NMCP PEB Timeline Major Depressive Disorder

etrauschs

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I just thought I would start a thread of my timeline as I haven't seen too many timelines for mental health issues.

My referred condition is Major Depressive Disorder - recurrent EPTS SA. I also have about half a dozen other claims. Nothing of much significance and nothing life threatening.

16JUN12 - First Limdu

16DEC12 - Second Limdu

22JUN12 - Refered to MEB

03JUL12 - MSC appointment VA claims filed

13JUL12 - VA exams, physical and mental health

03AUG12 - Signed package and received copy of C & P exam and dictation. (I had previously requested a copy of the dictation to have the JAG review it but was told I could not because it was a draft)

waiting...

Hopefully my timeline is as short as some of the others on here and I will have more to update within the next month or two. If anyone has any questions about my med board process thus far or limdu feel free to post or message me.

Mine took nearly a year from when the doctor placed me on code 37. I was informed by my doctor on 16 Jul 11 and recieved my rating on 30 July 12.

16JUN12 - First Limdu
16DEC12 - Second Limdu
22JUN12 - Refered to MEB
03AUG12 - Signed package
21AUG12 - Notified by PEBLO found Unfit, Ebenefits still says Review of Evidence

I got the call today from my PEBLO that I was found unfit. I was told my case would be sent to the VA today so that may be why ebenefits has not updated. Hopefully the rating phase will go just as quickly as PEB's initial findings did.

Just in case anyone is interested my GAF was 65 at the C&P exam and the examiner rated me at the 10% level "E. If not A, B, C, or D, are there mental disorder signs and symptoms that are transient or mild and deecrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress." So even with a fairly low rating on my C&P I was still unfit. This is a recurrent episode though which may have had an affect on the decision.

I just got off the phone with the VA and was told my case is in Providence but they are waiting on a copy of my DD-214. Has anyone else been told that or have an idea what that could mean? It seems to me that would mean the rating is done but I have no idea.

16JUN12 - First Limdu
16DEC12 - Second Limdu
22JUN12 - Refered to MEB
03AUG12 - Signed package
21AUG12 - Notified by PEBLO found Unfit, Ebenefits still says Review of Evidence
10SEP12 - Findings came back, 10% w/ severance for Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent, moderate
20SEP12 - Signed forms for rating reconsideration

In accordance with the advice from the JAG officer the only new evidence I submitted with my rating reconsideration was a letter from my psychiatrist stating my current condition and social/occupational impairment. The letter is fantastic and clearly warrants at least 30% but I am not sure how this will be weighted compared to the C & P exam results which painted a different picture. Hoping for 30 PDRL but only expected TDRL.

Darn thats quick. You have the fastest process I have seen on the site, and I have been on it for a while. My PEB was submitted for PTSD, Diagnosed by 3 doctors and went to a Mental Facility for treatment. I received a copy of my C&P exam results and the Psych doctor rated my extreme on Depression, Anxiety, etc. So I hope I get a good %, and my other PEB issue is Crohns and I have had it for almost 4 years. My VA case is for over 20 items, a few being big ones. I hope they take care of us and I could only pray to go as fast as you. God bless you guys and take care. Active Bud.

I received an email from the VA stating that Providence is averaging 28 days to rate cases. I hope you get more, you just dont know, it can go both ways on your reconsideration. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

My case definitely has gone alot faster than I expected. My only thoughts are that I didn't have too many other conditions and that my referred condition did exist prior to service so with it now being diagnosed as recurrent it may have made it an easier decision. As far as the recondition I figured there isn't much room for me to go down so hopefully things can only get better. Good luck with your case kiefer.

My case definitely has gone alot faster than I expected. My only thoughts are that I didn't have too many other conditions and that my referred condition did exist prior to service so with it now being diagnosed as recurrent it may have made it an easier decision. As far as the recondition I figured there isn't much room for me to go down so hopefully things can only get better. Good luck with your case kiefer.
Etrauchs,

Did your lawyer think that since it was EPTS w/ SA it would hurt your case at all? Also how did that get worded in your NARSUM? I have a similar issue and I want to make sure that everything is recorded properly so it doesn't affect my outcome.

My jag felt that EPTS wouldn't hurt my case at all but putting as much emphasis on the SA part would be helpful. My biggest fear was that my findings would come back 0% because it was EPTS so I was ecstatic when I saw 10 (initially anyways lol). On my MEB cover sheet I have diagnosis as MDD, recurrent episode, moderate degree. The next block is EPTE(Origin) and nothing is check. The Narsum clearly states that it did though even so far as to outline my previous episode. There are really no details in it as to service aggravation so I may have gotten lucky or maybe the board really isn't too concerned about EPTS when it comes to depression. The narsum gives very little opinion or recommendations. It is really just a chronological report of symptoms and treatment.

When I first discussed the narsum with the lawyer he did say that detailing how the condition was aggravated would be important but also after reviewing mine didn't make an suggestions to have it changed. Maybe if it were more clearly SA I would have gotten a higher rating to begin with.

I feel like what I just typed in a mess so to summarize, there really is nothing in my narsum about my condition being SA and as long as you were in good health (or at least not afflicted by the referred condition) at the time you enlisted the EPTS shouldn't be a problem.

Etrauschs,

Thanks for the reply. In my NARSUM I just felt as though it didn't say aggravated by service enough or that it was spelled out clearly enough. So I had my lawyer write a memo as "views on my own behalf" and had him find in my records a couple instances where it clearly said aggravated by service just to make sure they got the message. He didn't think that it would need much more than that. Lets hope that is the case because I don't want to have to deal with the appeal process.

16JUN12 - First Limdu
16DEC12 - Second Limdu
22JUN12 - Refered to MEB
03AUG12 - Signed package
10SEP12 - Findings came back, 10% w/ severance for Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent, moderate
20SEP12 - Signed forms for rating reconsideration
01NOV12 - Case finalized. 30% TDRL

Well this process is almost over now to wait for the separation orders. Has anyone received their's recently and have an idea of how long it may take?

Takes anywhere from a month or two to get your separation orders. Glad to see someone got a good outcome. You really got lucky bud, take the money and run. What did the VA give you and when do you have to be reevaluated. My PEB was submitted for Chron's Disease and PTSD. My PTSD was diagnosed by the Military, Civilians, and the VA doc diagnosed me as Severe PTSD, Anxiety, OCD, Depression, and Insomnia. I hope that with all that I get good %s. God bless and keep us updated bud. This process gives a whole new meaning to the words "Trials and Tribulations" thats for sure. God bless everyone on here and in the famous words of Colonel Potter from MASH "MAY WE ALL BE HOME BY CHRISTMAS"

etrauschs, did you get one physical or two? I"m having MDD and I had an interview with a physician at VA, but my unit scheduled me another "separation physical" in the hospital on post AFTER i'm finished with VA doc, and I had my blood work and UA tested. Did you have to go through two different physicals?