Need alittle help

C_Dirt

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
New to the forums but have been looking for a while.

I blew my ACL out in my left knee along with my meniscus out during train up for deployment in 2012. I have been dealing with it for a while. They are giving the option of surgery or just drive on with a permanent profile. My PMC is seeing all these issues is saying med board. My question is if I elect to fix my knee now will it hurt my med board results down the road or take the med board now with the injured knee not fixed.

A little back ground on my issues. I hurt my left shoulder during an assault training mission which led to surgery. They repair my labrum and the doc relocated my biceps tendon. I have limited range of motion with my shoulder and have pain where they did the cut for the bicep tendon relocation. I have been having numbness and some pain in that arm. They ended up doing a C-Spine MRI and found that I have 2 bulging disc c5/c6 and c6/c7 is bulging but pushing on the nerve causing the numbness in my arm. I have no pain but my ROM is bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New to the forums but have been looking for a while.

I blew my ACL out in my left knee along with my meniscus out during train up for deployment in 2012. I have been dealing with it for a while. They are giving the option of surgery or just drive on with a permanent profile. My PMC is seeing all these issues is saying med board. My question is if I elect to fix my knee now will it hurt my med board results down the road or take the med board now with the injured knee not fixed.

A little back ground on my issues. I hurt my left shoulder during an assault training mission which led to surgery. They repair my labrum and the doc relocated my biceps tendon. I have limited range of motion with my shoulder and have pain where they did the cut for the bicep tendon relocation. I have been having numbness and some pain in that arm. They ended up doing a C-Spine MRI and found that I have 2 bulging disc c5/c6 and c6/c7 is bulging but pushing on the nerve causing the numbness in my arm. I have no pain but my ROM is bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, the primary question I would ask at this point is does any of your medical conditions affect the performance of duty in your assigned military occupational specialty for your particular grade or rank? If you decide to have medical surgery and cannot be returned to a full-duty status, then it will be necessary for you to be referred to the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES).

As such, the IDES process begins whenever a military service member's medical providers determine that the military service member's ability to continue military service is questionable due to a physical or mental impairment. Again, it is the impact of the medical condition(s) upon the military service member ability to perform duties appropriate to his or her rank and job skill that is important.

Moreover, it is important to remember that the DoD IDES process is a performance-based system. Simply because a military service member has a medical condition does not mean that the military service member cannot continue to serve on active duty or in the reserve component/national guard.

To that extent, a military service member with a serious medical condition can be found fit when the evidence establishes that the military service member can perform his or her duties. The mere fact that one or more medical conditions exist does not constitute an unfit determination. Also, the inability to deploy to austere environments is only one factor in determining unfitness.

In reference to the officially published timeline of the DoD IDES MEB/PEB, I would like to direct your attention to my PEB Forum URL thread for a detailed explanation about the entire DoD IDES process as follows:

http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/a-detailed-explanation-of-the-dod-ides-meb-peb-process.22807/

With that all said, please remain "positively proactive" upon your potential referral into the DoD IDES process and never default acceptance to any injustices; fight then continue to fight some more until receipt of your desired expectations supportive via medical evidence and/or medical documentation! Take care, continue to get well, and enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Thank you for the response. I am a SGT (P) 19D Cav Scout. I have been told that in order to stay in the Army they would have me reclassed and with my conditions cannot do my job any longer but they also talk about doing a fit for duty. I want to stay in but it seems my PMC and Ortho are on two different pages. I need to make sure that I have all the information I possibly can before they put me in the system. Like you said "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Thank you for the response. I am a SGT (P) 19D Cav Scout. I have been told that in order to stay in the Army they would have me reclassed and with my conditions cannot do my job any longer but they also talk about doing a fit for duty. I want to stay in but it seems my PMC and Ortho are on two different pages. I need to make sure that I have all the information I possibly can before they put me in the system. Like you said "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Indeed, you are welcome! :)

Ah yes, definitely obtain all the facts in order to make a well-informed decision in reference to your future military career! Take care, continue to get well, and enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I would recommend sitting down with them and talking profiles.

What are your profiles for back w/ nerve, shoulder and knee? A P3 with a no in any basic Soldier task will trigger an MEB once they convert it to permanent. A P3 but able to do all the basic Soldier tasks will trigger a MAR2 and a reclass (you can turn it down if you want, or HRC can say no reclass options). A P2 won't trigger anything, but as a scout you are required all 1s in PUHLES, so if the commander judges if the condition interferes with being a scout, and he can trigger a mandatory reclass.

Chances of success with surgery, recovery time are important questions. Will they keep you on temporary until the knee is done and recovered or will they give you a P3 off the back or shoulder before hand? It is best to have all the conditions permanent profiled at the same time or you risk one not being unfit. This may be a factor in deciding if its better to wait until the VA to take care of knee surgery.

Can someone please help.
I am active guard reserve and just went through SRP for our deployment. The provider told me due to the changes to the changes to the retention and readiness program I am no longer deployable for a moderate allergy to be honey bee. I do not want to be put out, miss the deployment, or lose my job. I have little to no experience with this. What my unit is telling me to do is avoid a PEB. Any information guidance and information is appreciated.

@C_Dirt
One of the hardest things to do and most necessary in the IDES process is to evaluate honestly if one can meet standards are not. Only you can answer that question.

Once that decision is made; then pursuit of the respective end state become a no brainer.