Need Help with MEB v. MAR2

12Z5M

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was deployed to Iraq (06-07) and Afghanistan (08-10) and was injured during both deployments. Upon my return from OEF, I went to the VA and was subsequently determined to have 60% disability (50% PTSD + 10% Tinnitus). I have several other issues claimed, but the process has now been over two years since filing claim. Additional issues are: spinal injuries exacerbated by active duty (prior fusions of C5-7 and L5-S1); mTBI causing migraines; Sleep Apnea (down to 8 incidents per hour with BiPAP); left knee injury (frayed ACL + MCL). I am 53 years old. I have a 20-year letter, with over 34 years of Guard service, 4700 points and 4 Title 10 mobilizations since 9/11). All claimed injuries have LODs or are otherwise documented in military treatment records from overseas.

My questions are these:
1) My current MND status states referring to MAR2. What is this, especially versus MEB/MMRB?
2) It is more advantageous to me to seek medical retirement or go on to receive my service retirement in 5.5 years?
3) I am due to ETS in November 2012 and need to know if they'll just wait me out, since I cannot extend due to non-deployable status?
4) I am barely able to perform my civilian job due to pain and headaches from injuries, but have been able to perform (minimum acceptable level) so far. Is it more advantageous to me to quit working and seek SS?
5) What kind of $$ am I looking at (need to know if I can survive on it).

Thank you all very much in advance for your assistance...

12Z5M

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was deployed to Iraq (06-07) and Afghanistan (08-10) and was injured during both deployments. Upon my return from OEF, I went to the VA and was subsequently determined to have 60% disability (50% PTSD + 10% Tinnitus). I have several other issues claimed, but the process has now been over two years since filing claim. Additional issues are: spinal injuries exacerbated by active duty (prior fusions of C5-7 and L5-S1); mTBI causing migraines; Sleep Apnea (down to 8 incidents per hour with BiPAP); left knee injury (frayed ACL + MCL). I am 53 years old. I have a 20-year letter, with over 35 years of Guard service, 4700 points and 4 Title 10 mobilizations since 9/11). All claimed injuries have LODs or are otherwise documented in military treatment records from overseas.

My questions are these:
1) My current MND status states referring to MAR2. What is this, especially versus MEB/MMRB?
2) It is more advantageous to me to seek medical retirement or go on to receive my service retirement in 5.5 years?
3) I am due to ETS in November 2012 and need to know if they'll just wait me out, since I cannot extend due to non-deployable status?
4) I am barely able to perform my civilian job due to pain and headaches from injuries, but have been able to perform (minimum acceptable level) so far. Is it more advantageous to me to quit working and seek SS?
5) What kind of $$ am I looking at (need to know if I can survive on it).

Thank you all very much in advance for your assistance...
UPDATE: June 15th fired from Federal contractor job for failing medical, due to injuries received in Iraq and Afghanistan. Applied for SSDI and SDI. Still no word from MED Board... Did not go to Annual Training this year due to inability to perform and fact that my RYE date gave me a good year as of April and my ETS is in November. Still don't know if the military is trying to wait me out until my ETS or if they have to extend me until med board is done?!? Would like to know if there is any way that they should have kept me on orders until these medical issues were cleared up? At DEMOB site, DR noted that I had post-concussion syndrome and annotated that I needed to go to mTBI clinic. I went there and they checked me out, then cleared me to seek assistance from VA upon REFRAD...

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
UPDATE: June 15th fired from Federal contractor job for failing medical, due to injuries received in Iraq and Afghanistan. Applied for SSDI and SDI. Still no word from MED Board... Did not go to Annual Training this year due to inability to perform and fact that my RYE date gave me a good year as of April and my ETS is in November.
Sounds like, at a minimum, you should be getting INCAP pay.

Still don't know if the military is trying to wait me out until my ETS or if they have to extend me until med board is done?!?
If you fail retention standards, per AR 40-501, you should have a MEB/PEB and, yes, they should extend you.

Would like to know if there is any way that they should have kept me on orders until these medical issues were cleared up? At DEMOB site, DR noted that I had post-concussion syndrome and annotated that I needed to go to mTBI clinic. I went there and they checked me out, then cleared me to seek assistance from VA upon REFRAD...
Sounds like it. I strongly suspect you have a claim for wrongful discharge. If so, you would be due active duty pay and allowances since your separation.

12Z5M

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you... who would I begin talking to about the wrongful discharge? I came off orders in March 2010 and have been battling with VA and ARNG ever since, trying to get medical care that was oriented toward fixing my wartime injuries rather than just routine medical maintenance. It is a slow process. One of the C&P examiners told me that my knee, which allegedly has "frayed" ACL, MCL and some other ligament issues (as well as derangement), needed to just "develop" for awhile. I told him that I could barely bend it and that it was locking. When I asked him if letting it develop meant letting it blow out, he said that a least then, there would be a definitive problem. I once tried to get INCAP pay back in 2002 after having hernia surgery while on the airport mission and discovered that nobody knew how to get it. After a few weeks of no income, I just sucked it up and went back to work. "It only hurts when you breathe, right?"

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">