script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

need help

bizzle05

PEB Forum Regular Member
I am new to this so please bare with me. I am currently in the army with 14 1/2 years in. I have had both hip joints replaced plus I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder, OSA, post concussion syndrome and depression. I was told that I do not qualify for WTU. I want to stay in and retire but don't know if I can. Would like to know what options might be available to me because I have gotten so many different answers. Thanks for any advice I get.

ceilingfan

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Has anyone discussed an MEB possibility with you?

Are your conditions substantially effecting your ability to do your job?

bizzle05

PEB Forum Regular Member
People here have mentioned the MEB process but I always get a vague explanation. Trying to find out on my own as much as I can. My surgeon told me I wouldn't be able to stay in my job due to the fact that I have had both hips replaced. Plus I was told that I don't qualify for WTU. Trying to stay in till I hit my 20 but the help here is very frustrating.

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
It appears to me that there are differences between the different branches. I have found the most help comes from reading every post here and there is a search engine to look for specifics. I'm not expert but I'm thinking you might start looking at the strong possibilty of getting out. I'm AF and even that means little because the timeline varies from every branch of services and how much each person has. If you are ready to look at getting out, start having every problem documented and don't try to hide anything like you would hoping not to get booted to the curb. It varies on the amount of time to get all your problems addresses (mine took 9 months) and then it finally goes to the IPEB. Good luck.

5054 Hip replacement (prosthesis).

Prosthetic replacement of the head of the femur or of the acetabulum:
For 1 year following implantation of prosthesis ....................................... 100
Following implantation of prosthesis with painful motion or
weakness such as to require the use of crutches ............................... 901
Markedly severe residual weakness, pain or limitation of motion
following implantation of prosthesis......................................................... 70
Moderately severe residuals of weakness, pain or limitation of motion.. 50
Minimum rating................................................................................................. 30

Chinook

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Bizzle,

Hey there. sorry to hear of what you've had to go through and what you are going through. You said you want to stay in...what are your options in cross training...you said the surgeon said you might not be able to do your job? So that has nothing to do with deployments?....could you get another job and stay in. I too, am looking at a new hip. The docs said I could stay in (off tdrl) (In the AF you can not go in initially with artificial joint) if it takes care of my pain and radiculopathy. From my research-new hips are better than the ones we came in with...albeit-We are not "suppose" to run because it causes more wear and tear. But, I know people who are running on their hips because they want to LIVE their lives like they always have. So, if you want to stay in...fight it. Most services are the same here...if you are in and get a hip replaced..and you can do your job...NOT the doc saying " I don't think you can do your job" ...um, thats them putting crap in your head....YOU can either do your job and to the standard of others or you can't. What is it? If you can't, CAN you re-train. If you can't retrain, then you may have to be MEB'd. And then as Jeep Freak stated..the above numbers are what you're looking at through VA. MEB'd is NO FUN...I hope you don't have to go this route. I hope you can finish your 20..get your full retirement and still have the VA money coming in because you had the replacements.
In regards to your anxiety and the like, are you getting treatment and do you feel that you are working past this? Make up your mind about what you want out of your life. Talk to your counselors...Be honest with YOURSELF, what do you want to do. What can you physically do right now? You are not alone and we will support you on this forum. Take care. Take it easy. It all works out...It really does.

bizzle05

PEB Forum Regular Member
I really appreciate all the support I have gotten so. As far as my MOS goes I need to change because it requires a lot of heavy lifting, long movements on foot, long runs and so forth. I wish I could go back to doing this as crazy as it sounds. But trying to accomplish this with two hip replacements is going to be very difficult. Now Im dumb enough to try and do it but my wife will probably kick my butt. The other issues I have Im getting treated for it will take time but ill get through it. One of my main concerns is that if the army decides to put me out I won't get any benefits or compensation and I would have 15 years down the drain. But we will see. Thanks again for all the support.

lewisjohn

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Seems like if the minimum rating for a hip replacement is 30% then you would at minimum retire, not sure how they could put it on TDRL as the condition minimum rating is a retirement % rating...i don't know if the IPEB rating has any affect on the VA rating, but you would have a retirement. I am in the same boat except i have already recx my results from the IPEB at discharge with 20% disability rating which means my 15 years are circling the porcelain...lol. I'm hoping to get it overturned and return to duty, if not i want them to adjust my rating to at least 30% and give a retirement. Good luck to you and hang in there.

bizzle05

PEB Forum Regular Member
I was sort of thinking that. Wasn't sure if it would be 30% for both hips or 30% each hip. I'll find out soon enough I guess. I hope that they raise your percentage so you can retire if they won't let you stay in. To do 15 years and to just be let go in my opinion is wrong. Best of luck to you really hope it all works out.