Newly Diagnosed Actived Duty Air Force Type 1 Diabetic.

Tim_406

Registered Member
All,

I am very new to this whole process as well as being a Type 1 diabetic. As of a few weeks ago, I thought I was healthy young guy with orders to Kunsan AB followed by a couple years in Germany. All of that changed in a matter of seconds when my PCM on base called me on a Friday an hour before a pt test I had scheduled telling me my A1C was 14.6% on my blood test and that I had diabetes. Said doctor told me I will more than likely be medically separated from the Air Force if it comes back type 1 and sure enough a few weeks go by and all the tests determine I am in fact a type 1 diabetic. I have read quite a few threads on this site that are about the process of being either medically discharged and retired. It seems to me that medical retirement is ideal for my case because of the insurance for life which will be great for my insulin dependency. If anyone has any further insight, tips, stories, timelines, etc....on this matter, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance because I know I am not alone in this situation and sharing knowledge in this matter is extremely useful for someone like me who is in the dark.

- Tim

Type I is not solely genetic. I would resist separation and fight for medical retirement.

Tim, greetings, I'm in the same boat. Healthy aviator, 12 years of service. Had a full DKA event, ICU with 850 glucose level, 14.5 A1C, insulin dependent, 5 shots a day, hypoglycemia unawareness, restricted diet, non deployable, non PTable. Pending MEB and the process sometime in the near future. Hoping to continue to 20 but as an alternative, definitely retirement rather than separate.

Same thing happen to my husband. Completely healthy then bam in hospital with his Bs 870. Dx with type 1 and pretty much h sent packing with 20%. I am seeing this more and more. I wonder if any studies have been done with linking type 1 with military men. Maybe cause of the over conditioning? My friends cousin was in his last week of basic when he out of the blue got sick. Dx type 1 he got medical retirement at 80% ‍:mad:

The key for a medical retirement is being awarded a DoD disability of 30% or greater. However, if you don't reach 30%, rest easy that anything that is service connected will still be treated by the VA once you're out of the service...including the medications.

Here are a couple links to research:
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR) Code 7913

I can speak from personal experience on behalf of my husband.
Get the retirement.

Husband diagnosed with IDDM (aka type-1) in 2005; the needs of the AF outweighed his risks for 9 years.

Then, the downsizing occurred. He was suddenly too risky. At 15 years. Separated without retirement.

We sued. Last week, we found out he has been medically retired. This process began 8 years ago.

The two “regulations of activity” that brought him from 20% disability (i.e. discharge) to 40% (i.e. retirement) is that he had been told to do PT at his own pace, and carry his Personal Diabetes Monitor (PDM) on his person at all times. That was it, so look for some sort of regulation of activity, regardless of how meaningless it might seem. I wish you well!

Same thing happen to my husband. Completely healthy then bam in hospital with his Bs 870. Dx with type 1 and pretty much h sent packing with 20%. I am seeing this more and more. I wonder if any studies have been done with linking type 1 with military men. Maybe cause of the over conditioning? My friends cousin was in his last week of basic when he out of the blue got sick. Dx type 1 he got medical retirement at 80% ‍:mad:

I’m convinced it has something to do with deployments. While I’m aware nobody knows the actual cause of type-1, we do know that some are born with some sort of predisposition to get it, and some unknown factor, be it environmental, stress, illness, etc, sets it off.

In my husband’s case, he deployed to Iraq, and had all the telltale signs—extreme thirst, urinating frequently, weight loss, etc., but none of this seemed too unusual since it’s so hot there, of course you sweat and pee a ton, because you’re drinking so much to combat the heat. And most people lose weight while deployed.

I met somebody at the pool. Her husband had a cgm on so we had a chat. Turns out he has three brothers. Two of the four brothers served (one marine, one navy), two did not. Prior to deploying, the marine and sailor both got a bunch of vaccines. They both soon thereafter had type-1. The other two non-service members do not have type-1. Could be circumstantial but I believe it lends credibility to my theory!:)

I was active duty army for 2 years then randomly started feeling sick and got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have been out since 2014 medically seperated at %20 for diabetes. Once i got out i got an additional %10 for tinnitus. the go to the local va once every 2 or 3 months for a1c check and eye checks. free health care and insulin for the rest of my life. I just started fighting for the %40 disability after being out for a while because i started having hypoglycemic episodes at work.

