Of the 5-Human Senses Are Loss Of Smell And Taste Compensated By The US Department of Veterans Affairs!

Former MiTT Team Leader

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Quick question, brought to my attention, by local Gulf Coast VA/VISN-16 vet whom could not smell smoke when returned from OIF/OEF!

Of the 5-human senses (see for example only The Five (and More) Senses ) are the loss-degradation of senses of smell and taste compensated by the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Could find nothing on smell in NVLSP Veterans Benefits Manual on smell!! (see for example Home - Products By NVLSP )

If they are are soldiers returning from various places around the Globe in the "never ending story" of the Global War on Terror, being screened for issues such as these upon return from deployment in whatever "scenic vacation" spot they were deployed by the US Government?

Believe USA Today had recent poll on what veterans and general public thought, about OEF/OIF/Syria, etc... might be worth looking into- perhaps?

Anyway, would be most appreciative if someone highly knowledgeable this wed-site could advise or add clarity to this question as think all 5-Senses the human body vital- why in Vietnam SOG MACV personnel and others ate local food, perhaps utilized tobacco products, etc... before going into bush on patrol-mission, so smelled like their enemies, to avoid compromise/detection on things like recon-scouting patrols, ambushes, sniper operations etc....!

Thanks

Last edited:
After coming home from OIF in 2009, I lost about 90% of my sense of smell. The only things I can smell at all have to be very strong, like a skunk, but for me it’s just a mild whiff.

After coming home from OIF in 2009, I lost about 90% of my sense of smell. The only things I can smell at all have to be very strong, like a skunk, but for me it’s just a mild whiff.

Tony292- those never smelled a skunk do not realize just how significant that is. Were you sprayed by it- hope not because very hard to get off/out- and could not imagine with 90% loss of smell probably could tell if got it all off...LOL, LOL?

Also looking quickly at you rated conditions do not see where tested for "smell" nor compensated for it- but could have missed-perhaps. So where were you tested and how to determine 90% loss sense of smell?

And was hoping a super-moderator or so could actually at clarity to this issue.....????

Thanks Tony292......

PS: Apparently another local vet Gulf Coast VA called Public Affairs and found out the Dir (ret. USAF) of Gulf Coast VA supposedly going to start having meetings the 4th Friday of every month at BLDG. 53 in Bilioxi MS HQ- as sort of a tell it to the Dir sort of thing, from 1300-1500. Apparently this vet, realizing Gulf Coast VA streches from Bilioxi MS to past Panama City, FL asked if going to start doing VTC- as those Eglin AFB, OPC, Panama City, etc.. would most likely have spend night on road- that is quite a burden, unless of course travel pay and lodging costs covered to assist those wanting to attend-perhaps? Or, supposedly this vet asked, better yet, is Dir. actually going to get out of "secure" office and visit all clinics like Eglin, OPC regularly, and host these affairs on the local level? Supposedly Public Affairs had no reply or knowledge of any of this?

Finally, another Gulf Coast VA Vet, with phone and apparently clerk issues (as do supposedly doctors trying schedule appointments) Gulf Coast VA, finally got names of Communications Officer- Leslie Simms, and Head of MAS Clerks- Michael Thomas and 2nd Teresa Oliver- when they had supposedly been give other names not remotely associated these Dept. Gulf Coast VA! Then when asked be transferred by Gulf Coast VA phone Operators to Michael Thomas and 2nd Teresa Oliver- told by operators not protocol for a veteran to talk Senior leadership directly Gulf Coast VA and refused to transfer!

Funny, apparently one used to be able to email directly a former Head of The Entire US department of Vet Affairs and get action, if warranted, taken? So how can one supposedly, in past, communicate Head US Federal Agency, but not the mere peons at the local VA level?????

Last edited:
Tony292- thanks again reply- had to look up your 60% pulmonary residuals of Myasthenia gravis as did not know what it was! Those others possibly interested see: Myasthenia Gravis Fact Sheet | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke for example....

Also found this for loss of taste and smell....those interested please see: Military Disability Ratings for Taste and Smell Conditions for an example- but still requires some clarification as honestly could not find in the NVSLP books which are supposedly the bible most US VA disability attorneys and judges utilize...but could have missed....

Thanks again Tony292, and hopefully will not ecounter anymore "skunks".....

PS:

Those earned CIB in global war on terror, etc... might be interested in the "Combat Infantrymans Assoication" ???? See perhaps Combat Infantrymen's Association

Others may be interested in the following:

Thanks and best wishes.....and hope some better clarification those more knowledgeable....

Tony292- and those interested also found this on sense of smell:

-https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_ListBySymptom.asp below in "cited" from listed website:

"Ear, Nose, and Throat
Conditions - SymptomsForm Name
Evaluation of various conditions of the ear including: infections, dizziness, vertigo, acoustic tumors and other conditions with ringing in the ears (tinnitus).Ear Condition (including: Vestibular and Infectious Conditions)
Evaluation of Anosmia (inability to detect any odor), Hyposmia (reduced ability to detect odors), Ageusia (complete lack of taste), Hypogeusia (decrease in sense of taste) and other conditions affecting the sense of smell and taste.Loss of Sense of Smell and/or Taste
Evaluation of conditions affecting, the sinuses, nose, throat, larynx, and pharynx, including, but not limited to deviated nasal septum and organic aphonia, vocal chord problems.Sinusitis, Rhinitis, and other Conditions of the Nose, Throat, Larynx, and Pharynx
Endocrinological"

Hope this assist someone out there......

