NMCP Portsmouth PEB for Herniated L5-S1

bigandy1127

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Trying to be patient...but mainly posting this for others to see what is going on and what to expect.

Aug 09 - Arthroscopic Surgery of Right knee
Nov 09 - Secondary injury discovered / herniated disc L5-S1
Nov 09 - Dec 11 - Physical Therapy, Injections, Chiropractor
Jan 12 - Placed on LIMDU
June 12 - MED board
July 12 - Referred to PEB
August 12 - VA Physical / VA Psychiatric evaluation
Oct 12 - PEB sent to Washington
Dec 5 - PEB found unfit
Dec 7 - VA received claim / PEB package
Feb 14 - Contacted PEB for assistance with contacting VA. PEB returned informing me I should receive findings first week of March. Ebenefits still says "Reviewing Evidence"
Feb 22 - Ebenefits updated to "Pending Decision Approval"

Hoping to have my results within the Next two weeks.

Conditions claimed to VA:

LS5-S1 HERNIATED DISC
MOOD DISORDER DUE TO CHRONIC PAIN
HERNIATED LUMBAR DISC WITHOUT MYELOPATHY
LUMBAGO
ADJUSTMENT DISORDER
DEPRESSION
RIGHT KNEE POST ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY
PERSONALITY DISORDER
SLEEP DISORDER / RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME
ALCOHOLISM (Attended SARP Level 1)

Conditions needing to be added

THYROID DISEASE
IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
CHRONIC MIGRAINE HEADACHES
TINNITIS

Trying to be patient...but mainly posting this for others to see what is going on and what to expect.

Jan 12 - Placed on LIMDU
June 12 - MED board
Dec 5 - PEB found unfit
Feb 14 - Contacted PEB for assistance with contacting VA. PEB returned informing me I should receive findings first week of March. Ebenefits still says "Reviewing Evidence"

Hoping to have my results within the Next two weeks.

Conditions claimed to VA:

LS5-S1 HERNIATED DISC
MOOD DISORDER DUE TO CHRONIC PAIN
HERNIATED LUMBAR DISC WITHOUT MYELOPATHY
LUMBAGO
ADJUSTMENT DISORDER
DEPRESSION
RIGHT KNEE POST ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY
PERSONALITY DISORDER
SLEEP DISORDER / RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME
ALCOHOLISM (Attended SARP Level 1)

Conditions needing to be added

THYROID DISEASE
IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
CHRONIC MIGRAINE HEADACHES
TINNITIS
Seems like initially with you meb and getting to the peb went slow

Ebenefits still says "Awaiting Decision Approval"...How long should I expect it to sit like this? DC has some people that are helpful, and some people that arent. I was told a few weeks ago that I should receive my findings this week...however, I havent. I talked to my PEBLO and she told me that the VA still has it.

I am trying to plan my life around this, and I know that as soon as I sign my findings, I wont have but a few weeks left to get my s%^& together and move...I have a lot to do, but no timeline to work with...I am getting frustrated.

How did you find out that you were found unfit and that the VA received your claim. I am waiting on that piece right now and just trying to get an idea.

ebenefits was my first clue. I logged on to ebenefits and viewed my status to find out that they were processing my claim. If I would have been found fit, VA wouldnt have been processing a claim, because they wouldnt have received one to process...and then I called PEB at Washington Yard and asked them for the status of my claim.

update

So, apparently, I have pissed of PEB in Washington, and they called my Peblo in Portsmouth, cause I got chewed out over the phone by the Chief about contacting Washington instead of him. My whole thing is this...

VA tells me that they made a proposed finding on 22 Feb 2013 and sent it back to the PEB on 23 Feb 2013...WHERE IS IT AT???

I had called and talked to VA and that is what they had told me. I then called and talked to Washington PEB, and the Colonel there told me that they had never recieved it and my name was on a list that had been sent back to the VA inquiring as to the status of my package. This conversation was on Monday, 18 MAR 2013. On Wednesday, 20 MAR 2013, I called Washington again to see if they had heard anything, and the same Colonel I had talked to on Monday began chewing my ass about utilizing my PEBLO...and pretty much hung up on me. So, then I proceeded to call my PEBLO, in which one of them picked up the phone, took down some info and said she would look into it. A few minutes later, the other Chief there calls me chewing my ass asking why I am telling Washington that my PEBLO is useless. Uh, I am sorry, I never said this, but now that you bring it up...

He says,"When I get your package, I will let you know." Then he hangs up on me. WTF do I do now? I have a job offer that I want to act on, but I need a date to give them for a tentative start date, and I have NOTHING to start with because for some reason, the communication chain between my PEBLO, Washington, and VA is all jacked up. I want to call and check again, but I am affraid of rubbing to many people the wrong way and prolonging this whole process.

You do what you've got to do. But, keep in mind that there are some things you may not be able to change or force. I'm sure the Chief was just pissed and he will get over it. Don't sweat it too much as far as worrying about pissing them off. I don't imagine they want to keep you or anyone else round any longer then needed, especially if you did piss them off.

I talked to the PEBLO again yesterday...cleared everything up. He called the VA and then called me back. Told me the VA still has it and is awaiting Supervisor signature. What the hell is taking so long to get a supervisor signature? It sounds like they need to spread out the supervisors duties a little bit if they cant process them fast enough...

