Needing someone's 2 Cents

NAVY SeaBee E-6

Registered Member
Hey guys, this is my first post although I been scrolling this site for quite some time. I know that there is a wealth of valuable information on here, and I wanted to put my info out there to see what you think in terms of possible compensation/benefits that I may be entitled to. First I will post my refereed conditions that were sent to the VA and will give my brief health summary afterwards. Now I know that no one can tell me anything for sure, but still wanted to see what you guys think my ratings would be, give or take. Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone is staying happy and healthy during this time of crisis with COVID-19.

PTSD w/ insomnia - Combat (New)

Cervicalgia (New)

Spinal stenosis lumbar region without neurogenic claudication (New)

Dorsalgia (New)

Bilateral foot (New)

Bilateral ankle (New)

Bilateral hand (New)

Right wrist (New)

Left elbow (bursitis/reduced ROM) (New)

Left knee – (due to reconstructive surgery/reduced ROM) Aggravation (New)

Migraines (New)

Scars (feet, neck, wrist, knee, back) (New)

Tinnitus (New)

ADHD (New)

Bilateral radiculopathy feet (New)

I’ve had 3 back surgeries due to combat related incident (lumbar decompression, thoracic decompression, and cervical fusion, which were all failed surgeries and didn’t resolve the initial issues), a knee surgery, two foot surgeries due to a full collapse of arches, and a wrist surgery to date (all service related and well documented throughout my record. I have persistent migraines (3 to 7 a month), which I’m currently being treated for with Botox infections. I can’t feel either of my feet from my ankle down due to the severity of my back problems, and also have two fingers numb on each hand. Persistent sciatica pains. I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus per C&P exams. I have also been diagnosed with combat related PTSD, major depressive disorder, and panic attacks, and have been in treatment for this for approx. 3 years. I have DDD throuought my spine and degenerative joint disease in both feet and ankles.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Without more information about each contention it would be impossible to provide much of an estimate. Given your failed surgeries an unfit finding is likely.

NAVY SeaBee E-6

Registered Member
Thank you very much for your reply chaplaincharlie. I have already received my unfit findings from the Navy PEB as of 11 March, 2020, and has since gone to the VA for rating. I will do my best to give more detail below.

PTSD w/ insomnia - Combat (New) Explained in my initial post for the most part. I was told by my therapist whom has worked within the VA rating system prior to her being a therapist that I should expect no less than a 50% rating for this alone although it will more likely than not be at 70%.

Cervicalgia (New) Cervical spine has stenosis, had one herniated disc that has since had a fusion, one other herniated disc that didn't receive medical attention, and one bulging disc, with all three levels having tears within them. This causes shooting pains down both arms and numbness in both hands. ROM I believe was 10 degrees combined at C&P exam

Spinal stenosis lumbar region without neurogenic claudication (New) Lumbar and Thoracic spine have consistent stenosis, mild scoliosis, I have 9 vertebral levels that are bulging, torn, or herniated causing constant pain throughout my back, shooting pains down both legs and has led into me not being able to feel either one of my feet from mid-ankle and below. Also I have DDD throughout my spine (Cervical, Lumbar, and Thoracic). ROM was I believe 15 or 20 degrees at C&P exam

Dorsalgia (New)

Bilateral foot (New) Collapsed arches both feet. Only one foot has had surgery up to this point and has received 2 surgeries. I currently has 13 screws, 2 bone staples, and 5 different fusions. Both feet and ankles have DJD, and both feet have absolutely no feeling as explained above.

Bilateral ankle (New) DJD

Bilateral hand (New) lack of feeling or sensations in both pinky and ring fingers due to cervical spine issues

Right wrist (New) I've had a cyst removal and carpal tunnel release surgeries. Slightly reduced ROM although I can't recall the actual degrees.

Left elbow (bursitis/reduced ROM) (New) Has had fluid removed twice but still has residual swelling, and slightly reduced ROM and strength.

Left knee – (due to reconstructive surgery/reduced ROM) Aggravation (New) ACL and minicus repair 2 months post Iraq deployment

Migraines (New) Being treated for by getting Botox injections ever 3 months which only slightly reduces the amount of migraines from 10 to 12 a month to 3-7 a month.

Scars (feet, neck, wrist, knee, back) (New) Scars totaled 29 square inches and are all from surgeries.

Tinnitus (New) explained in initial post but diagnosed with Tinnitus

ADHD (New) I was diagnosed with adult ADHD while active duty and never treated for the condition prior to entering military service.

Bilateral radiculopathy feet (New) Explained above. ROM test was not conducted. Foot with surgery still has very considerable inflammation and swelling, and I have to wear custom arch supports 100% of the time and can't walk barefooted at all

USN_1997

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
ADHD is not a rateable condition. Google military disability made easy and you can answer these questions yourself...

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You have to go through 38 CFR which is gonna be time consuming to see what your limitations are that warrant the correct rating, here is a link.

Scroll down to subpart B

NAVY SeaBee E-6

Registered Member
Well, I just got off of the phone with my PEBLO, and much to my surprise, she informed me that the VA has now completed processing my claim, and sent it to DC to be rated on the Navy side. Very surprising considering the fact that they didn't get any of my paperwork until 11 March. I then asked if she had any info on what my ratings were because I am still not able to see them on E benefits, and her response made my day, week, month, hell even my year. 100% P&T!!!!!! Does anyone happen to know an approximate time frame from this point in my process to getting by DD-214 and actual separation. I am trying to get all of my ducks in a row on the civilian side so the transition isn't so brutal. Thanks in advance guys and thanks for this forum b/c it had been and godsend!

Usndocgreen

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Congratulations and I am also glad to hear something is still going on during the corona shut down.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">