New Army Psychiatric Guidance

brianwl

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
In reading through this, a few things stood out.

1. The Army is working very hard to make it difficult for a diagnosis of PTSD.
2. The Army is basing it's ratings on imparement compared to civilian work, vice compared to the ability to perform military duties.

In my opinion, both are detrimental to the Soldier's needs. In fact, the document at the beginning even goes as far to say words to the effect of trying to find something less than PTSD such as Personality Disorder.

nccountrybumpkin

PEB Forum Regular Member
I cant pull up word documents on my laptop--so when does this start?? like the day they publish them?? Was it mainly on PTSD or all psychiatric conditions. Thanks

Rhonda

brianwl

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
The document stressed PTSD as it's main example, but the guidance is for all Psychiatric conditions.

There is no effective date on the document.

"This paper makes frequent reference to posttraumatic stress disorder. However, the guidance provided is generally applicable to all mental disorders."

"When appropriate, consider personality traits/disorders in your differential diagnosis. If you conclude that the Soldier does, in fact, have a personality disorder (with or without an Axis I diagnosis) discuss the effect of the personality disorder on the Soldier’s current functioning."

While the above quote may seem harmless, I can see where it could be abused very easily by the PEB simply because the examining Psychiatrist is overwhelmed with patients and doesn't get 100% of the documentation done. The Soldier would never know, either.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">