PS: Tony292 might be interested in the following...LOL:

-https://www.skedaddlewildlife.com/how-to-neutralize-skunk-odor/

Other male veterans may be interested in the following:

-https://www.veteranslawblog.org/va-disability-rating-for-erectile-dysfunction/

Once again hope this assists some those suffering this condition, as well......??????

Tony292 - others might be interested in https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960N-3-ARE.pdf for those perhaps have issues sense of smell and considering filing a claim....???

For illustration, of the importance and practicality of this to active duty soldiers please see -as an example only -some of the following:

- The Smell of War "The Smell of War To improve its virtual-reality simulators, the military wants to incorporate smell. For help, it's turning to Hollywood" By James Vlahos August 1, 2006

- STOP, Look, Listen, Smell (SLLS): Fine Tune Your Senses - The Company Leader "SLLS – Fine Tune Your Senses" by Raymond Hanson

- Spy Game - Wikipedia
"Spy Game" From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (good visuals on one of main character living in a special compound in Vietnam - eating, cooking, and basically living like local Vietnamese Population...in order smell like them....)

Anyway hope this greatly assist's.....

PS: Might want see following web-links, as examples only, on "tests" for smell and taste:

- https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...tion+test&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

- Taste Disorders

(Still issues this website...)

Instead of creating a new Thread, as this sort of ties in with 5-Human Senses, does anybody know if the US VA is using some kind f scheduling software to schedule appointments- such as dental, per Priority Groups????

Reason asking, local vet, supposedly being told almost 90-Days get a dental appointment dentist and yet again not notified annual cleaning????

Understanding is Dental(?) is one of more challenging get Service Connection for with US VA and US VA priority grouping different rest US VA System Priorities Groups- see for example
following web-site: https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-442_dental_benefits_for_veterans.pdf page-1....

tried to find statistics on Dental Service Connection- i.e. how many veterans Service Connected and/or Eligible utilize dental but had no luck! Perhaps a Super-moderator may know?

However found the following, those interested, my find useful-helpful:

(Still having trouble this website and cannot delete the above nor insert properly..)

Thanks, and hopefully a Super-moderator or someone very knowledgeable can comment further.....????

PS: May want to see:

"FY2017 VA Disability Compensation and Pension Recipients by County of Residence "
"Source: Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of Data Governance and Analytics, United States Veterans Eligibility Trends & Statistics (USVETS) 2017
Prepared by National Center for Veterans Analysis & Statistics"

Thought I would follow-up with some files from: "National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics" from various embedded links this web-site as might prove useful someone? (hopefully file meta-data protected as some files cannot post specific web-link too...)

So those interested please see following:

Hopefully- a Super moderator- once again can clarify why there would possibly be a 90-day (+-) wait see a dental provider US DVA if Dental is supposedly one of hardest to get service connection for unless 100% Disabled-I/U, etc...... as well as if US DVA clerks etc...utilize scheduling software that automatically categorizes appointments by specified US VA Priority Groups and a 'bump" plan... so to speak...????

(Thanks still issues this web-site)

Attachments

• Profile_of_Veterans_Internet_Use_Deep_Dive.pdf
    325 KB · Views: 1
  • IB10-442_dental_benefits_for_veterans.pdf
    654.5 KB · Views: 1
  • VetPop_Infographic_2019.pdf
    354.8 KB · Views: 1
  • WWIinfographic.pdf
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture Rural Vet's By State From National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics .JPG
    Capture Rural Vet's By State From National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics .JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture Comp_n_Pen_by_Cnty_2017 From National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics .JPG
    Capture Comp_n_Pen_by_Cnty_2017 From National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics .JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 0
as well as if US DVA clerks etc...utilize scheduling software that automatically categorizes appointments by specified US VA Priority Groups and a 'bump" plan... so to speak...????

Thought I would follow-up, those whom may not know what a "bump plan" is in either US Military Air Assault- Airborne-Convoy Operations, etc....?

Per web-site: http://armchairgeneral.com/tactics-101-043-air-assault-the-loading-plan.htm and cited from in "quotes" : an
"AIRCRAFT BUMP PLAN
One of the things that must be worked out before loading is an aircraft bump plan. On the PZ, there must be a plan in place when aircraft inevitability go down or do not arrive for some reason. A bump priority ensures that the most essential personnel and equipment arrive at the LZ first to facilitate the ground tactical plan. The bump plan specifies which personnel and equipment should be bumped when aircraft go down or do not arrive. If all personnel within a load cannot be lifted, they must know who is to offload and in what sequence. This ensures that key personnel are not bumped. A bump plan is designated for aircraft in each serial or flight. This sequence is listed on the air movement table and ensures that key aircraft loads are not left in the PZ. When an aircraft cannot lift off and key personnel are on board, they offload and re-board another aircraft in accordance with the bump priority. If a bump plan is not developed the end result is chaos on the PZ and a poorly synchronized operation on the other end."

