Not sure???

lele336

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Received my proposed ratings via VA phone rep 50% DOD and 90% VA. I'm active duty waiting for my 199 form to sign. My question is if I agree with these findings Is the 50% any different than 30% retirement? I just want to know because of my transition I have saved enough for 3 months rent and have 45 leave days saved but does this give me any retirement money or does this go to my medical and I never see a dime? Any feedback will be great.

inpain2424

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You receive DOD money until VA kicks in. So yes it matters temporarily and it could support future claims just having it documented.

lele336

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks inpain that's great feedback, I have to ask will the DOD money be taken out of my VA money until I repay the DOD In full? My disability occurred in a combat zone but was not combat related at all just to throw it out there. And if I do have to repay it can I just not take the money once I talk to my peblo to sign the 199?

inpain2424

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you take leave, you will receive pay from the military until you transition. Then you should receive DOD pay until your VA kicks in. If money is an issue, consider unemployment (not the best option) until you land a job or other.

scoutCC

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am curious what you mean by repay the DoD in full? If you receive a 50% retirement there should be no need to repay the DoD anything. I think you are confusing the recoupment of severance pay, which should not apply.

lele336

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
That's the answer I think I got it inpain the DOD will pay me until the VA kicks in. I was scoutcc I wanted to be sure I did not need to repay the money like the severance pay. I'm 90 days out with 40 leave days, so now I clear. I wanted to save as much as I can until then. I will look into unemployment at the least, hopefully after a month I will be working for the post office. In the process of working on the 100% with DAV.

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
That's the answer I think I got it inpain the DOD will pay me until the VA kicks in. I was scoutcc I wanted to be sure I did not need to repay the money like the severance pay. I'm 90 days out with 40 leave days, so now I clear. I wanted to save as much as I can until then. I will look into unemployment at the least, hopefully after a month I will be working for the post office. In the process of working on the 100% with DAV.

Here's a DFAS calculator to use.

When your VA finally kicks in, this will tell you who pays and how much each one will pay every month.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/woundedwarrior/disabledretireest.html

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Here's a DFAS calculator to use.

When your VA finally kicks in, this will tell you who pays and how much each one will pay every month.

Also, your might consider changing how many tax exemptions you have with DFAS.

I knew I was going to get taxed 28% Federal on my sale of leave. Not counting my State tax.

Since I knew I had already paid a bunch of Fed tax that year (PDRLed mid-APR) at the Single and ZERO payroll rate, I temporarily switched myself from Single and Zero to Married and 5.

Once I got my sale of leave money in my bank account, I switched back.

The FEDs still taxed my sale of Leave, but not as much. It gave me a few more hundred dollars to live on while I was waiting on the VA/DFAS pay switch (offset) to go through.

Did this temporary switch change thru MyPay.

I basically broke even on the Fed income tax return for that year - didn't owe, but didn't really get anything back either(under 50 bucks).

nwlivewire

lele336

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was going to use my leave days and take that time to find work. I was told about the taxes and that turned me off but no one has mentioned your method yet. I was in for 5 years does the high 36 still apply to me for medical retirement?

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I was going to use my leave days and take that time to find work. I was told about the taxes and that turned me off but no one has mentioned your method yet. I was in for 5 years does the high 36 still apply to me for medical retirement?

Yes. If the date you SIGNED your FIRST military enlistment contract falls AFTER September ??, 1980, you fall under "High Three".

Here's a DFAS calculator.

It's works for those with UNDER 20 years of service and works with or without CRSC.

It will break down WHICH agency will pay and HOW MUCH each agency will pay - after the DoD and VA get their post-discharge finalization process completed.

If the numbers you input are accurate, the end result will be accurate.

My data input came within 10 bucks of my real monthly total.

nwlivewire

nwlivewire

FloridaInjuredInCombat

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
IF your injures are Combat Related, and that includes being caused by an "instrumentality of war" or "simulations of war", things such as being injured gear meant for combat or during field exercises, or Airborne jumps, etc... then if you should push to have the V codes on your DA 199 reflect that, as well as state "combat related". What you'd be looking for is V1 and/or V3 to say YES, V4 YES only means it occurred in a combat zone and does not help with CRSC. Having it recognized on the DA 199 is helpful when you apply for CRSC after discharge.

CRSC - Combat Related Special Compensation would allow you to draw BOTH your VA disability benefits AND a calculated part of your military retirement and CRSC pay. The link to the DFAS calculator nwlivewire posted would show you what you'd be looking at. Without CRSC, you would only be able to draw EITHER the VA disability benefits OR your military retirement pay, whichever is higher, and that usually is the VA benefits.

Remember IF you believe you should qualify for CRSC you must apply to your specific branch of service (Army, Navy, etc...) after discharge, CRSC is not automatically started.

Hope this helps...

lele336

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks guys, I will continue to look into dfas and the VA before I transition out. Great feedback

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">