NMA

sfxer02

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
In regards to my NMA, I am currently in a billet MOS (Recruiter) not my primary MOS (aircraft mechanic). So when my CO does my NMA he will be speaking on my inability to do my billet MOS. However, with my conditions (severe migraines w/aura, vertigo, dizziness and neurocardiognic syncope)I am not able to even do my primary MOS. Will the MEB/PEB know this because my CO will only be able to speak of the billet MOS I am "trying" to perform now...?

Thanks

Basically what I am asking is my condition has me missing so much work due to the the pain and being stuck in bed so either MOS I am trying to perform I am not able to do, will the line officers on the boards know it doesn't matter what MOS I am currently doing, even though my current CO is writing a NMA on my billet MOS vice my primary MOS?

I am confusing myself...lol

Thanks

You should be boarded against your Primary MOS. In most cases, when you are detailed away from your Primary MOS, you would hope that the Commander would include information relevant to your primary MOS and use observation about your current performance to support.

The PEB is going to Board you against your Primary MOS. So, if you think of the NMA as information used to help the Board come to a decision regarding your fitness to perform your duties, focusing on the current detailed billet is not of much help. Commanders sometimes don't think it through and realize that the purpose of the letter is to assist the Board. When the Commander fails to do this, he or she is making it harder to get a good decision, and makes it incumbent on the Servicemember to provide evidence relevant to his/her MOS. But the Commanders letter in and of itself is not going to make the PEB board you against the billet in which you are detailed to.

The line officers will, however, be able to extrapolate your overall limitations to how it relates to your Primary MOS. In my view, a poor Commander's letter just deprives the PEB of good information. Having a good one can be helpful, but a bad one is not neccesarily disastrous.

Kind of confused me on this one..sorry

This is what I am gathering,

1. The PEB will board me against my primary MOS even though I am in a billet MOS? My NMA should include relavent information too my Primary MOS not just my billet, even though it would be my CO's opinion or guess because he is a Recruiting Command CO not a aviation CO.

2. Either way though, the PEB will be able determine if I am fit/unfit for my primry MOS even though I am currently in a billet MOS?

As far as limitations, I really don't have any limiations other than I miss so much work because of my incapacitating severe migraines, and when I am at work I am a zombie due to the after effects of the drugs and pain I have been in and not much useful for anything.

3.Is being incapacitated and missing work considered a limitation?

I am kind of out of it from all the drugs I am on so sorry for the rambling and confusion.....:eek:

Thanks

Tony,

No problem, this stuff is confusing, probably more so with the meds.

The PEB is supposed to determine if you are fit to reasonably perform the duties of your office, grade, rank, or rating. This has been interpreted to mean your Primary MOS. It does not include details, or specialized duty (for example, in the Army, and infantryman is not unfit simply because he is assigned to an Airborne unit, but is unable to jump out of an airplane).

Your Commander's letter should address your limitations and how it impacts duty performance. However, any conclusions/recommendations about your ability to perform as a recruiter are not helpful. If he includes them, fine, but it is possibly irrelevant to your duties as a crew chief or mechanic on the flight line.

Yes, being incapacitated or missing work excessively are both reasons for unfitness. In your particular case, your limitations would likely apply to almost any MOS, so this may not be an issue. I state this in regard to migraines, but this may not be so for other conditions you may have.

Hope this cleared it up a bit. If not, I am happy to explain again in another way.

Yeah everything makes sense...thanks

Sorry took so long to reply, had a memorial service today and I was completly out of it because of the vicodins I had to take to get out of bed. I havn't been to work in over a week, so i am geussing my hopes of finding a fit finding is gonna be a longshot...life must go on I geuss

Tony,

I assume you are talking about your friends father. Sorry for the loss.

It can be tough getting out. It is a huge change and while a lot of different options open up, like any change it can be tough.

Hope the migraines aren't too bad.

Tony,
I have nothing to add in the way of advice or anything, but I did want to offer my condolences and best wishes that things will improve for you and your family. My wife suffers from migranes (although she has had great success with Topamax) and I can only imagine what you're going through. I was a recruiter not to long ago also, so I feel your pain in that respect as well. Hang in there brother. For what its worth, we are here to help man!

Shamus

Thank you.....

Yeah migraines are getting the best of me, but hopefully they will get better in the future. Topomax made me feel worse, I wish I was able to find a medicine to work...Recruiting is not fun as already know. They took me off the hook and "when" I am able to work I just go to headquarters and sit there. Just waiting for the end of the month to go see the military neurologist, and since I have been seeing a civilian neuro for the past 6-months with more medicine changes than I can remember with none of them working, I am assuming he will send me to a MEB, especially after he sees I was already on limited duty for 8 months for this condition and the amount of migraines I am having and amount of work I miss....

Thanks again to both of you..