NMA- fit/unfit based on service member choice to "not continue"

fidelis82

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning all

Quick question I as move through the process (MEB at this point). The NMA being submitted with the service member stating- does not want/desire to continue service- how have some seen that play into the fit versus unfit determination? If one were to choose not to continue service, however the Commander wrote a stellar NMA making it seem as though the service member would still be able to do their job, has that been enough (either the "not desire" or CO comment) to sway a decision?

Reason I ask is because I am in the situation where my medication makes me non-deployable, therefore unfit is likely (Humira), however my rank and MOS and Commander's comments could possibly result in a fit determination which would equal staff work, no command, no deployment until 20 years (At just under 15 now). I have quite a few other medical issues I am working through though non are unfitting or the reason for the MEB, I would simply like to move on in life and take care of my health without being essentially "smoothed" into a fit finding as someone may believe its in my best interest.

Long post, appreciate any feedback.

Hey man I’m on remicade and immuran, which makes me non deployable as well I’m a marine on lejeune. My package is at the Peb as of August 30th. And my NMA was sent electronically. I’m not sure if that would cause sway in a fit/unfit decision.

The question is whether you mark- does not want to continue service- on the NMA. Will that automatically equal unfit when the question of being determined unfit comes down to the NMA commander's statement. What is your unfitting condition?

Chronic ulcerative pancolitis, and my commander statement didn’t have that question but I know what you’re talking about. It says like the Marine won’t be judged if he desires to not continue service.

Yes, it states that. Following that I remember it stating whatever it is you choose; so your CO and board understand the full situation. As in your CO writes the NMA in a manner that would provide the board a solid understanding of your ability to perform your duties requisite to your rank and MOS, i.e. the board would find you fit. But, you state a desire to not continue service; those two factors coupled together, when the board may favor a determination where though your condition is unfitting you have the ability to be found fit bc your CO states you can add some value, somewhere, somehow....do they look at the service member desire as the deciding factor? It would seem that the board would only find you fit as an exceptional case, but never make the exception unless the service member desired it. Possibly to get to 20 years or for whatever other reason. Looking for an example or if someone has experience in this situation. Hope your board works out.

No they will look at all of the I for they receive and see how it impacts your ability to perform your duties and if it will ever be cured. For example my Comanders impact stated I don’t have potential for future service, and that my MOS worsens my disease and I can’t perform 95% of my duties because of it. My doctor narrative summary stated, I will require ongoing treatment for the rest of my life and i am non deployable, He also said i won’t be cured within the next 3 years because it is incurable, he said otherwise i can still participate in my daily activities and command activities. and then my personal statement pointed strongly towards how bad it affects my mos and performing my job. So basically the only thing is where my doc said i can still do my job but everything else points towards an unfit. i hear the commander statement has a lot of pull towards a fit/unfit decision. I think more than likely I would be found unfit due to how many things show that they shouldn’t keep me.