On PDRL and denied GI bill post 9/11. Please help

Ntara

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was medically discharged in Aug 2015 I applied for post 9/11 and was denied for the following reasons. I thought I needed 30 continuous days and these may be active duty for training days to include AIT and BCT.

You don't qualify
Our records show you don’t qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill because:
  • You haven’t served on active duty for at least 90 days after September 10, 2001, and/or
  • Your service component let us know that you didn’t receive an honorable discharge
  • If the information in our records isn't accurate, please call us at 888-GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551), Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. ET.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE IN ADVANCE.

From the VA.

Post-9/11 GI Bill
If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty,
or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran (after September 10,2001)
or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days,

you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. Purple Heart recipients, regardless of length of service, are qualified for Post-9/11 benefits at the 100% level. Certain members of the Reserves who lost education benefits when REAP was sunset in November 2015, may also be eligible to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

See VA.gov | Veterans Affairs <---LINK

Recommend you call the VA at 888-GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551), Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. ET.

Ron

This was written in a clearer manner...from VA:

Am I eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) benefits?

You can get these education benefits if you meet at least one of the requirements listed below.
At least one of these must be true. You:
  • Served at least 90 days on active duty (either all at once or with breaks in service) on or after September 11, 2001, or
  • Received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged after any amount of service, or
  • Served for at least 30 continuous days (all at once, without a break in service) on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability, or
  • Are a dependent child using benefits transferred by a qualifying Veteran or service member
Note: If you’re a member of the Reserves who lost education benefits when the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) ended in November 2015, you may qualify to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) | Veterans Affairs <---LINK

I was medically discharged I don’t have a dishonorable discharge. The VA made no mention of my service connected disability retirement.

Document deleted per request of OP. RonG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was medically discharged I don’t have a dishonorable discharge. The VA made no mention of my service connected disability retirement.
No one said you had a dishonorable (or less than honorable) discharge. You mentioned the letter stated,
  • "You haven’t served on active duty for at least 90 days after September 10, 2001, and/or
  • Your service component let us know that you didn’t receive an honorable discharge"
In other words, not even the document you cited shows you had a less than honorable discharge.

The document you provided shows you were medically retired under the following law:
10 U.S. Code § 1204 - Members on active duty for 30 days or less or on inactive-duty training: retirement <----LINK

Maybe @Guardguy11 or @tony292 or @chaplaincharlie can be of some assistance to you.

Ron

You can get these education benefits if you meet at least one of the requirements listed below.
  • Served at least 90 days on active duty (either all at once or with breaks in service) on or after September 11, 2001, or
  • Received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged after any amount of service, or
  • Served for at least 30 continuous days (all at once, without a break in service) on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability, or
  • Are a dependent child using benefits transferred by a qualifying Veteran or service member

The 30 day rule has an “and” requirement that a member is “honorably discharged” and a “with” requirement of a “service connected disability.”

I have no SA of the OP’s reason for being discharged while in the training pipeline. So I will discuss some possibilities. If the condition existed prior to service, for example, there would be no service connected disability. On the other hand, if the OP was injured in training, then there would be a service connected disability. One common reason for pipeline separation is failure to adapt. That is not a service connected disability

The 30 day rule has an “and” requirement that a member is “honorably discharged” and a “with” requirement of a “service connected disability.”

I have no SA of the OP’s reason for being discharged while in the training pipeline. So I will discuss some possibilities. If the condition existed prior to service, for example, there would be no service connected disability. On the other hand, if the OP was injured in training, then there would be a service connected disability. One common reason for pipeline separation is failure to adapt. That is not a service connected disability

I was a drilling Army reservist for over 6 years. I was not discharged while in training pipeline. I entered 08/09 and discharged 08/15. My retirement is for service connected issues.

I was a drilling Army reservist for over 6 years. I was not discharged while in training pipeline. I entered 08/09 and discharged 08/15. My retirement is for service connected issues.
Part of the initial confusion in this case was due to, "I was medically discharged [no mention of retirement initially] I don’t have a dishonorable discharge." Discharge implies without retirement. Your document, since deleted, shows you have a disability retirement.

Your document shows you were retired under:
10 U.S. Code § 1204. Members on active duty for 30 days or less or on inactive-duty training: retirement

Recommendation. Do this: If the information in our records isn't accurate, please call us at 888-GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551), Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. ET.

Ron

Part of the initial confusion in this case was due to, "I was medically discharged [no mention of retirement initially] I don’t have a dishonorable discharge." Discharge implies without retirement. Your document, since deleted, shows you have a disability retirement.

Your document shows you were retired under:
10 U.S. Code § 1204. Members on active duty for 30 days or less or on inactive-duty training: retirement

Recommendation. Do this: If the information in our records isn't accurate, please call us at 888-GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551), Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. ET.

Ron
Thank you Ron

Thank you for the clarification.

Mike Thank you for your assistance.Those of you giving guidance on here were what kept me sane through my MEB process. I’m so grateful I found this site.
What benefit did you apply for using the post 911 bill?

What benefit did you apply for using the post 911 bill?
I’ve been trying to get education benefits. My thought is if I qualify I could transfer it to my son. When you say what benefit I’m at a loss. I was under the understanding it covers tuition, books and fee, and provides a Stipend. please Advise if I’m missing something.

thank you again for your assistance.

The VA has lots of benefits, after the earlier fiasco on my part, I wanted to make sure I was addressing your issue.

The VA has lots of benefits, after the earlier fiasco on my part, I wanted to make sure I was addressing your issue.

I called the VA education Area this morning. I was told that the necessary information for my retirement status and other information needed for post 911 approval comes directly from Milconnect.

My milconnect is completely blank under the Retirement tab. Is this something I need to be worried about retirement? I called DFAS held for 40 mins as milconnect advised to make corrections to info contact Contact DFAS. I explained to the rep what I needed and was then disconnected. This really should not be so hard.

I suspect there is a data glitch either with your service or with DFAS. Are you getting paid?

Do you have a MyPay retirement account? See https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/manage/mypay.html <---LINK

If you are retired and even if your retired pay is reduced to zero by the amount of your VA compensation, there will be an accounting of your retired pay on MyPay and a DFAS RAS.
One is produced each year a COLA increase occurs. If one still receives some retired pay, a RAS is produced each month.

Your Retiree Account Statement (RAS) is a two-page document issued by DFAS that summarizes your pay, benefits and deductions at a specific point in time. ... A monthly electronic Retiree Account Statement (eRAS) is available to all military retirees currently receiving retirement payments.

Recommend you resume your efforts with DFAS. In addition to telephone, you can use AskDFAS https://www.dfas.mil/AskDFAS.html <---LINK

Ron

I had this problem this summer for my daughter using my GI bill, I ended up calling HRC to verify everything was correct, then call the VA education regional office. The issues was that because I am 100% P&T it wanted her to use the chapter 35 benefits first. So we had to play with the application to get it right.

I suspect that's what you will need to do first.

Yes I’m getting paid
Including an accounting of your retired pay (likely waived in total) on a DFAS RAS?

Ron