Office of Airmen's Counsel

The Email below came to my inbox today, providential.

Facing an MEB -- Call OAC!

We are the attorneys and paralegals of the Office of Airmen's Counsel (Team OAC!). We are a Division of the Community Legal Services Directorate under The Air Force Legal Operations Agency.

As chief of the OAC, I lead nine lawyers (two of whom are currently reservists) and four paralegals, to represent Airmen from the time they are entered into the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) - a.k.a. MEB process-to when they meet the Formal Physical Evaluation Board (FPEB), through their appeals to the Secretary of the Air Force Personnel Council or the Veterans Administration. Our legal office represents Airmen worldwide, active duty and reserve. This workload translates to more than 2,000 clients and over 700 hearings in 2013! Our attorneys enjoy an attorney-client privilege with their clients and work to preserve their clients' interests, whether it be a disability rating increase, a return to duty finding, or a disability separation or retirement that the wounded or ill Airman so richly deserves.

Here's the challenge--many of our prospective clients do not know of our existence! We do not have the resources to have a PEB attorney at each Military Treatment Facility, where the clients may initially think to look for us. The Air Force currently has nine PEB attorneys available to represent Airmen. While there is no way of knowing how many Airmen have faced the MEB process without the benefit of legal counsel, Congress recognized in 2008 even one Airman is too many.

With innovative outreach activities, including an Armed Forces Network commercial; news articles such as this one; and posters throughout Air Force installations, we are making a difference to Airmen who are not familiar with Team OAC. When an Airman is put into the IDES at the Medical Treatment Facilities, they generally do not understand they can seek immediate legal assistance from the OAC. Outreach becomes very important because without the OAC guiding Airmen, their rights and benefits may be negatively affected due to the numerous filing deadlines that run throughout the IDES.

JAGs and paralegals in the field can help us by getting the word out about what we do. Many of our clients erroneously believe the base legal office or the Area Defense Counsel can help them through this process. We want you to know to refer these Airmen to us. The nuanced legal issues involved in the IDES require early and often communication between the Airmen and the OAC. You can help in this endeavor.

So for you and anyone who is facing an MEB call OAC!

OAC Contact info is: Commercial 210-565-0739 DSN 665-0739 based out of JB San Antonio-Randolph

We are the attorneys and paralegals of the Office of Airmen's Counsel (Team OAC!). We are a Division of the Community Legal Services Directorate under The Air Force Legal Operations Agency.

As chief of the OAC, I lead nine lawyers (two of whom are currently reservists) and four paralegals, to represent Airmen from the time they are entered into the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) - a.k.a. MEB process-to when they meet the Formal Physical Evaluation Board (FPEB), through their appeals to the Secretary of the Air Force Personnel Council or the Veterans Administration. Our legal office represents Airmen worldwide, active duty and reserve. This workload translates to more than 2,000 clients and over 700 hearings in 2013! Our attorneys enjoy an attorney-client privilege with their clients and work to preserve their clients' interests, whether it be a disability rating increase, a return to duty finding, or a disability separation or retirement that the wounded or ill Airman so richly deserves.

Here's the challenge--many of our prospective clients do not know of our existence! We do not have the resources to have a PEB attorney at each Military Treatment Facility, where the clients may initially think to look for us. The Air Force currently has nine PEB attorneys available to represent Airmen. While there is no way of knowing how many Airmen have faced the MEB process without the benefit of legal counsel, Congress recognized in 2008 even one Airman is too many.

With innovative outreach activities, including an Armed Forces Network commercial; news articles such as this one; and posters throughout Air Force installations, we are making a difference to Airmen who are not familiar with Team OAC. When an Airman is put into the IDES at the Medical Treatment Facilities, they generally do not understand they can seek immediate legal assistance from the OAC. Outreach becomes very important because without the OAC guiding Airmen, their rights and benefits may be negatively affected due to the numerous filing deadlines that run throughout the IDES.

JAGs and paralegals in the field can help us by getting the word out about what we do. Many of our clients erroneously believe the base legal office or the Area Defense Counsel can help them through this process. We want you to know to refer these Airmen to us. The nuanced legal issues involved in the IDES require early and often communication between the Airmen and the OAC. You can help in this endeavor.

OAC Contact info is: Commercial 210-565-0739 DSN 665-0739 based out of JB San Antonio-Randolph

Thank-you for sharing!

V/R,
nwlivewire

Thank-you for sharing!

V/R,
nwlivewire

Indeed, I concur; it's most appreciative! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I'm actively using them.

I have an attorney through the OAC.. hoping it all works out and I get returned to dutt

Update on this post, as I just got off the phone with these folks: Despite what their email states, they apparently do not assist you until you have received a "fit/unfit" from the PEB, and you've signed an AF Form 300-something.

'Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease' definitely applies to OAC. They are swamped, but once you have their attention, they are great at helping. Often its too late to save you time and aggravation, but generally you will be better off in the end if you work with them. I went all the way up to having a FPEB scheduled before they would talk to me, and then they restarted my whole process back at square 1 (worth it since the FPEB probably wasn't going to work out in my favor).

Update on this post, as I just got off the phone with these folks: Despite what their email states, they apparently do not assist you until you have received a "fit/unfit" from the PEB, and you've signed an AF Form 300-something.
Not sure where you heard that. I've had them help on rebuttals for my rilo and also meb rebuttal. They are usually a 1 day turn around from email for me, but I am 4hr time difference

I am about to see my 618. I called and was told I was too early in the process and to wait until the PEB before I could talk to an attorney.

I just called them just to make first contact and they were prompt and informative. Caveat is that the normal process is to assign a JAG once you receive the NARSUM, so I will call them back at that point for a new vector.

Some professional statisticians have questioned the validity of the questions asked by the burn pit registry. The blow back has not made the Congressional floor.

Outstanding!

I am code 37 in the system and undergoing a PEB. My ETS has expired and I have been told that I am supposed to be extended but I am being denied the extension. Is that correct or incorrect?

I used them and they way I look at them is, they saved my career. They told me not to expect to win my return to duty appeal at any level, but that I would have an excellent chance of being approved for Limited Assignment Status, and last week I was approved. I'll now retire this November with 20 yrs and take CRDP.

Very satisfied with the OAC folks.

I used them and they way I look at them is, they saved my career. They told me not to expect to win my return to duty appeal at any level, but that I would have an excellent chance of being approved for Limited Assignment Status, and last week I was approved. I'll now retire this November with 20 yrs and take CRDP.

Very satisfied with the OAC folks.
MFJ114, do you mind sharing how long ago your process started and when did you get to speak with OAC? I've called and emailed then a few times and received the same response that I am to contact them after disposition of the IPEB if found unfit. Did you have to choose either to do the appeals or apply for LAS? Does that mean you'll be removed from your primary duty or do you complete your remaining time in the same duty section? Very interested to know what your unfitting condition(s) are and VA rating?