Non duty vs duty related medical separation

Ullose272

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
How do the processes differ when one has non duty vs duty related separation?

Non - duty they are saying your medical condition is unfitting but not the military's fault vs duty they are saying it was causes or aggravated by the military and wasn't due to misconduct on your behalf. Duty related you get benefits vs Non duty you normaly don't get benifits

Non - duty they are saying your medical condition is unfitting but not the military's fault vs duty they are saying it was causes or aggravated by the military and wasn't due to misconduct on your behalf. Duty related you get benefits vs Non duty you normaly don't get benifits
Right, but do they both go through meb/peb? Or only when there is service connection

That's where it gets tricky.

No matter what the military medical should at least review your conditions and at least do a fit or unfit determination and give you the chance to appeal.

Are you talking about guard, reserve or active duty?

Do you have any LODs ? From the guard

Are you Army or Airforce?

The guard is really screwed up and normally will try to get rid for you without going through the correct process. They don't have alot of Doctor or full time people that really know the process.

Do you have any LODs ? From the guard

Are you Army or Airforce?

The guard is really screwed up and normally will try to get rid for you without going through the correct process. They don't have alot of Doctor or full time people that really know the process.
I do have an lod for my shoulder, but that likely wont be the unfit condition

Having any LOD is a great thing. Its really hard to go through the MEB in the guard. You need to get smart on the process and if they don't want to help you out dont be afraid to file an IG or congressional complaint.

If you are guard you can just go apply for VA disability benefits at any time.

@Ullose272 - Background and conditions would be helpful to give you an accurate way forward.... I had conditions that happened while I was AGR, and the command decided I needed to be a DSG.... and then tried to process me out for a non-duty MEB... IG, Congressional, Wing commander.... don't let yourself get cheated.... read though my rants I guess you would call them... if you even have the slightest thought your unit is playing a game... FIGHT!!!!!

@Ullose272 - Background and conditions would be helpful to give you an accurate way forward.... I had conditions that happened while I was AGR, and the command decided I needed to be a DSG.... and then tried to process me out for a non-duty MEB... IG, Congressional, Wing commander.... don't let yourself get cheated.... read though my rants I guess you would call them... if you even have the slightest thought your unit is playing a game... FIGHT!!!!!
I have a shoulder that hasnt really recovered from surgury that was 21 Mar 2019. Still can do more than 15 pushups or lift mor than about 20 lbs overhead. That is my LOD.

I have been diagnosed with wolff Parkinson's white and had an ablation, i was having PSVT events and shortness of breath. Shortness of breath continued after ablation and was then diagnosed with OSA and in process of being diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. Then 4 month post ablation i had another PSVT event and now im on metoprolol for heart rythem. Id be suprised if any of this is service related.
This last drill i was told all my stuff was going to the DAWG and everything would probably go to NGB

Ullose,

Do you have any active duty time?

if the shoulder is still giving you problems that should be part of your MEB. As long as you get over a 30% DOD rating you get retired and collect right away.

The wolff Parkinson's white might be hard to service connect. if you had high blood pressure or complaints of chest pain or shortness or breath or other symptoms of your condition on an active status you has a better chance of getting it service connected.

Just remember you are your best advocate.

What I did was get several color coded folders and go through you entire military medical record and have a folder for shoulder and put anything that has to do with you shoulder in in. then get a folder for your wolff Parkinson's white and go through your record and look for anything that has to do with that condition. then any other conditions. then if you go through a full MEB or when you file for VA the personal looking at it doesn't have to sort through tons of information.