not important just venting

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If you dare to read through this, any kind words are welcome, been a "day"

Ok, so last week 4 days bed rest, 5 in dec., 3-4 in Nov., etc. Physical therapy was working but just slowly, so they denied my request to continue as they say i had "plateau'd" again. Had nerves burned in head in dec. steroid pills in nov., steroid injections in c-spine and hip bursa in Dec., now today I had steroid/blocks put in lumbar facets, got sick on the table as the pain was intense. Go to get my butrans patch from pharmacy, they were out and did not bother telling my wife until she had been there for 2 hours waiting. The patch lasts 7-days and when it wears off, it is not a "slope" it is a cliff. today was day 7, and because of laws you cannot get a script for it without a visit, and visits must be every thirty days etc etc. bottom line, there is a 2 day window where i can get the patch replaced every thirty days. So now I am popping lortab like gummy bears and wrapped in ice and took sleeping pills an hour ago to hopefully sleep through until WORK TOMORROW, yup, no quarters or work pass for day after injections. So my choice is either Emergency room, thens till have to show up to work to turn in paperwork to hospital or whatever, or pray my wife can get up with me, follow me out the door, go get my script, drive the 25 miles to my work to give me my patch.

So with all that, I started looking at the PCS awaiting orders or home awating discharge regs, the way they are written right now, it is impossible to get this approved in the AF. You do not get an unfit memo that you can contest or not until after you get percentages, then its 30-90 until your out if everything is right, and if its wrong and your on PAO, you cannot fight it. Also you all ready have to be on extended active duty, so you would have to be past your EAS and have a recommendation back from the PEB.

SO by time one has ratings, has accepted or requested a FPEB, one is general in the last 30-90 days of their career, and have to oputprocess/attend tap, go to finance/mpf 400 times to fix their mistakes etc. so what would the point be. My docs/nurses/PA/NP's all know I hurt, they are gracious with a 4 hour duty day profile, and a list of "no's" that would make the laziest person swoon with joy, but that is not enough.

I get up, I medicate with half a lortab and an aleeve or motrin, drive 25 miles to work, park in the handicap spot, which is exactly .24 miles from my desk, it takes me 6-7 minutes on a "good day", i take the other half lortab, a lyrica, and sometimes a muscle relaxers dependant on spasms. I drool on a desk for 3-4 hours between smoke breaks, and if I feel safe I drive home. I take another lortab/lyrica/muscl relaxer/NSAID etc. take a hot bath or shower while wife makes me lunch, eat. grab my heating PADS or ice PACKS, based on type of pain that day wrap them around my hips/pelvis and go to sleep for 2-3 hours. Then I sit here or on the couch until its time for dinner and more pills and sleep, during which I will wake up 3-4 times religiously to pee, and if I do not wake up, I still pee.

It is getting harder and harder to put on my normal happy face, I am being snarky to folks here that I am legitimately trying to help and for that I apologize. I am just sickened right now that there are programs out there intended to help "us" but they are so vague in wording, application and so under utilized no one has any advice on it, and even if they did, the regulation is written and still in place from the "legacy" DES system. So tomorrow, I will wake up, medicate and put on a fake smile, go in to work try to make a difference helping my troops that are in the MEB process or the SIX from work center/28 in Squadron that got ID'd for early sep. blah, im tired of it.

AmyGallay

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Make sure you get the bed rest prescribed by your doctor and keep copies.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member

Ok, so last week 4 days bed rest, 5 in dec., 3-4 in Nov., etc. Physical therapy was working but just slowly, so they denied my request to continue as they say i had "plateau'd" again. Had nerves burned in head in dec. steroid pills in nov., steroid injections in c-spine and hip bursa in Dec., now today I had steroid/blocks put in lumbar facets, got sick on the table as the pain was intense. Go to get my butrans patch from pharmacy, they were out and did not bother telling my wife until she had been there for 2 hours waiting. The patch lasts 7-days and when it wears off, it is not a "slope" it is a cliff. today was day 7, and because of laws you cannot get a script for it without a visit, and visits must be every thirty days etc etc. bottom line, there is a 2 day window where i can get the patch replaced every thirty days. So now I am popping lortab like gummy bears and wrapped in ice and took sleeping pills an hour ago to hopefully sleep through until WORK TOMORROW, yup, no quarters or work pass for day after injections. So my choice is either Emergency room, thens till have to show up to work to turn in paperwork to hospital or whatever, or pray my wife can get up with me, follow me out the door, go get my script, drive the 25 miles to my work to give me my patch.

So with all that, I started looking at the PCS awaiting orders or home awating discharge regs, the way they are written right now, it is impossible to get this approved in the AF. You do not get an unfit memo that you can contest or not until after you get percentages, then its 30-90 until your out if everything is right, and if its wrong and your on PAO, you cannot fight it. Also you all ready have to be on extended active duty, so you would have to be past your EAS and have a recommendation back from the PEB.

SO by time one has ratings, has accepted or requested a FPEB, one is general in the last 30-90 days of their career, and have to oputprocess/attend tap, go to finance/mpf 400 times to fix their mistakes etc. so what would the point be. My docs/nurses/PA/NP's all know I hurt, they are gracious with a 4 hour duty day profile, and a list of "no's" that would make the laziest person swoon with joy, but that is not enough.

