not sure what to do

veryconfused

Registered Member
I tried to post this earlier but it did not appear to work, sorry if it is somehow on here twice....
I am AD Air Force and have been in for 17 years, 11 months. I began having back pain in October 2009 and am now undergoing the (new) MEB process. I am completely lost as to what to do. I have received a referral EPR and been demoted due to PT failures (while on a profile, AC only).
I received a copy of the letter my PCM wrote today for my MEB. The CC paragraph states that this is for Chronic Back Pain. Also listed in the PHM paragraph are Plantar Fascitis, Patellofemoral Syndrome, Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction, Endometriosis, Low Back Pain, and Obesity. The first question I have is how does any of this tie into my MEB or is it simply for AFTER I am out of the AF? It is also written in the PE paragraph that I have decreased extension and flexion of my right wrist. Is this at all a factor in this process?
I have until Tuesday (extended due to the upcoming holiday) to get a response to my PEBLO but I'm just unsure of what it is I am supposed to do now. I am concerned that if I push now to stay in and then after receiving the results of the IPEB I fight for a higher rating that it will look like a bunch of shenanigans. There are times when I'm just ready for this to be over but then I have to remind myself that I have spent nearly 18 years doing this and to not be able to retire now would be a waste.
Any help or advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Dear Very Confused,

17 years is a long time to dedicate to the service. However, you shouldnt look at an MEB as a waste of the last 17 years. It is very possible that you can recieve at least 30% which will still allow you to be retired and receive compensation for the rest of your life (as long as it is not TDRL). There is also no shame in fighting to stay in. If your findings come back at a rate that you feel is lower then it should be, you can appeal it and fight for a higher rating and a "Fit" finding. My Best advice to you is to talk to your MEB Legal team. That is what they are there for, to advise and orchastrate your appeal process. You may also find that as long as you get at least a 30% rating that retiring in this manner is actually better.

whatever you choose, I do highly recommned you talk to your Legal Department in your MEB.

Getting to 20 would be very valuable due to CRDP. It could mean uo to $3,000 more a month. Understand CRDP and the AF program to remain on active duty to 20 years despite being found unfit (called COAD in the Army) before you make any decisions.

Mike

What is CRDP?

I haven't been able to get any information from my PEBLO except that I do not have legal assistance available at this stage. I'm afraid if I fight at this level to stay in and then I am told that is not possible then how bad would it look to fight later for a higher rating? It seems not right that after 18 years my career can just be over after an injury with no retirement.

I guess the lesson that I learned here is although my back was so badly injured that I couldn't stand up straight (before the surgery) that I should NOT have gone in for medical care.

What all is taken into consideration when the rating is given? Just my back injury? Or all of the items listed as other medical conditions?

There is nothing wrong with passion to stay in the service. I told my doctors all the way through that I love the Air Force, and want to stay in. When they did my NARSUM, each doc pulled me aside and told me that they know I want to stay in, but it's better for the Air Force and better for my health if I pursue life outside the service. At that point, they (the medical team) all said to focus on my health, my family, and compensation...they were giving me an unfit.

Everything that is taken into consideration will be on your form the PEBLO has. I was boarded for four conditions. One was chronic pain from my back. Hope this helps. You're not alone!

What were you rated for your back? One of my four conditions was chronic back pain and they did not rate me on it...