles, I cant even see my PCM because I have to be referred by our BN Aid Station, but we have no PA so cant get that. It's becoming a real pain in the ass, everyone just wants to pass me around and not take any responsibility. I'm persistent though, and working on it.

Just FYI...your profile is a "suggestion" from the doc and your unit does not have to legally follow it...although most all will.