script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Need help computing CRSC with PDRL

Alex4621

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good day everyone,

I just finished with my FPEB this morning. I have been placed on PDRL with 90% VA no dependents and 50% DOD retirement with CRSC. I have been in 14 years.

VA compensation is:
$ 1998.92

The DOD will be:
$4272 x 50%.

I am unsure what the monthly income will be with CRSC. My attorney did a rough estimate and said it was $4k/mo.

I was hoping to just verify and make sure that our calculations are correct.

Very resepctfully,
Alex

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Good day everyone,

I just finished with my FPEB this morning. I have been placed on PDRL with 90% VA no dependents and 50% DOD retirement with CRSC. I have been in 14 years.

VA compensation is:
$ 1998.92

The DOD will be:
$4272 x 50%.

I am unsure what the monthly income will be with CRSC. My attorney did a rough estimate and said it was $4k/mo.

I was hoping to just verify and make sure that our calculations are correct.

Very resepctfully,
Alex
Hello @Alex4621

The following will be needed for an estimate:
1. Average high three base pay for retirement (i.e., highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36)
2. DoD disability percentage
3. VA disability percentage and amount and number of dependents by category
4. Approved or estimated CRSC percentage (requires application to service)
5. Did you convert to the blended retirement system?
6. Active duty or active duty equivalent years (it will be shown on your retirement under under "Disability Retirement" about 3/4 down the page.

Comments:
a. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. That will leave you a little over $130 in retired pay.
b. Your CRSC will be the lesser of
--The amount associated with the percentage approved by your service. That amount is found in the VA compensation tables.
--The longevity portion of your retired pay which will be AD years or equivalent x 2.5% (2%, if on blended plan) x average high three.
--Without all the necessary data, I can see that your total per month is going to be far short of the $4,000 estimated by your attorney.

Ron

Alex4621

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So I did not do Blended retirement.

my high-calculation with 14 years and 11 months, according to DFAS was $4272/mo. This is Before they multiple it by 50% for DOD medical retirement.

The Va is 90% and is $1998. It will not be reduced.

I am not sure what the CRSC reward will be or how it is calculated. I just know that it was awarded during th PEB.

Alex4621

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello @Alex4621

1. Average high three base pay for retirement (i.e., highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36)
2. DoD disability percentage
3. VA disability percentage and amount and number of dependents by category
4. Approved or estimated CRSC percentage (requires application to service)
5. Did you convert to the blended retirement system?
6. Active duty or active duty equivalent years (it will be shown on your retirement under under "Disability Retirement" about 3/4 down the page.

Comments:
a. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. That will leave you a little over $130 in retired pay.
b. Your CRSC will be the lesser of
--The amount associated with the percentage approved by your service. That amount is found in the VA compensation tables.
--The longevity portion of your retired pay which will be AD years or equivalent x 2.5% (2%, if on blended plan) x average high three.
--Without all the necessary data, I can see that your total per month is going to be far short of the $4,000 estimated by your attorney.

Ron
To provide the required information:

1. Average high three base pay for retirement: $4272

2. DoD disability percentage: 50%

3. VA disability percentage and amount and number of dependents by category: 90% w/o dependents.

4. Approved or estimated CRSC percentage (requires application to service): Approved CRSC

5. Did you convert to the blended retirement system? : no

6. Active duty or active duty equivalent years: 14 years and 11 months.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
So I did not do Blended retirement.

my high-calculation with 14 years and 11 months, according to DFAS was $4272/mo. This is Before they multiple it by 50% for DOD medical retirement.

The Va is 90% and is $1998. It will not be reduced.

I am not sure what the CRSC reward will be or how it is calculated. I just know that it was awarded during th PEB.
CRSC cannot be awarded during the PEB; one must be in a retired status for an application to receive consideration. Perhaps you were on the TDRL and had CRSC approved at that time?
You said: To provide the required information:

1. Average high three base pay for retirement: $4272

2. DoD disability percentage: 50%

3. VA disability percentage and amount and number of dependents by category: 90% w/o dependents. The Va is 90% and is $1998. It will not be reduced.

4. Approved or estimated CRSC percentage (requires application to service): Approved CRSC ?? unknown

5. Did you convert to the blended retirement system? : no

6. Active duty or active duty equivalent years: 14 years and 11 months.

Estimate based on the information you provided

a. 4272 high three x 50% = 2136 retired pay
b. 2136 minus 1998 VA amount = 138 residual retired pay you keep
c. 14 years 11 months AD (14.916) x 2.5% = 37.29% longevity multiplier
d. 4272 x 37.29% = 1593.03 longevity portion of retired pay
e. The combination of CRSC and residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity amount.
f. The approved CRSC percentage is unknown/not provided. --->Link to CRSC info and application links
g. Your CRSC will be the LESSER of:
(1) 1593.03 (plus you receive 138 residual retired pay)
(2) The amount in the VA compensation tables that represents the approved CRSC percentage --->LINK
Note for g(2): The combination of residual retired pay and the CRSC amount cannot exceed the longevity amount.
h. You also receive your full VA comp.

