slimothy1914

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I would like to start by thanking everyone who has taken their time to post on the PEBForum because I’ve been reading it every day for some time now, and I’ve received so much invaluable information. I am just now getting started with the Overseas IDES process in Japan.

About Me:
Navy E-5 w/ 10 years, 4 months AD svc

Timeline:
July 2009: R Hip injury (Labral Tear/FAI)
April 2011: Outpatient Alcohol Rehab
July 2011: R Hip Surgery
May- Oct 2013: Deployed OEF- Security Forces Afg. Advisory Team
July 2013: Emergency Appendectomy
Oct 2013: Return from AFG; "PTSD" symptoms begin
Nov 2013: L Knee Injury
Apr 2014: L Knee Arthroscopy
Aug 2014: L Knee Cartilage Implant
Oct 2015: Hospitalized in ICU for Myocarditis
Nov 2017: Seen/cardiac workup for Pericarditis
Self-referred to 30-day Inpatient Alcohol Rehab
Aug-Nov 2018: Deployed on ship with MEU
April 2019: Bunkmate from ship dies (resume heavy drinking/ “PTSD” symptoms are at worst)
2 May 2019: R Hip Injury
Mid-May 2019: MRI shows 3 Labral Tears and Secondary Osteoarthritis in R Hip
24 May 2019: Start LIMDU
July 2019: Chest Pain
Aug 2019: Japanese and Navy doctors agree that pain is due to Coronary Vasospasm
September- October 2019: Intensive Outpatient Alcohol Rehab
7 Oct 2019: Official PTSD diagnosis
30 Oct 2019: Met with doctor to sign PEB paperwork
5 Nov 2019: NMA signed by CO; submitted to PEBLO

I would like to start by thanking everyone who has taken their time to post on the PEBForum because I’ve been reading it every day for some time now, and I’ve received so much invaluable information. I am just now getting started with the Overseas IDES process in Japan.

About Me:

Timeline:
April 2019: Bunkmate from ship dies (resume heavy drinking/ “PTSD” symptoms are at worst)
Aug 2019: Japanese and Navy doctors agree that pain is due to Coronary Vasospasm
Welcome to the forum and get ready for the IDES ride.

About Me:

Timeline:
8 Nov 2019: Package sent to PEB Washington for warranted/unwarranted decision.. Time to hurry up and wait!!!!

19 Nov 19: Receieved call from PEBLO. PEB Washington requested an addendum from a cardiologist.

Hi, just wanted to reach out to see where you are in the process. I am also overseas and it is highly likely that I will be referred to the MEB/PEB. I near the end of my LIMDU and just got MRIs that show labral tears in both hips (I also have a FAI in my R hip). Spoke to my PCM two days ago about the MRI results, referred me back to Orthopedics again but said MEB/PEB is in my near future and I am more than ready for it...

Hey there! So my process has been at a standstill for months... I’m currently in Hawaii for some additional testing. I know 1 Marine and 2 Sailors that are stationed in Okinawa that received notification that their packages are found as warranted.

Hey there! So my process has been at a standstill for months... I’m currently in Hawaii for some additional testing. I know 1 Marine and 2 Sailors that are stationed in Okinawa that received notification that their packages are found as warranted.
Thank you for the reply, can you explain “warranted” for me please?

Yeah, so overseas packages have to be determined as warranted or unwarranted before members get orders to return CONUS for the remainder of the PEB process.

Gotcha ok, so its the same thing as fit or unfit for duty. Do you know the estimate time I may wait from the official submission to when I may be found fit or unfit for duty?

It’s not quite the same, because you still have to do the C&P exams with the VA once you get to the states. So, if your package is found to be warranted, then you get to go start the process of a full MEB

It’s not quite the same, because you still have to do the C&P exams with the VA once you get to the states. So, if your package is found to be warranted, then you get to go start the process of a full MEB
So how long did it take for you find out that you were warranted? I was told once I get my PEB paperwork submitted I should get orders back to the states within two months.

So...you are in the same holding pattern I am. OIDES was cancelled as of Sept 2019. All Navy and Marine overseas cases were suspended in Dec/Jan awaiting the ASN MRA Policy. Basically, the OIDES was illegal and against federal/DoD policy. The Policy letter that came out last week gives the Navy and Marine Corps until 30 April to update ALL orders that have anything pertaining to Overseas DES processes. It boils down to not sending part of the paperwork to the PEB to see IF you meet the criteria and instead having you go through the whole process, to include the C&P exams.

You're PEBLO should have told you all of this.

Here is my post with a little more insight:

Attachments

• ASN MRA DES Policy Guidance Concerning Overseas - Remote Duty Location March 2020.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for that! Yeah, so my docs are working on getting me orders stateside now...lol not sure if I wanna go to the COVID capital of the world

Mine too. The orders side will differ slightly because you are Navy but both policies for medical pull from Navy. Orders are currently on hold until May 26 (currently) for all DoD but I see that changing to longer. However, the docs can try and do a medical necessary move and get the GO (Admiral) signature on it to effect that move.

I currently am not holding out hope but I also am not expecting orders to tell me to move in June because the system is so broken.

Long time no post.... sorry y’all. But I’m finally getting started (I think). In San Diego now and literally waiting to be seen by the orthopedic surgeon to refer me to PEB. Hopefully the ball starts rolling soon.... I’ll let y’all know

16 OCT 2020-Ortho officially started Med board
21 OCT 2020- Attended virtual IDES/ LDES legal brief

Will be attending Multi-disciplinary brief (DTAP) tomorrow, and meeting with IDES lawyer on Friday.

Are you staying in Japan for the process or being sent to the states?

When did you give your duty station preference for the PEB? When did you get orders and when did you execute them? Im just trying to get an idea of timeline.