Glad everything is cleared up.

now I just got off the phone with the VA...they tell me that they cant finalize my claim without a DD-214. I explain to them I dont have one. They are trying to tell me that I should have got one when I separated from the service, and I explain to them that I am still active duty and I am awaiting my proposed raitings from them so that I can get them from my peblo so that I CAN separate from the service and get my DD-214...she was like "OH..." So, she sent an email to the IDES officer in the VA requesting the proposed ratings be forwarded to PEB in Washington for processing. Hopefully this works. fingers crossed

now I just got off the phone with the VA...they tell me that they cant finalize my claim without a DD-214. I explain to them I dont have one. They are trying to tell me that I should have got one when I separated from the service, and I explain to them that I am still active duty and I am awaiting my proposed raitings from them so that I can get them from my peblo so that I CAN separate from the service and get my DD-214...she was like "OH..." So, she sent an email to the IDES officer in the VA requesting the proposed ratings be forwarded to PEB in Washington for processing. Hopefully this works. fingers crossed

Any updates as to the status of your DoD IDES MEB/PEB case file; different branch of service but similar situation?

Best Wishes!

Well, after calling and talking to multiple people at the VA, someone there finally advised me to call my MSC. So, I did. He proceeded to tell me that he can see my case in the system before the peblo's can...and told me my ratings were in there. Then he told me "Im not supposed to tell you this, but you have 10% DOD 40% VA." He couldnt give me a timeline as to when my peblo would be contacting me though, but he was able to confirm that the VA had made a decision, and that I should be getting my ratings momentarily. So now, should I call my PEBLO and indirectly ask him how I know my ratings and he doesnt, or just wait...cause I have to get the ball rolling. I have a job waiting for me on the outside, and I need to get moved ASAP...

Well, after calling and talking to multiple people at the VA, someone there finally advised me to call my MSC. So, I did. He proceeded to tell me that he can see my case in the system before the peblo's can...and told me my ratings were in there. Then he told me "Im not supposed to tell you this, but you have 10% DOD 40% VA." He couldnt give me a timeline as to when my peblo would be contacting me though, but he was able to confirm that the VA had made a decision, and that I should be getting my ratings momentarily. So now, should I call my PEBLO and indirectly ask him how I know my ratings and he doesnt, or just wait...cause I have to get the ball rolling. I have a job waiting for me on the outside, and I need to get moved ASAP...

Congratulations on the unofficial receipt of your DoVA proposed ratings! :) Appreciate the update; it's very helpful.

In response to your questions, it's ultimately your decision if you want to do that. But, I would offer that you asked yourself the question, "what is truly being accomplished from doing this action?" If your PEBLO doesn't have access to the VTA as stated by your MSC, then he/she will not see the DoVA proposed ratings at this point in time. The PEBLO will have to wait until the DoVA ratings are uploaded into the ePEB system by the PEB administrator.

That all said, all you can potentially do at this point is to remain positively proactive and stay the course throughout your interactions while trying to secure the best solution for yourself and your loved ones.

Best Wishes!

Understand that all your ratings are proposed until you separate from the Navy. I have been out since Jan 31st. I just received the update on my Ebenefits that my ratings are finally done with the exception of one thing they are going to reevaluate. My stuff in the mail now. You just have to be patient.

UPDATE: PEBLO called me yesterday and said my ratings are in. I have an appointment tomorrow at 1130 to go review and sign...and I am hoping they ask me the "how soon do you want to get out" question...I have a job to start in Texas...and I gotta go. HA!

Jan 12 - Placed on LIMDU
June 12 - MED board
Dec 5 - PEB found unfit
09APR2013 - PEBLO CALLS WITH NOTIFICATION THAT FINDINGS ARE IN...SETS APPOINTMENT FOR MEETING FOR REVIEW

Outstanding wish you the best I can only hope I am soon, the suspense is killing me.

UPDATE: PEBLO called me yesterday and said my ratings are in. I have an appointment tomorrow at 1130 to go review and sign...and I am hoping they ask me the "how soon do you want to get out" question...I have a job to start in Texas...and I gotta go. HA!

Jan 12 - Placed on LIMDU
June 12 - MED board
Dec 5 - PEB found unfit
09APR2013 - PEBLO CALLS WITH NOTIFICATION THAT FINDINGS ARE IN...SETS APPOINTMENT FOR MEETING FOR REVIEW

Good deal, and remember to ask plenty of questions if something is unclear during the appointment with your PEBLO.

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!

Any news :)

Jan 12 - Placed on LIMDU
June 12 - MED board
Dec 5 - PEB found unfit

Signed my findings on Friday... 10% DOD / 40% VA ... I could have appealed the DOD percentage, but I don't have time for that...I have a job waiting for me, and need to get out of here. I have a few thing I'm going to add to my Va claim during my Exit interview with Mr Hughes...but other than that, I'm ready to go. Waiting for PERS to issue my separation orders. I requested a separation date of May 31st

Signed my findings on Friday... 10% DOD / 40% VA ... I could have appealed the DOD percentage, but I don't have time for that...I have a job waiting for me, and need to get out of here. I have a few thing I'm going to add to my Va claim during my Exit interview with Mr Hughes...but other than that, I'm ready to go. Waiting for PERS to issue my separation orders. I requested a separation date of May 31st

Well, ok and congratulations! :)

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!