need advice

tonyf

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I'm currently AD Air Force awaiting my MEB. Had emergency surgery in November for CES, basically disk blew and crushed the lower part of my spinal cord. i lost all felling waist down bladder and bowel as well. i have regained some function. Problem is two weeks prior to surgery i was seen by my provider and diagnosed with muscle spasms, prescribed muscle relaxers and sent on my way without ordering an mri. two weeks later my spinal cord dissapeered from the disk compression. Now just left my appointment and was told that more than likely i will be separated. That my condition will probably not get get the 30% to be retired even though my rehab doctor has said that i will never be able to do my job again and most cases progress that was made starts deteriorating. I dont know if the misdiagnosis will help my case, or that most cases get worse with time, not just physically but mentally. if anybody has advice for me it would be appreciated. Do they take mental factors into consideration? and if they separate me and my condition gets worse can i still go back and get med retirement?

robs42

PEB Forum Veteran
i wouldn't read too much into them telling you that you will not receive 30% or higher. ratings are for the boards and the VA, to make that determination.

1'st what you need to do is to ensure that you are getting the care you need. if that means a 2'nd, 3'rd or 4'th opinion, go for it. if you have to go to the VA for care, you can do that. we have no control over what will happen to us in regards to staying in or getting seperated. your job is to get better or get to a point where you are comforible or your condition is under control.
2'nd i would start to research this board for cases like yours. educating yourself to the "system" is one of the most important keys. you are not alone here.
3'rd thing. i would ensure that your medical records are in-line and everything is getting documented CORRECTLY.

the mental health piece has alot to do w/many of our cases. depression/anxiety can go along hand and hand w/become injured or disabled. if you are not enrolled in some type of behavioral health program, i would give it some thought. if you don't feel comfotable w/the military, the VA has Vet's Centers that are great w/counseling. the link for the vet's center is below my signature. if they do initiate an MEB i would give some thought to applying for a VA and Social Security claim. it's a fairly simple, but can be a long wait time. those links are w/the vet's center oe on my sig..

if you have any questions or concerns or just need to BS/vent, feel free to contact me. do not hesistate to ask questions here too. there are alot of really great and knowledgible people here that may be going through the same situation as you or have already been through it. good luck and keep us posted!

tonyf

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Thanks this whole process is so damn stressful good thing is i have two close buddies that currently in the process

dubber25

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Robs42 makes a lot of good points.

Also, if you need to vent send me a PM sometime (I know how stressful this process is/can be).

tonyf

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
So after waiting since June to see a therapist i finally got an appt i guess the canceled my last appt. because they couldn't find the last therapist notes which were in my med record the whole time. hopefully this thing starts moving faster.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">