No reevaluation while on 5 year TDRL, still receiving benefits

t.gregory

Registered Member
I separated in October 2014 and was placed on TDRL 20% DOD and 80% VA. I was under the impression that I was supposed to get a reevaluation during the next 5 years. After searching this site, most have received an evaluation at least one time during their 5 year TDRL. I have also read that some have missed their appointments and their VA pay was stopped. I am coming up on my 5 year mark in October and have not received a single notification for a reevaluation. I receive emails from the VA and a occasional letter or two here and there. I know my contact information is updated on ebenefits. I am still receiving my VA compensation so I know I have not missed an appointment or other form of reevaluation. Have I slipped through the cracks somehow? I would think that if I needed an evaluation they would have either scheduled one or terminated my benefits by now. Since no reevaluation has been done, could I assume they don't need one and be transferred to PDRL? Thank you for any advice on this matter.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I separated in October 2014 and was placed on TDRL 20% DOD and 80% VA. I was under the impression that I was supposed to get a reevaluation during the next 5 years. After searching this site, most have received an evaluation at least one time during their 5 year TDRL. I have also read that some have missed their appointments and their VA pay was stopped. I am coming up on my 5 year mark in October and have not received a single notification for a reevaluation. I receive emails from the VA and a occasional letter or two here and there. I know my contact information is updated on ebenefits. I am still receiving my VA compensation so I know I have not missed an appointment or other form of reevaluation. Have I slipped through the cracks somehow? I would think that if I needed an evaluation they would have either scheduled one or terminated my benefits by now. Since no reevaluation has been done, could I assume they don't need one and be transferred to PDRL? Thank you for any advice on this matter.
Being on the TDRL results in a minimum 50% DoD rating for the time spent on the TDRL. Your retired pay would be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation, which often results in zero net retired pay.

A DoD rating of 30% or more is required for a PDRL.
You might look through the documents given to you at the time you left the DoD and determine what guidance they include. Others will likely contribute to this discussioon.

Good luck,
Ron

edited to add:
See telephone number in following post.

Last edited:

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
General TDRL info...from Army Human Resources Command.

[Recommend you call 1-855-863-0426 (toll free) if Army

How long can I stay on TDRL?
Answer:
Three years (if placed on date is after 1 January 2017). Five years (if placed on date is prior to 31 December 2016). In accordance with the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2017, tenure for Soldiers placed on TDRL beginning January 1, 2017 is three years. Soldiers placed on prior to this date are grandfathered and will remain at the five year tenure. The law requires that a final determination be made before the third or fifth anniversary of placement on the TDRL. However, you may be removed from the TDRL at an earlier date whenever a periodic examination discloses that your medical condition has stabilized for rating purposes. The law also directs the termination of Army retired pay and all retiree benefits if a final determination is not made at the end of the three or five years. This cannot be waived.

Question: What if I change my mailing address while I am on the TDRL?

Answer:
You are required to keep USAPDA advised of changes in your address and other contact information (phone, email). It is important that you do so in order for contact to be made promptly when being scheduled for your periodic physical examination and for timely notification of your final Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) determination. You will receive a notification letter and other pertinent information three (3) months prior to each scheduled examination as annotated in Section 2 of the DA Form 199 (PEB Proceedings). You should promptly notify us by letter, email, or telephone whenever there is a change to your mailing address. Failure to keep the Physical Disability Agency informed of any address changes could jeopardize your entitlement to disability retirement benefits. Send change of address information to U.S. Army Physical Agency, ATTN: TDRL Branch, 2530 Crystal Drive, Arlington, Virginia 22202. You may contact us by phone at 1-855-863-0426 (toll free) or email at: [email protected].

Ron

t.gregory

Registered Member
Ok, I think I have a misunderstanding of my acronyms. I was separated for one DOD condition at 20%. The VA was for many more conditions which totaled 80%. The conditions are not considered permanent but temporary so I assumed it was TDRL. I am not sure what I would be labeled as then. Does this mean the 5 year period of evaluation still applies? I remember reading (5 years ago) in my paperwork that I could be up for reevaluation. I apologize for the misdirection.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Ok, I think I have a misunderstanding of my acronyms. I was separated for one DOD condition at 20%. The VA was for many more conditions which totaled 80%. The conditions are not considered permanent but temporary so I assumed it was TDRL. I am not sure what I would be labeled as then. Does this mean the 5 year period of evaluation still applies? I remember reading (5 years ago) in my paperwork that I could be up for reevaluation. I apologize for the misdirection.
The VA does reevaluate conditions periodically, but I am unaware of a 5-year rule.

I have received VA compensation since 2005 and the only time I had a reevaluation was after a temporary rating 100% for prostate cancer. I had/have several other service-connected disabilities that have not been reevaluated.

I am now 100% T&P...

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Glad to assist...

Good luck,
Ron

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You are mixing too much VA and DoD ratings. What is your DoD rating? The VA stuff is confusing and doesn't even apply with tdrl/pdrl decisions. Is your address updated with HRC? Can you long into milconnect? Sometimes they can do extensions but only if they have updated contact info on you and are behind on exams.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You are mixing too much VA and DoD ratings. What is your DoD rating? The VA stuff is confusing and doesn't even apply with tdrl/pdrl decisions. Is your address updated with HRC? Can you long into milconnect? Sometimes they can do extensions but only if they have updated contact info on you and are behind on exams.
He clarified earlier with:

“Ok, I think I have a misunderstanding of my acronyms. I was separated for one DOD condition at 20%. The VA was for many more conditions which totaled 80%. The conditions are not considered permanent but temporary so I assumed it was TDRL. I am not sure what I would be labeled as then. Does this mean the 5 year period of evaluation still applies? I remember reading (5 years ago) in my paperwork that I could be up for reevaluation. I apologize for the misdirection.”

He is not on the TDRL.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">