I get up, I medicate with half a lortab and an aleeve or motrin, drive 25 miles to work, park in the handicap spot, which is exactly .24 miles from my desk, it takes me 6-7 minutes on a "good day", i take the other half lortab, a lyrica, and sometimes a muscle relaxers dependant on spasms. I drool on a desk for 3-4 hours between smoke breaks, and if I feel safe I drive home. I take another lortab/lyrica/muscl relaxer/NSAID etc. take a hot bath or shower while wife makes me lunch, eat. grab my heating PADS or ice PACKS, based on type of pain that day wrap them around my hips/pelvis and go to sleep for 2-3 hours. Then I sit here or on the couch until its time for dinner and more pills and sleep, during which I will wake up 3-4 times religiously to pee, and if I do not wake up, I still pee.

It is getting harder and harder to put on my normal happy face, I am being snarky to folks here that I am legitimately trying to help and for that I apologize. I am just sickened right now that there are programs out there intended to help "us" but they are so vague in wording, application and so under utilized no one has any advice on it, and even if they did, the regulation is written and still in place from the "legacy" DES system. So tomorrow, I will wake up, medicate and put on a fake smile, go in to work try to make a difference helping my troops that are in the MEB process or the SIX from work center/28 in Squadron that got ID'd for early sep. blah, im tired of it.
Indeed, you are definitely making a difference; please keep up the good work whether venting, or ranting! :)

To that extent, it's not easy but if it is then where is the challenge for continuation? For sure, take care my friend! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Feel free to vent- We are like a Live Fire Range for Venting....Keep up your spirits the best you can and thanks for your giving back to the forum community here!

N7crapbob

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

Hey I can help you on this. I am and was a certified pharmacy tech before the military so this is what you need to do. First off, if you're seeing a military doctor STOP. They are horrible and they are bound to checklists in their jobs just like you and I. You don't need a referal to see any doctor off base. The doctors office will submit for you since they want to get paid by the insurance. Once you do that and find whatever doctor you want, find one that excels at pain management. Now this part is key; Tell the doctor the situation you are in and let him know about how the CII rule is messing up on your pain management. Have him write you 3 scripts all dated for that day but have 2 of the scipts say "Fill *insert date here*. Since you only have 2 weeks to give a CII script to the pharmacy turn all three of them in at your pharmacy of choice and they'll keep it on file. When it comes close to your fill date, they can fill the scripts 3 days before your last fill. I promise you that'll work and if the doctor won't do that, then he truly couldn't care about your health or your business. Yes it's about them making money on you every visit, but a good doctor knows you'll come back if you like he/she's practices. On the other stuff I can't help you since I don't know anything about wounded warrior but all I can say is be persistant and don't allow that peblo to tell you that you're being too proactive. It's your life, your social security number, and your case overall! Period! Please keep me up to date on your situation though because pharmacy stuff I can help you with.

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hey I can help you on this. I am and was a certified pharmacy tech before the military so this is what you need to do. First off, if you're seeing a military doctor STOP. They are horrible and they are bound to checklists in their jobs just like you and I. You don't need a referal to see any doctor off base. The doctors office will submit for you since they want to get paid by the insurance. Once you do that and find whatever doctor you want, find one that excels at pain management. Now this part is key; Tell the doctor the situation you are in and let him know about how the CII rule is messing up on your pain management. Have him write you 3 scripts all dated for that day but have 2 of the scipts say "Fill *insert date here*. Since you only have 2 weeks to give a CII script to the pharmacy turn all three of them in at your pharmacy of choice and they'll keep it on file. When it comes close to your fill date, they can fill the scripts 3 days before your last fill. I promise you that'll work and if the doctor won't do that, then he truly couldn't care about your health or your business. Yes it's about them making money on you every visit, but a good doctor knows you'll come back if you like he/she's practices. On the other stuff I can't help you since I don't know anything about wounded warrior but all I can say is be persistant and don't allow that peblo to tell you that you're being too proactive. It's your life, your social security number, and your case overall! Period! Please keep me up to date on your situation though because pharmacy stuff I can help you with.
I will ask about the scripts being written that way, I am at an off base pain manager, and ortho, and neuro etc. do not even see my PCM much unless I need profile updated etc. The main two hitches here with the scripts is in Dec. Oklahoma enacted a bunch of new laws concerning any medication including opioids, to include the butrans patch, So an in person doctor visit has to be within x amount of days of the script, to my understanding, however not sure if I could just provide other proof that I saw the doctor besides the script itself and have it filled. but I will ask about it, at least that way, maybe the stupid pharmacy will know to stock the medicine so I do not get that run around.

On the PCS awaiting orders, i am pretty SOL, until the va findings come back, there may be work arounds in place at AFPC etc. but as for here, everyone just reads the reg at face value. I did however make some progress on SCAADL today and found out I may qualify just need to get the forms filled out by a doc (which is another hassle because we have 2 MD's and 4-6 PA or NP's for the entire base) but I'll get it done. At this point any help, monetary or just the recognition that I am in fact broken and to quit "punishing" me because I am not an Er ranger or sick call commando.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">