Need guidance.

Berazil

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm currently a Navy Recruiter, and next January I will complete 8 years of active service. In November of 2010 while working aboard the ship I had a fall and injured my back. I have been treated for chronic pain since then. This past february 2017 I underwent a decompression and fusion surgery of my back/neck area. cervical 4 through cervical 7. I have been doing physical therapy and returned to recruiting, 6 months physical activities limitation. My surgeon already told me he does not recommend return to sea duty and a new injury to the area could be "catastrophic" due to the location of my injury ( he actually used that word in two different medical documents) He also stated I will need a military medical board review to determine retention or separation. My PRD is October of 2018. What should be my next step? Who do I contact to have a medical board requested? Do I wait for a sea duty screening when I try to reenlist to get the process started or should I get the MEB requested now? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

You need to speak to your doctor now, about getting everything squared away.

You can't actually request a MEB, your doctor needs to start the process.

Usually I would say you want to start the process sooner rather than later, however, as you hit 8 years in January, if I was in your shoes, I'd try to slow roll till closer to Jan.

Talk to y our PCM to find out if you will receive an MEB.

Thank you to both of you. I take my PCM is my civilian doctor. Once a have a MEB recommendation from him. Do I forward that to my command CO? Do I take it to the VA? The closest Navy base is about 4 hours away. I apologize for my ignorance but this is so overwhelming. Thank you again.

No clue on how to advise you, but I imagine you'll need to be seen by a Navy doctor to start your Navy MEB process.

Thought i would give an update on my process. Went to Great Lakes Naval Clinic last July, Doc reviewed my records, civilian surgeon letters and was ready to refer me to MEB due to my C4-C7 decompresion fusion but as I'm still being seen for knee arthritis/meniscus issues, He advised me to complete my knee treatment. He put me on LIMDU for 6 months and asked to return in November December time to get MEB started. I really appreciate all the help and info from the forum. Such a big help.

Latest Cervical ROM
Forward Flexion (0-45°): 0 to 5°
Extension (0-45°) : 0 to 0°
Right Lateral Flexion (0-45°): 0 to 10°
Left Lateral Rotation (0-45°): 0 to 9°
Right Rotation (0-80°): 0 to 12°
Left Rotation (0-80°): 0 to 11°