NonMedical Assessment Weights

emstevens93

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good morning all,

About two weeks ago, my provider put in for me to be med boarded. It's only my first LIMDU, but due to the diagnosis, he recommends med board and separation.
My question is, my Chief is filling out my NonMedical Assessment...How much weight does this assessment really hold? Does my "yes or no" answer as to my wishes to stay in or not....Does it really matter what I say, or will they likely disregard it completely?
I'm already being sent to TGPS/TAP as well as other "preparation for separation" type classes and appointments, even though I haven't even gotten any word beyond "hey here's the paperwork, we're submitting it now" from Force Health. I'm really having trouble deciding on what my answer should be on this form, and I'm worried about how much weight it will really carry. If it matters, the diagnosis was Bipolar and General Anxiety Disorders.

Put what it is that you feel would be best for you, it's my understanding that NMA is pretty important, specifically what your command writes about your limitations in your job field (not the billet you're currently filling but your actual Military Occupation). I fought back in forth for a while and put that I wanted to separate, because I know that even if I stay in I won't be able to advance in my career, and I would rather get out and start on something new than ride out my contract and then start something new. If you truly want to stay in, that will be taken into consideration by the board, but ultimately what are you going to lose saying you do or don't want to stay in? The only thing you can do is be honest with your responses.

Thanks so much for the quick response! I don't know if my chain will put anything limiting for my career field...So far my Bipolar and Anxiety haven't really affected my work. But that's because I typically stick things in the back of my mind and put on a good face in the workplace. I'm nervous that the NMA is going to limit the amount of disability I get if I *do* say no I want to get out. I'm overall just really freaking about this whole situation.

With me I put that I requested to stay active duty. My command put that I was a great worker but due to my injury it severely limited my ability to do my job. If I were to guess there is some weight put on what the command has to say about it. Most people write up the NMA and then have the COC sign it.

I have seen folks ask to be separated and the NMA stated that the injury impacted their work performance and were still found fit for continued service. I understand their may be some weight placed on the NMA, but the final determination does not always seem to fit the input.

It matters. The most important thing you can do is decide what you want and play that card throughout the process.

Safe side yes, then in between no, talk to chaplain if u decide to get out since your situation is all mental you can play the cards right.

Forgot this thread existed! Sorry y'all to whom I didn't respond. But thank you manfrommindanao, your reply reminded me I never updated anyone.
But first, I am definitely confused by your response, manfrommindanao. Not sure what you meant by..well honestly any of it, my apologies.
As for everyone else, I do appreciate the feedback for sure. Though the process had a lot of twists and turns, I was medically discharged on 29May2018. I received a rating of 20% from the DoD, and 100% combined from the VA.
Thanks y'all!