I was active duty army for 2 years then randomly started feeling sick and got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have been out since 2014 medically seperated at %20 for diabetes. Once i got out i got an additional %10 for tinnitus. the go to the local va once every 2 or 3 months for a1c check and eye checks. free health care and insulin for the rest of my life. I just started fighting for the %40 disability after being out for a while because i started having hypoglycemic episodes at work.
I’m sorry to hear about your hypoglycemic episodes. Do you have a continuous glucose monitor? If not I highly recommend you get one, as it warns you when you’re going low.

I think there is a statute of limitations on when you can appeal, but I hope for your sake it’s not too late.

No I do not have one of those. The VA will not provide me with one. They give me a glucose monitor that I use with test straps that they provide. They said that is all they will give me. I'm not sure about a status of limitations but I contacted my vso from my county last week and I asked about a appeal and she said she would submit an increase in disability and Schedule a C and P exam to get re evaluated.

I wish you luck! My advice is to comb your medical record for ANYTHING that can be considered a “restriction of duty,” no matter how small. Restriction of duty is what takes it from 20-40%. FWIW, I think it’s BS that type-1 is only worth 20% on its own.

@aamonroe

Your theory is correct although rare this has already happening to people who got one of the three COVID vaccines I read some counter arguments that this mutation obviously happens in the pancreas with any vaccine you get even the annual flu. Like I said very rare but evidence corroborates it.

My son got the Vaccine 3 weeks ago due to it being mandatory. He was diagnosed yesterday with Type 1 - He was in perfect health and there is no history in the family. He has been in the Marines for just under a year. He is devastated. He has always dreamed of being a Marine.

My son got the Vaccine 3 weeks ago due to it being mandatory. He was diagnosed yesterday with Type 1 - He was in perfect health and there is no history in the family. He has been in the Marines for just under a year. He is devastated. He has always dreamed of being a Marine.
I’m so sorry to hear this news. It is hard to take, my husband can certainly empathize. I hope he is recovering from the shock of the diagnosis. My husband likewise did not have a family history. I wish the best for him and your family during this difficult time:(

All,

I am very new to this whole process as well as being a Type 1 diabetic. As of a few weeks ago, I thought I was healthy young guy with orders to Kunsan AB followed by a couple years in Germany. All of that changed in a matter of seconds when my PCM on base called me on a Friday an hour before a pt test I had scheduled telling me my A1C was 14.6% on my blood test and that I had diabetes. Said doctor told me I will more than likely be medically separated from the Air Force if it comes back type 1 and sure enough a few weeks go by and all the tests determine I am in fact a type 1 diabetic. I have read quite a few threads on this site that are about the process of being either medically discharged and retired. It seems to me that medical retirement is ideal for my case because of the insurance for life which will be great for my insulin dependency. If anyone has any further insight, tips, stories, timelines, etc....on this matter, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance because I know I am not alone in this situation and sharing knowledge in this matter is extremely useful for someone like me who is in the dark.

- Tim
Tim,

How is your case going? I was diagnosed with Type 1 while on active duty 12 years ago. I was medically discharged and not retired. I have been fighting for a medical retirement for some time, unsuccessfully. I am interested in the outcome of your case.

Thank you

I’m convinced it has something to do with deployments. While I’m aware nobody knows the actual cause of type-1, we do know that some are born with some sort of predisposition to get it, and some unknown factor, be it environmental, stress, illness, etc, sets it off.

In my husband’s case, he deployed to Iraq, and had all the telltale signs—extreme thirst, urinating frequently, weight loss, etc., but none of this seemed too unusual since it’s so hot there, of course you sweat and pee a ton, because you’re drinking so much to combat the heat. And most people lose weight while deployed.

I met somebody at the pool. Her husband had a cgm on so we had a chat. Turns out he has three brothers. Two of the four brothers served (one marine, one navy), two did not. Prior to deploying, the marine and sailor both got a bunch of vaccines. They both soon thereafter had type-1. The other two non-service members do not have type-1. Could be circumstantial but I believe it lends credibility to my theory!:)
I will add some validity to your theory. I was deployed to Iraq September 2007- January 2008. I diagnosed with type 1 diabetes October of 2008.