New to the forum

Jarhead0724

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading for awhile now. So, I'm scheduled to go under the knife for open knee surgery & arthroscopy. Torn patellar tendon, bone chunks, degenerative cartilage clean up. Was also told I have osteoarthritis as well(wasn't told grade). I will be on LIMDU afterwards, with some PT. everyone I've talked to said that this doesn't get any better. Not gonna lie, I'd be worried about a MEB & getting less than 30%. I'm a 34 year old Marine with 2 combat deployments & 2 MEU deployments, with 14 years in. My peers say that if after the surgery, I'm not getting any better, I should request TKR.

Just wanted to stop by, say hello & introduce myself & where I'm at right now.

Thanks,
Jacob

Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading for awhile now. So, I'm scheduled to go under the knife for open knee surgery & arthroscopy. Torn patellar tendon, bone chunks, degenerative cartilage clean up. Was also told I have osteoarthritis as well(wasn't told grade). I will be on LIMDU afterwards, with some PT. everyone I've talked to said that this doesn't get any better. Not gonna lie, I'd be worried about a MEB & getting less than 30%. I'm a 34 year old Marine with 2 combat deployments & 2 MEU deployments, with 14 years in. My peers say that if after the surgery, I'm not getting any better, I should request TKR.

Just wanted to stop by, say hello & introduce myself & where I'm at right now.

Thanks,
Jacob

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, we appreciate the "check-in" and hope that all goes extremely well with your forthcoming medical surgery.

With that all said, please take care, get well doing recovery from surgery, and most importantly enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Jacob,

Thank you for your service. Hope your surgery gives you enough relief to make it to 20. While there is no cure for OA staying slim and active can help. Hope you have a great Veteran's Day.

Thanks Warrior644 & Chaplaincharlie for your replies. I'm already pretty slim. 69", 195lbs, 12% BF; however, staying active is the hard part with this bum knee. Depending on how this surgery & recovery goes, I may request TERA retirement if it looks like they want to medboard. I can suck it up after surgery until TERA & I'm pretty sure that I'll clear the 50% threshold for VA and CDRP. I'd rather not risk anything with a MEB if all the referred condition would be OA (max 20%).

Thanks Warrior644 & Chaplaincharlie for your replies. I'm already pretty slim. 69", 195lbs, 12% BF; however, staying active is the hard part with this bum knee. Depending on how this surgery & recovery goes, I may request TERA retirement if it looks like they want to medboard. I can suck it up after surgery until TERA & I'm pretty sure that I'll clear the 50% threshold for VA and CDRP. I'd rather not risk anything with a MEB if all the referred condition would be OA (max 20%).

Indeed, you are welcome! :)

As such, we are here to lend assistance especially if a referral & acceptance into the DoD IDES process is potentially warranted at some point in the near future. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Best of luck, Jarhead0724! It sounds like a painful process and I wish you a very speedy recovery.

Best wishes as you prepare for surgery. Hope you get max benefits from the procedure.

Thanks all. Arthroscopy & open knee patellar tendon debridement is scheduled for 1030am tomorrow. Will keep everyone updated!