Additionally from web-site: https://www.trngcmd.marines.mil/Portals/207/Docs/TBS/B4P4878 Motorized Convoy Ops.pdf and cited from in "quotes" : "Bump Plan: When a vehicle goes down (due to enemy or maintenance), where will you transfer the Marines & cargo to keep moving? Have a plan for every vehicle in the convoy."

One can also see if interested the below web-sites as well on "bump plans" and priority personnel if interested???-

Additionally, planning and prioritizing or simply scheduling appointments etc... is simply and usually a function of time, money and available resources! One can see the following web-links for example if interested among many :

So by having Priority Groups for patients the US VA must simply recognize it does not have the resources available at all times to assist all veterans, and ergo "mandates" that the be scheduled by their Priority Groupings.... perhaps??? If this is so, is it truly occurring across the board in all US VA VISN's and systems...???

Hopefully, some feedback- particularly on Dental Privatization will be forthcoming say a Super-moderator this web-site, etc.....????

PS: Thought the below slide from "Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of Data Governance and Analytics, United States Veterans Eligibility Trends & Statistics (USVETS) 2017 Prepared by National Center for Veterans Analysis & Statistics " etc... interesting:

(Still issues this web-site...)

Attachments

• QuickFactsMaps_Slideshow.PDF
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
So by having Priority Groups for patients the US VA must simply recognize it does not have the resources available at all times to assist all veterans, and ergo "mandates" that the be scheduled by their Priority Groupings.... perhaps??? If this is so, is it truly occurring across the board in all US VA VISN's and systems...???

Simply thought would follow-up on above about attempt get less 90-day Dental appointment by local Gulf Coast VA veteran whom shared the below "secure message" from the Biloixi MS dental facility with me- if interested see in "quotes" below:

"I am aware that appointments…being made well into the future. I gather that is because of too few dentists and too many patients. As you know, I am just a common …. trenches and never consulted for advice regarding how the asylum should be administered. I receive a significant number of these messages reporting that voicemails seem to be disappearing into a black hole or the Bermuda triangle or some other dimension where they will remain imperceptible. That said, I have passed a hard copy…of your appointment request to someone who has the digital capability to make you an appointment (they are few and include no one in the dental service). I will cross my fingers …."

Additionally, apparently another Gulf Coast VA veteran is simply having issues with their other providers, getting clerks to simply schedule a VTC.....?????? If true, whom is really in charge Gulf Coast VA/ VISN-16 in Biloixi MS and VISN16 HQ in MS??????

Another vet Gulf Coast VA, simply having issues resultant an incident local beach having issues getting care across the board and sent me the following highly sarcastic formula, that seems somewhat appropriate, so asked permission and will share as well:

Reg,. Private Sector DR No Walk-in Appts. + No US VA ER New MOPC (other places)= Potential Big $$$ or Money For Local Private Hops. ER or Urgent Care Facilities (slang term "Doc In Box")

So was kind of hoping some clarification from some, hopefully Supe-moderators this site, if in fact know 1) Dental Service connection, outside 100% and I/u one of hardest to obtain..? 2) US VA clerks utilizing any sort software that takes into account veteran Priority Grouping when scheduling appointments...??? 3) Whom is in charge US VA id doctors cannot get simply things like VTC's and appointments scheduled and know a vet- under their care- has more than valid issues and is within right Priority Grouping for "prioritization" of care....?????

Anyway-hopefully a response someone knowledgeable forth-coming....????

PS: Those considering "buying" a home may be interested in below from USA.com and provided for information only:

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines. "Loaners Go Low for High Interest- Loopholes Keep Predators in Business"

(Still issues this web-site...)

On dental, some vets may find the following of use perhaps (?)-

Other Forces, etc....:

Thanks......

PS: Must admit inadequacy reading-scanning through some above, as well other similar articles internet, somewhat perplexed on what it all means in "plain English," so to speak, and hopefully a Super Moderator can assist in some clarification......perhaps...those of us vet's without requisite advanced degrees????

Last edited:
Hopefully a Super Moderator like MaParker or GSFowler can answer the following question....perhaps????

Does the US Congress utilize per Post #11 above, perhaps and not saying those listed in Post #11, but similar such studies, such studies to enact policy decisions and legislation?????

Below is what I found on the topic, bbrief internet search, for example only, those interested...?????

Thanks, any response(s) in advance.......??????????

PS: Those interested might want see, for example only:

Forums Transition Forum: Veterans Affairs and SSDI Veterans Affairs, SSDI, and other Benefits Pissed off about dental

(still issues internet or website..apologies....)

The Department of Veterans Affairs runs programs benefiting veterans and members of their families. It offers education opportunities and rehabilitation services and provides compensation payments for disabilities or death related to military service, home loan guaranties, pensions, burials, and health care that includes the services of nursing homes, clinics, and medical centers. If you want to know about how to get stronger? you can visit archgfx.

Thanks