New to MEB/PEB Process, I have Questions

Jason11b29

PEB Forum Regular Member
Little Background, I'm an 11b3O (9+ years)(Infantryman) in the Army, I have recently been to an MMRB, and was recommended to a MEB/PEB.

Reason for MEB:

Knee Injury: ACL Reconstruction Aug 06, also meniscus repair, since the surgery I've been unable to run for long without getting sharp pains in my knee cap, also slight instability, knee get's sore when standing, sitting to long among other things that aggravate it.

Wrist Injury: TFCC repair, motorcycle accident, my wrist was repaired in Aug 08, was injured on March 08, it took almost 3 months to get into a specialst to get my wrist looked at after going to the emergency room, my off post doc put me in a cast, and that didn't work then had the surgery, however still haveing cronic wrist pain, may need another surgery, going in for ct scan next week.

My guess is I'm going to be found "Un-Fit" for duty, one of my questions is if found unfit for duty and my file goes before the PEB to rate disability do my other medical problems get taken into account, such as lower back pain have been seen for it few times in military career, shoulders, I've had shoulder problems for a few years now but just the other day I had them looked at by my doc, he said my shoulders are degenerating probably ordered x-rays, doc said x-rays would come back up during my physical for MEB, also I have High Blood pressure, and I'm currently on Meds, I've had a couple stress fractures in my legs, and I'm going to be seen by Pysch. for possible PTSD.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Jason11b29,

What you need to strive for is getting all your conditions documented. You are looking for the MEB to find you fail retention standards for all conditions that you seek to have rated. This will help with the PEB a great deal. Your conditions need to be unfitting before you will be rated on them.

I would also look over the forum on Commander's letters. That will help you identify many common issues in documenting your condition.

As far as rating, it is impossible to tell without more info, particularly Range of Motion Limitations and symptoms from PTSD. If found unfit for PTSD, though, the minimum temporary rating is 50% (re-eval no earlier than 6 months later).

Jason,

Should I get a shoulder surgery if needed? or just leave it alone?, and be sure it's in my medical records, also I may need another wrist surgery, do you think I would be wise to get it?

Thanks,

Jason

Should I get a shoulder surgery if needed? or just leave it alone?, and be sure it's in my medical records, also I may need another wrist surgery, do you think I would be wise to get it?

Two separate issues here: medical necessity and impact on your case.

As far as the medical issues, if needed, you should absolutely get it. This is a question for you and your doctors to answer together. However, if you are being boarded for other issues, they may not want to do the surgery on your shoulders. Talk to your doctors and see what they say.

Having surgery may help or hurt your case. On the one hand, if you have it and there is improvement, you may end up with a lower rating or even a fit finding. There is always the possibility that you will have a bad result or a worsening of symptoms or even other damage, particularly nerve damage. This would tend to increase your rating.

The other thing to consider is that if you do have the surgery, it will likely postpone your MEB untill you have recovered enough for them to gauge your prognosis for return to duty based on that condition (though, the knees will still likely cause an MEB, unless you have some improvement). Whether getting these surgeries is even possible will take talking to your doctors as a first step and seeing if they will approve. If they say no, then you may have to look at getting a second opinion and trying to get approval through other routes. Remember, you will have health care from the VA for your service connected injuries (I almost hesitate to say this, as it is sometimes the rationale given for the military not addressing problems when they should; it is however, something to keep in mind).

Best of luck!