Ron

Alex4621

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good afternoon,

yes that is correct. I was on TDRL. I submitted the package to the CORB before I filed an appeal. The disability was deemed CR and CZ related. The proposal was PDRL with a rating of 50% with CRSC.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello,

You said, "
Good afternoon,

"yes that is correct. I was on TDRL. I submitted the package to the CORB before I filed an appeal. The disability was deemed CR and CZ related. The proposal was PDRL with a rating of 50% with CRSC."

There are four possible separate ratings.
1. The DoD disabilities rating while going through the PEB/MEB They rate only unfitness for continued service,
2. The VA rating which is for all service connected disabilities.
3. Correction to Military Records
4. A separate application for Crsc.

Do you have a letter from the Navy approving combat related special compensation? I am not speaking about an order or narrative for other ratings.
These words will be used, "combat related special compensation."

cc: @chaplaincharlie

Ron

Last edited:

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello Alex,

I've added a computation for 50% CRSC approval, if that is your rate after submitting a CRSC application. Note: The results of a PEB that shows certain disabilities as combat related is NOT an approval for CRSC.

Second Estimate based on the information you provided, with an inference you received a 50% CRSC approval.

a. 4272 high three x 50% = 2136 retired pay
b. 2136 minus 1998 VA amount = 138 residual retired pay you keep
c. 14 years 11 months AD (14.916) x 2.5% = 37.29% longevity multiplier
d. 4272 x 37.29% = 1593.03 longevity portion of retired pay
e. The combination of CRSC and residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity amount.
f. The approved CRSC percentage is unknown/not provided. --->Link to CRSC info and application links
g. Your CRSC will be the LESSER of:
(1) 1593.03 (plus you receive 138 residual retired pay)
OR
(2) The amount in the VA compensation tables that represents the approved CRSC percentage --->LINK
Note for g(2): The combination of residual retired pay and the CRSC amount cannot exceed the longevity amount.
ADDED: 50% CRSC in your case = 905.04 You would also receive the 138 residual retired pay.
h. You also receive your full VA comp.

Ron

Alex4621

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning Ron and Charlie Chaplain,

Thank you for helping me understand and break it down. The guys at DFAS couldn't seem to figure it out either.

Here is a snippet cut of the document that was signed.

1619794025104.png
This is pretty much the format for the Memorandum of Agreement between my attorneys and the Med Board. It was agreed and signed by both parties yesterday.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello Alex,

Thank you for providing the additional information. I still have not seen a CRSC approval nor a description of an approval of CRSC.

This collection of CRSC info describes the program and has links for the various services.
A Supplement to CRSC Information <----LINK

Ref: "The guys at DFAS couldn't seem to figure it out either." That was likely due to the DFAS not having an approved CRSC document.

The following is NOT an approval for Combat Related Special Compensation. It will help your claim though.
1619799400915.png
=====

Needed: A signed claim form (DD 2860), DD-214, DD-215 and other typical official documents include, but are not limited to VA narrative summary letters and VA code sheets, service medical record extracts, military personnel file extracts, military personnel data system printouts, prior military disability board decisions, line of duty determinations, safety mishap (accident) reports, next of kin notification (Western Union Telegrams), casualty reports, morning reports, duty status reports, order/travel voucher, official documents not in the military personnel record, etc.

Process:

--Gather Official Military, Medical, and VA documentation:

Send to CRSC board:
copies of DD 214/215s, as well as All VA-rating decisions including the VA letter,
the VA rating decisions and the VA code sheets,
Medical Records from MTF or VA physicians only, unless referred to a private physician by the VA,
other typical official documents include, service medical record extracts, military personnel file extracts, military personnel data system printouts, prior military disability board decisions, line of duty determinations, safety mishap (accident) reports, next of kin notification (Western Union Telegrams), casualty reports, morning reports, duty status reports, order/travel voucher, official documents not in the military personnel record, etc.

--Ensure medical records or documentation should show "HOW" the injury occurred

--Obtain a claim form DD Form 2860, Claim for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) Directives Division Select DD Forms and choose 2860. Note: The current version is July 2011 at the time of the preparation of this document.

-- Submit claim, along with all supporting documentation and medical records to the service concerned.

---
Ron

edited to add:
You mentioned: "I am unsure what the monthly income will be with CRSC. My attorney did a rough estimate and said it was $4k/mo."

--If the 50% approved CRSC (which has not yet occurred), is the lesser as described above, your income will be:
138 residual retired pay + 905.04 CRSC + 1998 VA amount = about 3041. Details were posted earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Eligibility
To qualify for CRSC you must:

• be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service