OCS Eligibility Question

Hexokinase

Registered Member
Hi fellow forum users,

I’m not currently in the army though have begun communicating with a recruiter about activity duty enlistment.

As I have a bachelor’s degree, enlisting under the army’s officer candidate program is seemingly the most attractive option to me. Though because I have a documented arrest for family violence/assault (occurring between my older brother and myself in 2011) my recruiter is telling me that my eligibility for OCS is automatically disqualified. That I must enlist outside of the officer training program and reapply in 2 years for a waiver in the event that I still wish to be admitted to officer candidate school. She has further communicated to me that waivers only apply to current soldiers wishing to transition into OCS under similar circumstances, and that because I am not currently a member of the military I can’t be offered the same amenity.

In my particular case, my official plea before the court in 2011 was “not guilty” and the case was thereafter dismissed by the sitting judge. I received no punishment in any form, other than the recurring embarrassment of having to explain why I have a record of arrest.

This doesn’t quite make sense to me as everything I’ve read online indicates that only pending charges/convictions of guilt should affect eligibility for enrollment. By the recruiter’s logic, even if I was innocent and deemed so by the court, the fact that I was even brought before the court is grounds for disqualification. Could anyone shed some light on this? I’d very much appreciate any information! Thank you so much!

If the deposition of your charge is exactly as you say it is I would seriously consider paying for an attorney to process an expungement of your records, each state is different but just about all allow it for cases that were dismissed or found not guilty I will say they do limit these to usually once in a lifetime or every ten years or so. If the expunge is granted you can legally say you were never arrested and state so in any affidavit. There is probably some truth to what they are saying because I got a lecture at MEPS over a dismissed traffic ticket I omitted in my enlistment forms that came up.

Yes it is exactly as is written above. Thank you for your response! I’ll look into it further through an attorney.

The recruiter is lying to you - it’s actually much more difficult to get commissioned after you are in as you are at the mercy of a military chain of command. Most waivers are actually ‘for’ civilians so that they can qualify for service. I recommend you find a different recruiter. It sounds like to me that she is working on her enlisted quotas. Is this person an actual officer recruiter???

The recruiter is lying to you - it’s actually much more difficult to get commissioned after you are in as you are at the mercy of a military chain of command. Most waivers are actually ‘for’ civilians so that they can qualify for service. I recommend you find a different recruiter. It sounds like to me that she is working on her enlisted quotas. Is this person an actual officer recruiter???

The recruiter is to my understanding not an officer recruiter. I’m actually trying as best I can to get ahold of another recruiter in the meanwhile, though given the current climate of things and with physical recruitment offices temporarily closed its proving to be a bit hard. But I’ll continue to try. She had told me that she would “check to see what the rules were” to verify them a week ago and responded today telling me to “look up AR 9-10 and AR 4-10” myself. I tried looking up those references in what I found to be some sort of an OCS guideline manual, though everything in it suggested those eligibility disqualifications only apply to convictions/pending cases. I thought about pointing it out to her but at this point dealing with this particular recruiter feels uncomfortable and really a waste of time. So again, thanks for suggesting finding someone else.

What I told you is correct. Find another recruiter...
I agree. And...as you (OP) have likely seen, you must eligible for a SECRET clearance as a minimum.

Reference: [told to] "look up AR 9-10 and AR 4-10' myself."

Who are these people? Rhetoric question.

Good luck,
Ron

Try figuring out who his recruiting company commander is and give them a call or better yet walk into the recruiting commanders office. Don’t enlist if commissioning is what you want. Make the recruiter go through the process of building the OCS packet and then sending it to the selection board. Then if you are non-selected by the board, perhaps look at enlisting.

Also this is not the site for such questions, go over to armyocs.com and introduce yourself and ask there. There will be current Army officers, recruiters, and numerous officer candidates on that site that can answer your questions much better than we can here on this site.

Thank you! I really do appreciate your reply! And I do apologize if this wasn’t the correct medium through which to seek out information on the topic. Regardless, you all have been a great help.

Thank you! I really do appreciate your reply! And I do apologize if this wasn’t the correct medium through which to seek out information on the topic. Regardless, you all have been a great help.

No need for apologies, and I wasn’t trying to run you off the site. It’s just that this site is the absolute best when it comes to MEB/PEB issues and ArmyOCS.com is the absolute best when it comes to information regarding applying to and getting accepted into OCS. Over there you can find the pertinent regulations and latest OCS USAREC messages with up to date information, packing list, start memorizing the required knowledge and lots more information. You’ll find more and better info there than you can at ten other sites... up to date changes as they are happening... when I went through OCS, they were changing the curriculum, and added another company... we were able to inform others about these things as they were happening.

I am an active duty Army officer, prior enlisted. I am not a recruiter. I concur with what the other posters are saying. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk offline.

Find an officer recruiter. Every recruiter has a quota. Some will do anything to meet their quota. Do not deal with an enlisted recruiter. As state above, get an attorney and get your record expunged.