New CRC computation request

Sokoothedude

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm trying to determine if applying for CRSC is beneficial for me or not. As it stands I pay 23% of my retirement to my ex which is around $790/month. My stats are below in the format required.

Gross retired pay from DFAS RAS ---- $3369
DOD Disability --------------------------- 20% (Medically retired)
Total time in service -------------------- 20 years and 10 months
VA Compensation ----------------------- 100% P&T
$3418.21/month
2 children <18yo
$110.31 SMC(K1)
Expecting 100% CRSC Rating
No other retirements eligible for

Thank you so much for the help. Trying to figure out if this juice is worth the squeeze. Couple follow on questions

If approved for CRSC do I have to take it and if I do will I lose my retirement forever?
Is CRSC subject to COLA adjustments like retirement?

Hello
Sokoothedude,

I have a couple of questions...they will be in bold.

DOD Disability --------------------------- 20% (Medically retired) Comment: 20% does not qualify for a medical retirement, It must be 30% or more. This clarification is important as it impacts some of the computation.
Total time in service -------------------- 20 years and 10 months Comment: Is that all active duty time?
$3418.21/month
2 children <18yo
$110.31 SMC(K1)

Ron

Ron, thank you for the fast reply. All of my time was active duty so even though I was medically retired via an MEB/PEB with only 20%, I was over 20 years of service so receiving 50% as I would have if I had retired normally. Hope that answers your questions

Hello Sokoothedude.

Case:

DOD Disability --------------------------- NA for retirement
Total time in service -------------------- 20 years and 10 months All Active duty
$3418.21/month
2 children <18yo
$110.31 SMC(K1)

-----------------------

Estimate (since this is really a regular retirement it is quite simple).

With CRDP:
You will receive all your retired pay from DFAS, 3369 PLUS all your VA compensation.

With CRSC @ 100%:
You will receive CRSC in the amount of what your retired pay had been (3369)
You will also receive all your VA compensation

Note: If your approved CRSC is less than 100%, you likely will lose money by accepting CRSC instead of CRDP.

Ron

Ok, i thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

If approved for CRSC do I have to take it and if I do will I lose my retirement forever?

Ok, i thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

DFAS will automatically pay you the one that involves more money. They will give you the opportunity to change it if you wish.

CRSC has the same COLA increases as retired pay.

CRSC replaces waived retired pay. You can change to CRDP (which is retired pay) each open season in January.

Ron